Buying 2nd hand car, different name on blue book and sale contract

Hi everyone, a friend of mine wants to buy a second hand car. The Thai lady who sells the car is not the owner but she has paperwork from the owner (a Thai man), filled in and signed: copy of his ID card, transfer form, power of attorney (blank, just signed and giving authorization to do the name transfer), and also the original blue book, insurance, PRB etc. The only problem is the purchase&sale contract, which is not signed by the owner but by the lady who has got the car. She says she's authorized because she's the new owner, but she couldn't show any proof of this when we asked, and she didn't want to get in touch with the owner in any way. So she's clearly not the owner, the Thai guy still is. First question, is the contract valid even if the name at the bottom is not the owner's name?

Now what is going to happen is that the lady will go with my friend to the DLT in order to do the transfer there (and settle the payment), as she said the DLT is not going to check the purchase&sale contract anyway. Hence the second question, if the DLT agrees to do the name tranfer and my friend has his name in the blue book, is he clear from any future trouble?

Thanks very much for your input.

Seems to me she has authorization to sell the car....if DLT put your name in the blue book its yours....[emoji106]
Yes if they change the name in blue book its all ok....the not changing names is quite common...as long as all documents from original owner are in order them it should be fine.

Petermik is correct 

The man owns it, but since he has given POA to the woman she is able to sign the Sales Contract

If there was any money owing on the car it would be 1 - Maybe stated in book (but I don't think so ) 2 - Certainly be held by a finance company 

Archived