LINE voice call stability

What is your experience with using LINE voice calls over a data connection?

With my 4G on my phone most of the time it works fine.

However other times I will be on a call and me and the other person will suddenly not hear 1 or 2 words in each sentence for example.

Bizarrely, just after I hang up, my phone will switch down from 4G to "H+", before shortly returning to 4G again.

I have an unlimited mobile data package.

Anything to do with the rain today or is that just a diversion from a software issue?

Thanks.

Edited by punchandjudy

14 hours ago, punchandjudy said:

However other times I will be on a call and me and the other person will suddenly not hear 1 or 2 words in each sentence for example.

Bizarrely, just after I hang up, my phone will switch down from 4G to "H+", before shortly returning to 4G again.

The call quality is dependent on so many different factors, the weather probably not being one, outside your control. Then remember that the called party also has similar factors, and so drop-outs are hardly surprising. The network (speed, latency, jitter), the phone's hardware, the microphone/speaker, the environment, how the phone handles interrupts/notifications, all are contributing factors. 

I have to say though, when I use LINE for audio calls between the U.S. and Thailand, with both parties on WiFi with higher-end phones, the quality is shockingly good. Much better than circuit-switched calls (using toll bypass).

Phones have all sorts of methods for dealing with changing network requirements. Some have inherent (firmware) power-saving techniques to toggle up/down (3G <-> LTE) based on what you happen to be doing. And the phone is continuously negotiating with the network for service/bandwidth. For voice calls your phone may have to drop down to 3G, unless your phone, the network, and the called party's phone/network all support VoLTE.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The call quality is dependent on so many different factors, the weather probably not being one, outside your control. Then remember that the called party also has similar factors, and so drop-outs are hardly surprising. The network (speed, latency, jitter), the phone's hardware, the microphone/speaker, the environment, how the phone handles interrupts/notifications, all are contributing factors. 

I have to say though, when I use LINE for audio calls between the U.S. and Thailand, with both parties on WiFi with higher-end phones, the quality is shockingly good. Much better than circuit-switched calls (using toll bypass).

Phones have all sorts of methods for dealing with changing network requirements. Some have inherent (firmware) power-saving techniques to toggle up/down (3G <-> LTE) based on what you happen to be doing. And the phone is continuously negotiating with the network for service/bandwidth. For voice calls your phone may have to drop down to 3G, unless your phone, the network, and the called party's phone/network all support VoLTE.

Very comprehensive explanation mtls2005, thank you.

To be honest I have better experience with call quality on Messenger, but as you must know Thais prefer to use LINE.

16 minutes ago, Patanawet said:

One problem I often have with LINE is that sometimes, during a call, my own voice comes back a second or two later as an echo. 

I redial and all is fine again -- only me?

Does this happen often? Calling different parties? Does the called party have their phone on speakerphone? It's not unheard of, but actually shouldn't be happening very often.

On 19/04/2018 at 12:46 PM, Patanawet said:

One problem I often have with LINE is that sometimes, during a call, my own voice comes back a second or two later as an echo. 

I redial and all is fine again -- only me?

No not just you I also get the annoying echo!

In a strange way it is kinda reassuring that someone else is experiencing the same issues as me