how much do new laptops sell for in ch mai

cubism001

Hi, thanks again.  My laptop crashed and I'll have to buy a new one.  What's the situation in Ch Mai now for buying new laptops?  I'm in the States now, in a cheap state but the prices are Lenovo $300+, Dell about the same, no Toshibas and few Samsungs.   Thanks so much.

Hi, thanks again.  My laptop crashed and I'll have to buy a new one.  What's the situation in Ch Mai now for buying new laptops?  I'm in the States now, in a cheap state but the prices are Lenovo $300+, Dell about the same, no Toshibas and few Samsungs.   Thanks so much.
Electronics including laptop are dirt cheap in the US. Buy it from US

Sent from my BND-L34 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy a new laptop for as little as 7000 THB or a little over $200 USD if you look for sales.  I bought one less than a year ago for 8500 THB and change.  Acer Aspire 3.  AMD duel core, 4 GB Ram, large display.  Check Siam TV, Icon Square, and Pantip Plaza.  Look for sales.  Most of these places will have the same sale prices within a couple of hundred baht.  Happy hunting!  :thumbsup:

On 4/19/2018 at 5:47 AM, onera1961 said:

Electronics including laptop are dirt cheap in the US. Buy it from US

Sent from my BND-L34 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, buy it from US. Laptops are more expensive here in Thailand. That's a surprise. Base prices for electronic goods seem to be the same everywhere in the world, but it's marked up higher here in Thailand.

Furthermore, you have those Thai characters written on the keyboard which you might not want. And also those Thai style power cords which you can't use when you go back.

Edited by EricTh

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

Yes, buy it from US. Laptops are more expensive here in Thailand. That's a surprise. Base prices for electronic goods seem to be the same everywhere in the world, but it's marked up higher here in Thailand.

If timing permits, maybe you can buy it just before you travel to get the VAT back. That's save another 7% which could close the price gap. I might have done that back in 2010. 

On a related note, don't they make the harddisks/SSD here? I was looking at J.I.B. prices online and they seem much higher. I am looking for an "older" SSD since my laptop can only go up to SATA-2, was hoping they are discounting those now. Around town, those larger computer stores seem to be disappearing, I.T. City and J.I.B are two of those.

Matt

4 hours ago, st11x said:

If timing permits, maybe you can buy it just before you travel to get the VAT back. That's save another 7% which could close the price gap. I might have done that back in 2010. 

On a related note, don't they make the harddisks/SSD here? I was looking at J.I.B. prices online and they seem much higher. I am looking for an "older" SSD since my laptop can only go up to SATA-2, was hoping they are discounting those now. Around town, those larger computer stores seem to be disappearing, I.T. City and J.I.B are two of those.

Matt

JIB is not "disappearing". They have about 5+ branches in C.M. and god knows how many in Bangkok and elsewhere in the Kingdom. They do huge business - institutional, etc.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

And also those Thai style power cords which you can't use when you go back.

And if you buy in the US the plug might not fit here :smile:

But that's a negligible issue. Adapters are available and if you want it perfect the cord  from the plug to the AC adapter can be changed.

Fortunately the AC adapters are universal types nowadays (110 V to 240 V, 50 to 60 Hz) so a US laptop won't go up in smoke when connected to 220 V (as a kettle would :biggrin:).

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

JIB is not "disappearing". They have about 5+ branches in C.M. and god knows how many in Bangkok and elsewhere in the Kingdom. They do huge business - institutional, etc.

Just bought a new desktop PC that I am writing from in the district town at JIB.

And by far the best source in the sleepy district town.

Opened some months ago.

The local Tesco quickly gave up their amateurish laptop/PC corner.

All gone :smile:

The issue of proper Windows installation and licensing can be overcome cheaply if you are able to install on your own.

Has been discussed in another thread and would probably blow up this one.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I built a new system here. 

Ordered from invadeIT. Yes more expensive then J.I.B but it had or could order the parts I needed with ease.

Great service from them but at a premium. We had a lot of trouble sorting out my Motherboard with a Ryzen CPU and cooler on it. They sorted it all out for me before it landed. I could have done it in CM, but I could not get the high-end parts I wanted as easy as InvadeIT.

Graphics cards were so hard to source, the two M.2  slots at the speed (3000/2400) and size (480Gb) that I wanted would have been unavailable for a long wait time. As with the RAM, it was the same finding what I wanted was not that easy to order. 

Ordered also two Qnap NASs from Lazada and WD Red 4TB drives. Lazada was, in fact, great but once again, much more expensive compared to the States. As a tech head, I would love to have Amazon here and those lovely prices. I bought at Corsair 63 Wireless back lite keyboard last week. Was 4,650 baht.

Compared to the States, way overpriced but that is the price of living here. 

Edited by totally thaied up
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just bought a new desktop PC that I am writing from in the district town at JIB.

And by far the best source in the sleepy district town.

Opened some months ago.

The local Tesco quickly gave up their amateurish laptop/PC corner.

All gone :smile:

The issue of proper Windows installation and licensing can be overcome cheaply if you are able to install on your own.

Has been discussed in another thread and would probably blow up this one.

JIB is the best. Their prices are the best and they will even entertain additional discounts if you ask.:sleep: They have so much stock around the Kingdom that if they don't have something in the city you are in, they will find it in the computer and get it there, in most cases overnight. One time I was trying to buy something and they could only find one piece - in their Koh Samui location. They had to me in about 36 hours! That was impressive. I believe they will deliver in Bangkok within 2 hours of making a purchase. In the last 11 years I've bought 95% of my computer hardware from them.

10 hours ago, elektrified said:

JIB is the best. Their prices are the best and they will even entertain additional discounts if you ask.:sleep: They have so much stock around the Kingdom that if they don't have something in the city you are in, they will find it in the computer and get it there, in most cases overnight. One time I was trying to buy something and they could only find one piece - in their Koh Samui location. They had to me in about 36 hours! That was impressive. I believe they will deliver in Bangkok within 2 hours of making a purchase. In the last 11 years I've bought 95% of my computer hardware from them.

Where are they based in CM? Excuse my ignorance

35 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Where are they based in CM? Excuse my ignorance

Airport Plaza, Central Festival, Back of Icon Plaza, Pantip Plaza

Has a big Blue Sign like J.I.B 

I think Central Festival has a good range of parts more-so. You will see water-cooled Rigs set up out the front of most.

If needing something higher end, will need to order. IT World across the other side has plenty of decent keyboards and mice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

Airport Plaza, Central Festival, Back of Icon Plaza, Pantip Plaza

Has a big Blue Sign like J.I.B

Yes, that's correct. They also have a location in the front of the building directly next to Icon Plaza. They closed the location in the building which is now Amorn and moved next-door to a smaller space.

Edited by elektrified

On 5/2/2018 at 7:52 AM, EricTh said:

Furthermore, you have those Thai characters written on the keyboard which you might not want.

Funny, I was about to say if you buy in USA you won't have Thai characters, which you might want. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2018 at 7:52 AM, EricTh said:

Furthermore, you have those Thai characters written on the keyboard which you might not want. And also those Thai style power cords which you can't use when you go back.

Not sure this is the way to reply, but...A computer tech in the States put a new op system on my old Thai toshiba, so I didn't have to buy anything!  (Wasn't that nice?)  Thank you all for your help.  Very glad to be back!