Building A Wall

qpgwmh

Hello,

We plan to build a wall around our house soon and I wanted to get some advice on how much we should expect to pay.

I know nothing about wall building, although it would seem that we should build a cement wall (reinforced with steel) that is supported by concrete posts. There are blocks assembled between the posts like large bricks that are then cemented over giving a flat, smooth finish.

Firstly I would like to know people's opinions on the best way of keeping the cost down without sacrificing quality. I'm debating whether to pay for materials myself and then labourers on a daily rate or whether to pay a one-off total fee for everything included. I've been quoted 1,400baht per 'section' if we pay on a one-off basis. I don't know how long each section is although I believe it's a fairly standard method of wall construction. Does this price sound about right?

I want to also ask about drainage requirements, guarantees for work and whether there is anything else that we need to take into account before going ahead with this.

Many many thanks for any help that you may be able to offer us.

If you want to build the best wall for the least money then the first thing you need to do is to figure out why you want to build a wall and what functions is it will perform for you. Some people will think, "well its obvious what the wall will do...it will do this, that, and the other thing." Often however they are just parroting what a wall does and have really given no thought to whether they really need or want any of those particular features. For example: "A wall gives you privacy." ....but do you really need or want privacy? Maybe you do...maybe you don't.....do you like to walk around naked?....do you hate your neighbors? A good point to remember is that a wall will isolate you from your neighbors and will not only give you privacy but might give a thief privacy to do his job. I'm not wanting to go into all of this in detail...I'm just saying that you should consider what you want from your wall since you might really just want a fence, or a small section of wall with the rest in fence....I don't know, just a heads up.

Chownah

If you want to build the best wall for the least money then the first thing you need to do is to figure out why you want to build a wall and what functions is it will perform for you. Some people will think, "well its obvious what the wall will do...it will do this, that, and the other thing." Often however they are just parroting what a wall does and have really given no thought to whether they really need or want any of those particular features. For example: "A wall gives you privacy." ....but do you really need or want privacy? Maybe you do...maybe you don't.....do you like to walk around naked?....do you hate your neighbors? A good point to remember is that a wall will isolate you from your neighbors and will not only give you privacy but might give a thief privacy to do his job. I'm not wanting to go into all of this in detail...I'm just saying that you should consider what you want from your wall since you might really just want a fence, or a small section of wall with the rest in fence....I don't know, just a heads up.

Chownah

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm certain that I want a wall and I'm seeking some practical advice as to the costs and construction considerations.

Perhaps somebody with experience of having a wall built will be able to offer us some guidance?

Don't ya just hate it when someone answers a question with a question....."now why do you want to build a wall"....shutup!.....go and second guess someone elses life!

Got that off my chest!

Generally the walls are 2.4m (8 blocks) wide. Depending on the height will determine the cost but 1400 is too high unless your having a wall over 2m with lateral supports. YES, always buy the materials yourself and NO never pay on a daywork basis. Typically the walls are only finished on both faces if it is road side, otherwise they will only plan to finish on the internal face. Do you plan to have some metalwork on top or just a straight finish? Give me more info and I can help ya.

Cheers. TT

Don't you just hate it when someone says "No, never do...." especially when this is the way you always have done it? It's probably best to never say never.

Got that off my chest!

I built all my walls by paying on a day work basis. I paid about the same for the labor as I would if I had contracted the labor for a standard wall but I upgraded the design so I built a wall that is as strong as some people's houses and I built a storage building and a covered work/storage area along one stretch of the wall starting at a corner.....using two walls as walls for the building and one stretch of wall as a windbreak on one side of the covered area. Of course this is probably illegal in some places because I built too close to the lot line (so someone is likely to come on and say "NO, never do.....") but where I live there is no building permit required and noone cares. The only comment anyone has made was to ask me if I was going to open a store there!!!

Chownah

P.S. Living in a really small village is positively wonderful....you want to build somethng?.....just do it....no paperwork....just buy the materials and have at it!!!..........freedom at last ....."thank God almighty I'm free at last" (MLK Jr.)

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Don't ya just hate it when someone answers a question with a question....."now why do you want to build a wall"....shutup!.....go and second guess someone elses life!

Got that off my chest!

Generally the walls are 2.4m (8 blocks) wide. Depending on the height will determine the cost but 1400 is too high unless your having a wall over 2m with lateral supports. YES, always buy the materials yourself and NO never pay on a daywork basis. Typically the walls are only finished on both faces if it is road side, otherwise they will only plan to finish on the internal face. Do you plan to have some metalwork on top or just a straight finish? Give me more info and I can help ya.

Cheers. TT

Hi TT,

Maybe you could help me a bit here. I am after a roughish guide as to what amount of materials I would need for two different types of wall and if I am extremely lucky today maybe a price per metre for materials and also for labour.

Lets just talk about per metre or maybe it would be easier per 2.4 metre section. The first is a retaining wall 2 metres high and 50 metres long This would be retaining my filled land with the rice paddy next door.

The second would be your standard perimeter wall, 2 metres high with breeze blocks making up the topmost 600mm or so.

I realise this is a broad question with many possible variations, I am about to have these walls quoted and thinking of your advise to buy materials and then negotiate a job price/per metre price but NOT a dayrate.

Thanks for any advise you or anyone else can provide.

Andy

Edited by khunandy

One thing to remember with a wall is that while it constitutes your boundary it can also be used by your neighbours as their wall as demonstrated recently with our neighbours building a pig pen right next to our wall. I can't do anything about that.

I also live in a small village and what Chownah says cuts both ways. Use it to your advantage.

Have just seen ur last post....our wall is 120 m , we bought all the materials, cement,blocks,sand, rebar etc and paid 2 men 150 each per 2m panel, 9000 Baht labour, took them about 1 month to complete.

Rendering is extra.

Edited by OneeyedJohn