Taxis and public buses fine and dandy at Suvarnabhumi - almost

snoop1130

Taxis and public buses fine and dandy at Suvarnabhumi - almost

dfb31a93b59766dd3743ba3221841c34.jpg

Inspectors from the Department of Land Transport swooped on Bangkok's main airport on Wednesday taking a long hard look at taxis and  public buses carrying passengers on the fourth and first floors.

Chief Inspector Saksit Bunsanga said that he was happy there was not much lawbreaking - certainly less than usual.

The swoop followed public unrest caused in part by YouTuber Danny Mac who had a bad experience in a taxi that was posted online and went viral.

Saksit tol JorSor 100 said that his men were on the lookout for illegal cabs and other public transport breaking the law. He said that transport from the airport was right in the public eye and highly visible to tourists.

If there were problems posts were made online causing damage to the country so his men and the drivers themselves realize there is high importance attached to providing a good service.

He made no reference to the YouTube post. 

Some 18 vehicles were found to be breaking the law. Of these 15 were taxis with five red plates being used, 3 drivers were without licences, two that had had no meter checks and 5 which exceeded the 9 year limit on taxi age. The last of these were ordered to have their status changed to that of private cars.

Three public buses were found to contravene the regulations - one with a broken window, one with no tax and one with too many seats. 

Saksit said cases of lawbreaking were down on the usual amount due to the strict measures enforced at the airport especially on the first floor where arriving passengers are met and taken to city destinations and elsewhere. 

Source: http://www.js100.com/en/site/news/view/54655

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-4-19
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Chief Inspector Saksit Bunsanga said that he was happy there was not much lawbreaking - certainly less than usual.

so they Know what is 'usual' and employ a blind eye; i guess a certain level of crime is quite ok

6 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

so they Know what is 'usual' and employ a blind eye; i guess a certain level of crime is quite ok

If that's the case then he needs to visit an optician, definitely within the next two years - then he'll have 2020 vision.

• Haha 1

If there were problems posts were made online causing damage to the country so his men and the drivers themselves realize there is high importance attached to providing a good service.

The problem posts are causing damage to the country! Might want to rethink that.

Good of police to wear full dress with day glo markings. Could see them coming from a mile away (tho I imagine some calls were made prior to big crackdown). Heaven forbid they should go in "plain clothes"... after all they are so "plain". Just love those tailored uniforms.

Next time, fire a distress rocket before showing up

• Like 1

Whenever I fly into Swampy, headed for Jomtien, I first check the bus outfit on the 1st floor. If it's booked up for at least the next 2 hours, I go check the taxis on the 4th floor.

I then negotiate a price, typically 1600 baht including toll. Are THOSE guys supposed to be using meters as well?

Interesting comments here. We come into Swampy 2-3 times a year and over the last 3 years we have had no issues whatsoever with queues or meters.  A couple of drivers may have deviated from the most direct route  for an extra 50 Bt or so but they could also have been avoiding traffic jams, checkpoints etc. One driver pocketed the change from the 2 tolls (~35 Bt) saying tip! which just meant we gave him the exact fare at the end.

'Saksit tol JorSor 100 said that ... ... If there were problems posts were made online causing damage to the country so his men and the drivers themselves realize there is high importance attached to providing a good service.' No doubt, the good service will short and sweet ... short, anyway.

'... 15 were taxis with five red plates being used, 3 drivers were without licences, two that had had no meter checks and 5 which exceeded the 9 year limit on taxi age.' A few B500 fines, and not one causing passenger problems, eh? Nah, of course not. They need to spend a lot more time and care watching what's going on they did  than on this occasion. Logically, not in uniform.

On 4/20/2018 at 9:32 AM, quandow said:

Whenever I fly into Swampy, headed for Jomtien, I first check the bus outfit on the 1st floor. If it's booked up for at least the next 2 hours, I go check the taxis on the 4th floor.

That's an old strategy. Which, no doubt, is why they banned it. Obviously, you've managed to avoid any issues so far.