Black And Whites

Nignoy

Greetings Earthlings,Stumbled across some of my early photo,s from my misspent youth in Isaan, back when Lao Khao and Lipovitan were a :o hangover cureany one interested in see ing them let me know :D Nignoy

Nice photos, I really like looking at them, how about some more :D

Greetings Earthlings,Stumbled across some of my early photo,s from my misspent youth in Isaan, back when Lao Khao and Lipovitan were a :o hangover cureany one interested in see ing them let me know :D Nignoy

Yes, more please - and can you tell us when / where ?

Cheers,

Mike

Yes, more please - and can you tell us when / where ?

Cheers,

Mike

Will put a collection together, those first 2 are the main road from amnat to Leong nok tha august 1962, and the sappers or Sawadi bar, in Ban kotalat march 1963 :D Nignoy

PS this crown camp 1964

post-11182-1169875175_thumb.jpg

Yes these are great if you do have more I would like to see them.

• 5 months later...

Talking about stumbling, came across this site, could you be talking about Op/Post Crown in the late sixtys?. If so I was a REME Craftsman there in 67/68. Still serving as a Major! Seems like a dream, nobody acknowledge we were there!

Good stuff Nignoy, I have driven that Amnat/Leong Nok Tha road a few times and it certainly has changed. I will be up that way towards the end of Aug. Looking forward to seeing some more pics.

Sezzo

Talking about stumbling, came across this site, could you be talking about Op/Post Crown in the late sixtys?. If so I was a REME Craftsman there in 67/68. Still serving as a Major! Seems like a dream, nobody acknowledge we were there!

Yes I am talking about Op crown,I served there from 1/8/1962 till 1/4/1966, from tents to completion,sadly you arrived to late for me to know you ,also to late to qualify for the GSM Thailand but if you were on detachment from a unit in Singapore or Malaya you qualify for the Pingat jasa Malaysia Medal ,which is being issued to british troops on Campaign service in support of Malaysia :D Nignoy

What a fascinating thread, both for the pictures and the wider history! I'd guess that the idea of HM forces in Isaan has a special resonance for the many Brits who post here, as well as the Aussies. The thread jolted my memory about seeing something along these lines on the web and prompted me to do a quick search. Operation Crown seems to be a little known and highly controversial chapter in military history.

http://www.remuseum.org.uk/corpshistory/rem_corps_part19.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/poetryantiwar/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Ac...Medal_1945-1975

No doubt Khun Nignoy could tell us a longer story if the whim took him. Probably the above isn't news to the old hands and I apologise if this has been done to death in the past. Although I don't think it refers to the same episode, I have also come across rumours that there were British military casualties in Isaan in the 1960s. Does Nignoy think there could be any truth in this?

What a fascinating thread, both for the pictures and the wider history! I'd guess that the idea of HM forces in Isaan has a special resonance for the many Brits who post here, as well as the Aussies. The thread jolted my memory about seeing something along these lines on the web and prompted me to do a quick search. Operation Crown seems to be a little known and highly controversial chapter in military history.

http://www.remuseum.org.uk/corpshistory/rem_corps_part19.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/poetryantiwar/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Ac...Medal_1945-1975

No doubt Khun Nignoy could tell us a longer story if the whim took him. Probably the above isn't news to the old hands and I apologise if this has been done to death in the past. Although I don't think it refers to the same episode, I have also come across rumours that there were British military casualties in Isaan in the 1960s. Does Nignoy think there could be any truth in this?

The death of sapper jim Box in ban kud kho kan on the evening of november the 29th 1965 was one of the reasons I had to leave op crown, he is buried in Kranji in singapore, there were at least 3 deaths on Op crown and in the early years lots of casualties, Pay no attention to MR Bach the WAR POET who publishes on Angelfire,he came too op crown end of 66 when the op was winding down,he has been campaigning for an active service medal ever since, He came to see me in ningi 1999 we talked about my experiences in Isaan, a couple of weeks later he was giving interviews on ABC radio and television about his wartime active service in Thailand using my stories as his own. and protesting that the british government denied him an active service medal for thailand, I think he is entitled to the Pattaya VD andBar :D It took me the best part of 30 years to find where the Op crown casualties were buried, now we visit the graves in Kranji once a year Lest We Forget :o Nignoy

Great Land Rover pic there.... more please if you have them...

The death of sapper jim Box in ban kud kho kan on the evening of november the 29th 1965 was one of the reasons I had to leave op crown, he is buried in Kranji in singapore, there were at least 3 deaths on Op crown and in the early years lots of casualties, Pay no attention to MR Bach the WAR POET who publishes on Angelfire,he came too op crown end of 66 when the op was winding down,he has been campaigning for an active service medal ever since, He came to see me in ningi 1999 we talked about my experiences in Isaan, a couple of weeks later he was giving interviews on ABC radio and television about his wartime active service in Thailand using my stories as his own. and protesting that the british government denied him an active service medal for thailand, I think he is entitled to the Pattaya VD andBar :D It took me the best part of 30 years to find where the Op crown casualties were buried, now we visit the graves in Kranji once a year Lest We Forget :o Nignoy

I noticed one loose end from the earlier e-mail discussion on this topic and wondered if Nignoy might have a view on this. Last year another poster, who identified himself as a former medical orderly, stated said that he had had to arrange the certificate of death for Jim Box with a local doctor and said that he had been told he was shot by a Thai man who claimed Box had entered his house. Nignoy had stated that the shooting was a case of 'hostile action', and by implication not mistaken identity. The histories say that the Communist Party of Thailand became involved in some limited armed action in the NE from 1965 onwards, and by the 1970s mounted a few small raids on US airfields. Does Nignoy think this could have been an early (Nov 1965) example of CPT insurgency?

Fascinating subject.

I've been trying to find out more about the communist insurgency in the Isaan area. My wife lost a brother who was serving as a national serviceman in the Thai army at Dansai in Loie province in or around 1975. When did ops cease?

Incidentally, I was at a bike meet near Nong bua lampu a couple of months ago. I heard the venue (from what I could see, on a hill in the middle of nowhere) had been a communist stronghold and a site where they could monitor the Udon airbase from. During the night shooting could be heard. I think it must be near a mil trg area. Anyway, there were those amongst us who were convinced the guerrillas were still out there planning to return.