Avicii, Swedish electronic dance music artist and DJ, dead at 28

rooster59

Avicii, Swedish electronic dance music artist and DJ, dead at 28

800x800 (5).jpg

Swedish musician, DJ, remixer and record producer Avicii (Tim Bergling) takes a selfie on Table Mountain, South Africa in this picture obtained from social media January 11, 2018. Instagram/Avicii via REUTERS

(Reuters) - Swedish DJ and record producer Avicii, one of the biggest stars of electronic dance music (EDM) in Europe, was found dead on Friday at the age of 28, his U.S. publicist said.

Avicii, whose real name is Tim Bergling, died in Muscat, Oman.

"It is with profound sorrow that we announce the loss of Tim Bergling, also known as Avicii," publicist Diana Baron said in a statement. "The family is devastated and we ask everyone to please respect their need for privacy in this difficult time."

No cause of death was given, and it was not known why the musician was in Oman. Baron said no further statements would be released.

Avicii, known for international hits like "Wake Me Up" and "Hey Brother," announced in 2016 that he was retiring from touring, but he kept making music and was nominated for a Billboard music award earlier this week.

News of his death shocked the EDM community and fans, particularly in Europe, where he was a popular attraction at festivals and dance clubs.

Fellow British DJ Calvin Harris called his death "devastating news," adding on Twitter that Avicii was: "a beautiful soul, passionate and extremely talented with so much more to do."

EDM artist Deadmau5 said in a post on Twitter: "Nobody can deny what he has accomplished and done for modern dance music and im (sic) very proud of him."

Former One Direction member Liam Payne said via Twitter that Avicii's demise was "very very sad news way (too) young ... what a talent he was."

Avicii told Billboard magazine he decided to stop touring in 2016 for health reasons. Three years earlier, he underwent surgery for a ruptured appendix and a blocked gall bladder and in 2012, he was hospitalized with pancreatitis.

"The scene was not for me. It was not the shows and not the music. It was always the other stuff surrounding it that never came naturally to me," he told Billboard magazine of his decision to quit touring in 2016.

"I'm more of an introverted person in general. It was always very hard for me. I took on board too much negative energy, I think," he said at the time.

Avicii won a number of American Music Awards, Billboard music awards and MTV Europe Music awards for his EDM work. He also collaborated with Carlos Santana and Wyclef Jean on the official anthem for the 2014 soccer World Cup in Brazil, "We Will Find a Way."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-21

9 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

As he was a recovering alcoholic who had serious health issues, a shortened life span was expected.

I hope his dog is taken care of as he loved him alot.

Image result for avicii's dog

in the news they are saying a shock death but i remember about 2 years ago when he sold out the impact arena and said this might be one of his last major performances due to serious health issues. i am sure there was mention of cancer then

This guy was making 250,000 dollars a night doing his DJ thing. Of course very different to DJ's in my youth when all they did was play records. Now they make records, have a huge following in many countries. On Spotify he had 11 billion streams from many of his followers. A short but crazy life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mansell said:

This guy was making 250,000 dollars a night doing his DJ thing. Of course very different to DJ's in my youth when all they did was play records. Now they make records, have a huge following in many countries. On Spotify he had 11 billion streams from many of his followers. A short but crazy life.

He lived a whole life time in 28 years, than most us do in our longer period on this planet. It's not the quantity, it's the quality that counts!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Happy enough said:

laugh all you like gaff. he was good and had an amazing life be it short. good till the end. not bitter. when he came here and sold out impact and you saw the frenzy maybe you'd see how little you are. keep laughing

I do not tell that millions people who do not listen ridiculous dance music and buy overpriced tickets.

I just say that compared to great electro artists he was just a reason to laugh.

Even Calving Harris can do better !!!

Edited by gaff
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, gaff said:

I do not tell that millions people who do not listen ridiculous dance music and buy overpriced tickets.

I just say that compared to great electro artists he was just a reason to laugh.

i come from the old school of rock n roll; 60's, 70.s, 80,s 90's and play guitar all my life but i can appreciate and like other styles of music and avicil is respected. some catchy tunes, energy and feeling and actually composed and created songs as opposed to your local disco dj.

also listen to classical, jazz, reggae, blues. opera, techno/trance

• Like 2

On 21.4.2018 at 5:59 AM, rooster59 said:

Tim Bergling, also known as Avicii,"

I was surprised to learn that he picked this stage name from the word for Bhuddist "hell". In Thai it sounds a bit different but seemingly true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gaff said:

Calving Harris? Well you're clearly an expert

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i come from the old school of rock n roll; 60's, 70.s, 80,s 90's and play guitar all my life but i can appreciate and like other styles of music and avicil is respected. some catchy tunes, energy and feeling and actually composed and created songs as opposed to your local disco dj.

also listen to classical, jazz, reggae, blues. opera, techno/trance

ps; as a rock n roller i can say every time i listen to pavarotti sing nessun dorma it gives me the chills

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about any young person's death. I had never even heard his name before so I sampled some of his hits. Yes, of course, I've heard his stuff before. My impression is fun and catchy tunes, on the frothy side,  kind of a more modern "bubble gum" music. I'm no music scholar so I was curious if other people saw his stuff as a type of bubble gum music (which in case you don't know is kind of a pejorative unless you're a pre-teen). Not much on google except some rude insults on forums! Anyway, like I said, I'm no music scholar. 

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry to hear about any young person's death. I had never even heard his name before so I sampled some of his hits. Yes, of course, I've heard his stuff before. My impression is fun and catchy tunes, on the frothy side,  kind of a more modern "bubble gum" music. I'm no music scholar so I was curious if other people saw his stuff as a type of bubble gum music (which in case you don't know is kind of a pejorative unless you're a pre-teen). Not much on google except some rude insults on forums! Anyway, like I said, I'm no music scholar. 

Yeah it was very commercial electronic music, he got popular since he was making accessible EDM at the point it took over the US.

Way too young, RIP