Essential Oils For Aromatherapy:

JuniorExPat

I'm sure there must be a plethora (great word, gold star for that one!) of places to buy essential oils in Chiang Mai but I am interested to know if any stand out above the rest in terms of quality and/or price . . .

Does anyone here have any recommendations for places selling aromatherapy oils, just small quantities for home use?

N.B. I'm looking for genuine natural essential oils NOT synthetic oils.

Thanks in advance,

JxP

I'm sure there must be a plethora (great word, gold star for that one!) of places to buy essential oils in Chiang Mai but I am interested to know if any stand out above the rest in terms of quality and/or price . . .

Does anyone here have any recommendations for places selling aromatherapy oils, just small quantities for home use?

Thanks in advance,

JxP

Simialr to Ulysses not something I know a great deal about but a friend of mine from the UK who is into that kind of thing said good things about Herb Basics. They have a shop on Thapae Road not far from the gate and another on Sunday Walking Street on the intersection near the Writers Club.

Good luck on your fine smelling quest :o

Thanks in advance,

JxP

Jxp, the last time my friend went to sayuri, he told me they used oils that were very essential indeed. some aroma to it as well.. you might want to check it out.

:D

sorry can't help you there much. but i could not resist as well :o

TB

Thanks in advance,

JxP

This is going to depend on your needs but as long time massage therapist its easy to get ripped off with inferior, diluted, or even rancid therapeutic oils from contanimation or poor storage. If it was me I would buy/mail order Young oils which are mfg'd in the states. They have invested an immense amount of effort and research into sourcing and producing pure oils. It's not something your going to do well in your garage and doing it well requires serious science and ethics to produce a pure and consistent high quality product. A good quality oil will last a long time in a variety of storage conditions. A poor quality oil spoils and mutates quickly. Poor quality oils have less therapeutic quality and can cause a multitude of adverse reactions like allergies and undesireable stresses by forcing the body to detoxify the oils. Using a poor quality oil defeats the purpose of using the oil in the first place.

Young Oils have been recently eclipsed by a few other firms for quality but your going to pay for it...

Young products are a good reliable value and their therapeutic power can well amplify a therapists skills.

http://www.youngliving.org/US/products.asp

lots of distributors who sell their products and would not be a problem to ship them airmail to thailand. Just google them and you will see lots of sellers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all (except tigerbeer - get back to your beer and pizza! :o ).

Hadn't thought of the Body Shop, will check them out next time I'm there, thanks john b good.

Will keep Youngs in mind if I get hooked on this, they are easy enough to find on Google, thanks CobraSnakeNecktie.

Herb Basics are very good, I'm trying out some of their oils, thanks mickybigears and miltonbentley.

Aden and Baan Suan Pac are places that I have driven past for years and kept meaning to go in but I'm glad I have done now, not too much of a range but I did pick up some bits and bobs there, thanks Ulysses G.

JxP

Thanks all (except tigerbeer - get back to your beer and pizza! :o ).

Hadn't thought of the Body Shop, will check them out next time I'm there, thanks john b good.

Will keep Youngs in mind if I get hooked on this, they are easy enough to find on Google, thanks CobraSnakeNecktie.

Herb Basics are very good, I'm trying out some of their oils, thanks mickybigears and miltonbentley.

Aden and Baan Suan Pac are places that I have driven past for years and kept meaning to go in but I'm glad I have done now, not too much of a range but I did pick up some bits and bobs there, thanks Ulysses G.

JxP

Not to run down Herb Basics or any of the other suggested places - but a word of warning: not all products are what they say they are (e.g. some can be just aroma - synthetic or otherwise - in a base oil). I can vouch for Vitality Zone/Arun Thai - they just won't stock anything that is not 100% pure and natural; they sell during the day from their juice bar just outside the main entrance to Wat Phra Singh as well in the Night Bazaar and Thapae Gate/Square when the market is there at weekends.

Not to run down Herb Basics or any of the other suggested places - but a word of warning: not all products are what they say they are (e.g. some can be just aroma - synthetic or otherwise - in a base oil). I can vouch for Vitality Zone/Arun Thai - they just won't stock anything that is not 100% pure and natural; they sell during the day from their juice bar just outside the main entrance to Wat Phra Singh as well in the Night Bazaar and Thapae Gate/Square when the market is there at weekends.

Thanks Steve2UK, I'll keep that in mind and pay a visit to your recommendation.

JxP