All this carnage and just a 1,000 baht fine after ten injuries following "brake failure".

webfact

16 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

So why did all those other vehicles plough into the back of the lorry? More brake failures?

Not brake failures.

The truck carrying the chickens that hit the rearmost vehicle in the line-up was traveling fast enough to cause all vehicles to be smashed forward into each other until they hit an immovable object ( the truck-trailer rig), also referred to as the "concertina effect" (to give it a musical note).

It  was nobody's fault except "chicken-man" who escaped with a poultry fine of B1000 and free meals at  KFC for a week.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Brake failure again....pathetic and lame. Seems like it has become the default answer to any accident involving a bus or large truck/lorry etc., as obviously no real investigation is happening into causes. As for the fine....pfft, the site wouldn't allow me to post what I really think anyhow.

15 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Yes the vehicle needs to be impounded and tested by a certified trustworthy mechanic, (if such a person can be found.)  Everyone must be well sick of this lame excuse now.  Of course it could be caused by unmaintained brakes with worn out pads/linings etc; then railroad the owner!!!  Note that according to a resident of Patong (Phuket) most of the brake failures on the notorious Patong hill are now out-of-town trucks/busses whose brakes do not hold when they leave it too late to change down and stall on the hill.  Locals have apparently mostly learned to maintain brakes & change down early. Learning to double declutch might still be essential for anyone driving an older vehicle because those who cant are often too scared to change down.

Unless this truck was very old it would have an auto box.

It is down to the lack of driving knowledge, stay on the brake until it fails is all they know.

No hope: the carnage will continue unabated.

:burp:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
  • Like 2

I'm curious about what words the Thai articles are using that gets translated as "brake failure".  Do they always use the same terms?  Is this just a stock (lazy) translation?  My Thai reading sucks or I'd look in to it. 

4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Unless this truck was very old it would have an auto box.

It is down to the lack of driving knowledge, stay on the brake until it fails is all they know.

No hope: the carnage will continue unabated.

:burp:

You are saying that auto gearboxes are now standard in most Thai trucks? That really surprises me a lot.  I will.have to follow that up. Of course the pic shows the truck that stopped the pile-up, not the one that started it.  

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Not brake failures.

The truck carrying the chickens that hit the rearmost vehicle in the line-up was traveling fast enough to cause all vehicles to be smashed forward into each other until they hit an immovable object ( the truck-trailer rig), also referred to as the "concertina effect" (to give it a musical note).

It  was nobody's fault except "chicken-man" who escaped with a poultry fine of B1000 and free meals at  KFC for a week.

The story does not make it clear but is the lorry shown in the photo NOT the one driven by chicken man. As it's the only lorry shown, I assumed that it was.

Just now, hugh2121 said:

The story does not make it clear but is the lorry shown in the photo NOT the one driven by chicken man. As it's the only lorry shown, I assumed that it was.

The truck and trailer unit that all the vehicles ploughed into was a dumper truck and thus an immovable object. The reefer truck containing frozen  chickens is not in the photo.  It plowed into the stopped vehicles creating the piled up cars. a certain amount of imagination is required when reading some of these articles.

17 hours ago, Bob1million said:

Bull crap really
Ive said it before these trucks especially the ten wheelers are always involved in serious so called accidents. My was killed because of a so called accident. And the cosequences for the so called accident, what a small fine.
Pathetic really

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You have missed a word mate. My...............was killed  

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/most-dangerous-countries-to-drive/

For a relatively well-developed country Thailand has a very poor road safety record which is clearly the most-significant risk for tourists.

Reasons: lack of enforcement of safety laws, lax penalties, inadequate maintenance culture, use of stimulants by over-worked commercial drivers, eating of laap (raw meat) which transmits toxoplasmosis of the brain, causing high-risk behaviour.

Thailand needs to work on these causes which have become highly-ingrained over decades and not kept in check by economic development.

2 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

Oh! It's very clear, it's called reading inference and comprehension. Maybe get a 2nd class student to explain it to you. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Congratulations police yet again do you show your Thai people it is OK to drive as morons 

Continue to do this and alot more people will die in traffic 

And surely one day in future the tourism will die too because of lack of enforce the law 

What was that all about? The police convoy was sitting behind a large truck and trailer at a red light. An out of control vehicle came from behind and caused the concertina crash. not exactly the fault of the cops was it?

The apparent B1000 fine to the errant driver of the reefer has caused the most consternation.

On 4/23/2018 at 6:56 PM, ratcatcher said:

Not brake failures.

You may have to explain the poultry joke to some of our overseas readers.

19 minutes ago, stereolab said:

You may have to explain the poultry joke to some of our overseas readers.

Not sure why, I am sure they read and understood the story for what it was, or were you referring to the paltry fine?:smile:

OK, brake failure.  So is anybody suing or can they sue for civil or criminal liability?  Whose responsibility is it to check the truck's brakes?  The trucking firm?  The driver?  Who last repaired or worked on the brakes?  Who made the truck or brakes?  Is there a product defect from the manufacturer.  Sorry,  just thinking out loud.

17 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

You are saying that auto gearboxes are now standard in most Thai trucks? That really surprises me a lot.  I will.have to follow that up. Of course the pic shows the truck that stopped the pile-up, not the one that started it.  

Maybe badly explained, sorry, but the OP states: The driver - Manot Suaylam, 29 - said his truck carrying frozen chicken suffered brake failure before plowing into vehicles waiting at some lights in Nakorn Pathom on March 20th.

My point, as I think you understand, is that the drivers have no training or basic understanding of how to control a vehicle (auto or manual).

Plus there is little effort to ensure vehicles are fit for purpose and drivers are not regularly and randomly tested for drug/alcohol or restricted from excessive hours behind the wheel.

:thumbsup:

On 23/04/2018 at 1:21 PM, wgdanson said:

Ant, or was it Dec.......£86,000 is a big wrist slap.

The quote you included was not attributable to me.  I was refuting that poster's claim.

Please try to keep up.

On 23/04/2018 at 12:49 PM, The Deerhunter said:

Yes the vehicle needs to be impounded and tested by a certified trustworthy mechanic, (if such a person can be found.)  Everyone must be well sick of this lame excuse now.  Of course it could be caused by unmaintained brakes with worn out pads/linings etc; then railroad the owner!!!  Note that according to a resident of Patong (Phuket) most of the brake failures on the notorious Patong hill are now out-of-town trucks/busses whose brakes do not hold when they leave it too late to change down and stall on the hill.  Locals have apparently mostly learned to maintain brakes & change down early. Learning to double declutch might still be essential for anyone driving an older vehicle because those who cant are often too scared to change down.

double declutch !!! They do not get taught this in fact they DONT GET taught to drive at all.

Just now, essox essox said:

double declutch !!! They do not get taught this in fact they DONT GET taught to drive at all.

one can not double declutch an automatic.....but one can change to a lower gear, thus slowing down the vehicle and giving better control of it.

Again they are NOT taught this.....

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

one can not double declutch an automatic.....but one can change to a lower gear, thus slowing down the vehicle and giving better control of it.

Again they are NOT taught this.....

I doubt that many trucks in Thailand are auto so I did not consider this.  Auto trans was mentioned by another poster 

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Maybe badly explained, sorry, but the OP states: The driver - Manot Suaylam, 29 - said his truck carrying frozen chicken suffered brake failure before plowing into vehicles waiting at some lights in Nakorn Pathom on March 20th.

My point, as I think you understand, is that the drivers have no training or basic understanding of how to control a vehicle (auto or manual).

Plus there is little effort to ensure vehicles are fit for purpose and drivers are not regularly and randomly tested for drug/alcohol or restricted from excessive hours behind the wheel.

:thumbsup:

Fair enough, but the bit where you said most trucks in Thailand were auto unless very old had me totally fooled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

Yeah, but if you are in Phuket, use the Patong hill regularly, or any similar hill in Thailand and drive one of those one million, 50 year old Isuzus still on the road here (and are still alive) then I'll bet you can double declutch!  A synchro gear box one one of these?  I have never driven one of them but I sincerely doubt it.   Are you familiar with the notorious Patong hill, site of thousands of accidents and probably hundreds of deaths over the years.  Driving any big rig up or down there would be a real challenge for man, and machine maintenance !!!   It scares me in a modern vehicle because I never know when an old tuck or a double decker tour bus will come back down in reverse at 100KPH.   I have seen an accident on Patong hill at one or other of the danger spots so many times.  Probably 50% of the relatively few times I have driven over it.   But I have been over it as a passenger many times.  Still nervous until back on the flat.

Image result for old isuzu trucks pictures

Edited by The Deerhunter

17 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

What was that all about? The police convoy was sitting behind a large truck and trailer at a red light. An out of control vehicle came from behind and caused the concertina crash. not exactly the fault of the cops was it?

The apparent B1000 fine to the errant driver of the reefer has caused the most consternation.

??????

Do read the headline 

It was police there give him 1000 b fine

2 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

??????

Do read the headline 

It was police there give him 1000 b fine

Fair enough point you make there. It certainly is a bizarre system where the driver of a vehicle gets away with a mere B1000 fine from the cops instead of a court appearance for dangerous driving.:smile:

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 11:37 AM, The Deerhunter said:

Yeah, but if you are in Phuket, use the Patong hill regularly, or any similar hill in Thailand and drive one of those one million, 50 year old Isuzus still on the road here (and are still alive) then I'll bet you can double declutch!  A synchro gear box one one of these?  I have never driven one of them but I sincerely doubt it.   Are you familiar with the notorious Patong hill, site of thousands of accidents and probably hundreds of deaths over the years.  Driving any big rig up or down there would be a real challenge for man, and machine maintenance !!!   It scares me in a modern vehicle because I never know when an old tuck or a double decker tour bus will come back down in reverse at 100KPH.   I have seen an accident on Patong hill at one or other of the danger spots so many times.  Probably 50% of the relatively few times I have driven over it.   But I have been over it as a passenger many times.  Still nervous until back on the flat.

Image result for old isuzu trucks pictures

A good friend of mine was killed on that hill and I have ridden and driven it hundreds of times.

It requires driving skill, something seriously lacking in this country.

My friend died as he was forced off the road and over the cliff by a vehicle on the wrong side overtaking. His choice was a head on collision or the cliff.

If the vehicles are fit to be on the road, then the problem is with the driver.

:sad:

• Like 1