Just stopped an assault on a woman

tumama

I think you should concern yourself with not breaking the law yourself first, before worrying about other people.

tumama

•  
  • tumama
  • Members
  • 187 posts
Posted January 31 (edited)

I was going to do my 30 days extension at Chang Wattana in Bangkok, but I'm currently on 3 days overstay. Is it still possible to do the extension at Chang Wattana and pay the 3 days overstay fee there?

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Katia said:

We couldn't get through a thread about domestic violence without one of those "well she must have deserved it" comments...

And it doesn't take long for the TVF feminists to change somebody correctly stating "you don't really know what the lady might have done to prompt the action" into "well she must have deserved it" ...

• Haha 1

If your smart you'll find a Thai to write something up, and post it to fb,  probably offer them 1000B and that you want to be anonymous ,  just watch your opsec  when you do it. ; course now the tam ruat do you have your digits  so  more difficult, as of course your SIM is probably registered to your passport  etc etc

Morally, I probably would find it hard not to defend someone being attacked, if I could stop it,   yes TIT, and  you could find yourself   dead or owing 10,000 baht for "being the farang there" but I applaud you for being brave ,  though in hindsight,  no matter how bad  there is  a logically reason  why  "the drivers fled the scene" .....

Asian woman  have  an unfair lot in life  in general  imo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

And it doesn't take long for the TVF feminists to change somebody correctly stating "you don't really know what the lady might have done to prompt the action" into "well she must have deserved it" ...

"what the lady might have done to prompt the action" absolutely implies the violence was deserved. Don't need to be a feminist to understand that, just a decent human being.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Very subtle and well put.

Now i just realised that political correctness and the law of karma can be at odds sometimes.

2 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

"what the lady might have done to prompt the action" absolutely implies the violence was deserved. Don't need to be a feminist to understand that, just a decent human being.

It was the massive jump from "might" to "must" and "prompt" to "deserve" that wasn't what a fair, moral and decent human being would do with nothing but a 3rd person's story line..

2 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I'll have to disagree.

Nothing the lady "might" have done should have "prompted" a severe beating.

Would you agree that she should pay more attention at the company she chooses ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Definitely!!

I don't understand the phenomenon, but people tend to keep picking abusive partners in a predictable pattern. 

Haha, simple, some women like the bully-type, then cry foul when it bites them in the ass.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I think the TV crowd are a bunch of cowards for always saying never intervene/mind your own business.

But that said, you seem like a pretty dumb white knight OP.  If you're going to involve yourself you have to understand the context first.  You're just guessing from the start because you "speak very little Thai".

It sounds like you're expecting the police to treat domestic violence the same as they would in your country, and that's not how it works in Thailand.  You were making a nuisance of yourself and/because you aren't Thai, so they told you to go away.  What do you think they are going to do with your number?  Call you to provide daily progress reports on how the 'case' is progressing?

Did you even read what I wrote? There is no justification to beat and scare a woman to point where she fears for her life. 

I obviously gave them my number because I'm a witness, I saw the whole thing. Damn you are daft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tumama said:

Did you even read what I wrote? There is no justification to beat and scare a woman to point where she fears for her life. 

I obviously gave them my number because I'm a witness, I saw the whole thing. Damn you are daft. 

Well, you did a good thing, to make yourself feel good.

..But, in a bigger picture, if that woman is weak and dumb, she will get more beatings, and you will not be there all the time.

In the best of the cases, that woman may think that there are some good men around, to give her a glimmer of hope, but i would not count on that.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, you did a good thing, to make yourself feel good.

..But, in a bigger picture, if that woman is weak and dumb, she will get more beatings, and you will not be there all the time.

In the best of the cases, that woman may think that there are some good men around, to give her a glimmer of hope, but i would not count on that.

Yeah I get that. I've seen women getting beaten up before. But this was very different. It seemed she thought the guy was going to kill her. That's why I waited over 30 min for the police to show up. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tumama said:

Yeah I get that. I've seen women getting beaten up before. But this was very different. It seemed she thought the guy was going to kill her. That's why I waited over 30 min for the police to show up. 

It seems to me that you did the right thing,  but you took some risk in getting involved.

Just don't expect gratitude, should things go wrong, you are on your own.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, tumama said:

They don't want or need or care about 'witnesses'.  Hence why you were summarily dismissed.  Witnesses are only necessary when a case goes to court, which this never in a million years will.

42 minutes ago, tumama said:

There is no justification to beat and scare a woman to point where she fears for her life. 

She didn't fear for her life she was sobbing because her boyfriend was mad at her.  This is normal in Thai society.  Domestic abuse is tolerated.  You're using melodramatic words like kidnapping and you've spent too much time in the west where helping damsels in distress is considered noble.

The appropriate thing to have done in the situation was to calmly walk over, be friendly with the guy and ask (in Thai) if he can please calm down and give his girlfriend a break.  Then walk away and get on with your life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

They don't want or need or care about 'witnesses'.  Hence why you were summarily dismissed.  Witnesses are only necessary when a case goes to court, which this never in a million years will.

She didn't fear for her life she was sobbing because her boyfriend was mad at her.  This is normal in Thai society.  Domestic abuse is tolerated.  You're using melodramatic words like kidnapping and you've spent too much time in the west where helping damsels in distress is considered noble.

The appropriate thing to have done in the situation was to calmly walk over, be friendly with the guy and ask (in Thai) if he can please calm down and give his girlfriend a break.  Then walk away and get on with your life.

Yeah I got that the police weren't interested. In my country the guy would have been immediately arrested on suspicion of kidnapping and assault.

Excuse me? Where you there? I saw how scared this girl was, you didn't. Like I said, I've never seen somebody that scared before in my life. 

Well this thread has gone downhill hasn't it?

I have had to remove a number of posts, Bickering, baiting, trolling and some replies.

Keep it on topic and polite, or posting holidays will follow. Don't say you weren't warned.

• Like 1

You did very well and obviously were much appreciated by the lady.

But with respect, what is the point of posting about it on here...(like it is a rare occurrence).I think the whole world already knows that assaults and murder are a fact of life everywhere.

It happens a bit here. There are a lot of examples of losing control. You did better than I did by helping out although I am unsure as to whether it is a good idea to get involved. When one sees something like that action becomes instinctive more than thought out. 

I was crossing a small but busy junction on my bike and heard a commotion and there was a guy, the driver, hitting a lady with a fist in the passenger seat. The moving coach behind me kept me out of that argument. 

Suggest you email the pics to Lazada with a message about what you encountered and the sort of corporate image it conveys. Relatively easy to find who the top execs are in Thailand with a Google search.
I did this when almost run down on the pavement by a motorcyclist wearing a company jacket (although I had no photos, just time and place) and got an acknowledgment.
Really up to the company as to what action it wants to take.

People and police in Thailand couldn't give a damn about public attacks. My daughter and I were beaten up on the pavement by a crazy taxi driver one evening, with nearby motocy taxis ensuring we couldn't get away. We were right in front of dozens of vendors and hundreds of people walked by (around us) even as I called out (in Thai) for help. Not a single person did, so kudos for you for stepping in.

You are to be commended for stopping an assault- however, I would now let the issue go- I would not contact the company nor the police or anyone else- It is up to the police to handle now.

Thailand can be an unusual place for foreigners as most do not understand the nuances of society- most people will not intervene because they are afraid of retribution and loss of face.  Once a Thai gets angry-they lose control.  If this man is fired by his company he could easily come after you and seek revenge.  The girl who you helped could at some point change her story.

The best advice  is- Let it go. You have done enough.  Trust the long term expats on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2018 at 6:53 PM, kenk24 said:

and you don't really know what the lady might have done to prompt the action...

Are you serious !  nothing and i mean nothing justifies beating the Shit out of a defenceless Woman, shame on you.  :angry:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1