Importance of income indication on TM6 Arrival Card

moogradod

Non residents have to indicate their yearly income on the arrival card when entering for tourist purposes. After retirement it may be that you do not get any income anymore (or only later) - but have substantial funds to finance your travel which may be shown (either some cash right away - much more than the famous 20KTHB) or a big bank statement) if necessary.

But if you indicate "no income" on the TM6 this might raise the question with the Immigration Officer how you finance (and if you do not intend to work etc.) your stay althought this might not be the slightest problem. How important is this indication anyway ? I  thought it was mainly used for statistics. I interpret this if one has really substantial funds, 60K$ yearly might be indicated for to withdraw this amount annually would pose no problem.

Any thoughts ?

I always tick at least three boxes,no one has ever asked anything,if they did I would just say my income was variable.As far as I am concerned they need to give me a solid reason as to why they need this information and what they intend to do with it before they can have this information.

9 hours ago, CeeGee said:

I always tick at least three boxes,no one has ever asked anything,if they did I would just say my income was variable.As far as I am concerned they need to give me a solid reason as to why they need this information and what they intend to do with it before they can have this information.

"they need to give me a solid reason as to why they need this information and what they intend to do with". You are obviously new to Thailand. That sort of attitude will get you into a lot of trouble in the LOS.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Leave it empty or fill out nonsense.

It's a complete waste of ink and effort.

Immigration officer never ever checks that.

I read it would be for the tourist organization :biggrin:

Do you really believe that TAT evaluates more than 20 million of these handwritten/-filled cards per year?

Laughable.

Edited by KhunBENQ

17 hours ago, CeeGee said:

I just go with my finger eeny meeny manny mo. and cross where my finger stops. None of their business.

18 hours ago, CeeGee said:

Try demanding from them why you have to provide the info and see where it gets you. They have the uniform so they not only don't have to justify themselves to you or anyone else, they can do whatever they choose to do with you. Pays not to get lippy with a uniform in any country.

In answering the OP's question, I have always left it blank and have never been challenged. The IO doesn't care as it has nothing to do with his job of checking your immigration status but is for statistical purposes.

Just to clarify, I would have no intention of demanding anything, I have been coming to LOS for long enough to know how it works.In any "confrontation" I would yes sir no sir etc but I am dammed if I am going to volunteer details about my financial affairs just because its asked for on a form.That is why I tick two or three boxes, then no one can say I refused to provide the information. 

21 hours ago, moana said:

Same here. No one ever complained.

Its actually done for Market Research to Gauge the quality, spending power etc of Visitors it is not an Immigration requirement and has no bearing on whether you will be admitted or not, like one poster stated he has been coming here for 20 years and never filled it in and never had a problem, i have never filled it in either, Bloody Nosey Sods.  :smile:

21 hours ago, saakura said:

"How important is this indication anyway ? I  thought it was mainly used for statistics."

Maybe the information is used for passing it on to the bar girls & extortion police?

Bugger!

I've been saying I am incredibly rich on each and every TM6 since I first fell off a banana boat in the Chaophaya.

I am now on my fifth Thai wife and the other four all got houses, cars, gold, hairdresser salons, farms, buffaloes, etc.. before we divorced.

I think you may be onto something!!!

Don't you provide your passport particulars and sign the TM? Doesn't it even come to mind that falsifying such a document could be troublesome? Leaving the questions you prefer not to answer blank seems more sensible; if they want them filled in, you would probably be given the chance to do so.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Try demanding from them why you have to provide the info and see where it gets you. They have the uniform so they not only don't have to justify themselves to you or anyone else, they can do whatever they choose to do with you. Pays not to get lippy with a uniform in any country.

In answering the OP's question, I have always left it blank and have never been challenged. The IO doesn't care as it has nothing to do with his job of checking your immigration status but is for statistical purposes.

If one of them orders you to drop and give him 15 push ups, will you comply immediately, no questions asked?  Do you salute the uniformed security guard in the car park?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I've done the same. Always blank. Never any comment. 

I have never filled it out also, does it not say something about not being compulsory, sure it says something, but years since I even bothered turning one over to read it?