Kodi, ISP, and DNS

phetphet

Kodi not what it used to be, and I understand many add-ons have disappeared. Seems really slow nowadays, and can hardly watch anything. 

I use a VPN, but was wondering, If I change my DNS to a private one, so ISP cannot see addresses I visit, is it likely to improve my Kodi experience?

Any suggestions on what might improve things? I have totally wiped everything and done a fresh install.

Kodi 17.6, NVIDIA Shield, 30/10 internet.

6 hours ago, phetphet said:

Kodi not what it used to be

You're right about that, Kodi is better than it ever has been, but you need to update it.

Never have had so much good working live tv and sports as in the past 6 months.

For Kodi you don't need a VPN, in fact some addons will not work with a VPN.

You may want to check your internet speed to the outside world, your 30/10 is within Thailand, and many ISP's in Thailand still think there is no life outside Thailand.

I had a technician from 3BB message me a few weeks ago, that he could not serve me because i use the web which most customers don't.

image.png.1dea66a9f350295a461a1b3fbc9dbcc1.png

image.png.66225c2ad265d1496cde3c5d6615f805.png

Try this link to test your speed.

https://testmy.net/mirror?testServer=uk

Edited by janclaes47

Just now, ajnamoon said:

so what build do you use  for Kodi

In case that question is directed at me, I create my own builds, and keep them updated.

With a build that you can download for free, usually 20% of the addons don't work at the time that you download it, and the others will fail soon because thy rarely install the original repos so the addons don't update.

They also bloat their builds so much with addons you will never use, which slows down the whole system.

I use the Durex Build. It's easy enough for me to just download the single, complete package.

I do update the addons every time I switch on.

I don't have enough knowledge about Kodi to make my own build.

Also wouldn't have the time, or know where to start to find the best addons and keep constantly updating them as they disappear or new ones appear.

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

wow used https://testmy.net/results

using sf as my test city an got a HUGE  3 Mbps (380Kbs) using my 100 mbps ais fiber connection

using  http://speedtest.adslthailand.com/

got 55

Because speedtest works same as a torrent, with multithreads, so you always get the highest speed.

Testmy net works with a single connection, and that is also all you get when streaming a live event.

Last year technicians from 3BB repeatedly managed to get a 150Mbps download result using the Nperf test site.

Pity detail, my package is 30/10 Vdsl, and copper wire isn't even capable of transfer 150Mbps.

• Haha 1

On 24/04/2018 at 11:27 PM, janclaes47 said:

You're right about that, Kodi is better than it ever has been, but you need to update it.

Never have had so much good working live tv and sports as in the past 6 months.

For Kodi you don't need a VPN, in fact some addons will not work with a VPN.

You may want to check your internet speed to the outside world, your 30/10 is within Thailand, and many ISP's in Thailand still think there is no life outside Thailand.

I had a technician from 3BB message me a few weeks ago, that he could not serve me because i use the web which most customers don't.

image.png.1dea66a9f350295a461a1b3fbc9dbcc1.png

image.png.66225c2ad265d1496cde3c5d6615f805.png

Try this link to test your speed.

https://testmy.net/mirror?testServer=uk

My results were 21.1 MB/s down and 12.9 MB/s up. That's on a 30/10 vdsl package.

Edited by phetphet

11 minutes ago, phetphet said:

My results were 21.1 MB/s down and 12.9 MB/s up. That's on a 30/10 vdsl package.

If you are sure you were testing to the UK server, that mean you see the union jack in the top right corner of the webpage, then you have an excellent speed.

So your issues are not with your ISP, but most probably you don't have the latest updates for your addons.

7 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

If you are sure you were testing to the UK server, that mean you see the union jack in the top right corner of the webpage, then you have an excellent speed.

So your issues are not with your ISP, but most probably you don't have the latest updates for your addons.

Yes. I was testing via UK servers. I used the link that you supplied.  Unfortunately, when I just tried again, the results were a lot worse: 4.8 Mbps down and 1.4Mbps up.  Megabits rather than bytes, which is a whole lot slower.

Whenever I go to kodi, the first thing I always do is go to addons and click "force update".  Why the large speed difference between the two tests I don't know. Maybe people going online after work.

I did have 3BB tech here a few weeks ago to test the line. Same old thing. Shows you a speed test within Thailand that shows max speed, and says,  "Speed slow outside Thailand not our  problem". I know there are bottle necks, but this is unusable.  

Funny thing is my Apple TV works OK 95% of the time. Hardly ever any buffering.

19 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Yes. I was testing via UK servers. I used the link that you supplied.  Unfortunately, when I just tried again, the results were a lot worse: 4.8 Mbps down and 1.4Mbps up.  Megabits rather than bytes, which is a whole lot slower.

Whenever I go to kodi, the first thing I always do is go to addons and click "force update".  Why the large speed difference between the two tests I don't know. Maybe people going online after work.

I did have 3BB tech here a few weeks ago to test the line. Same old thing. Shows you a speed test within Thailand that shows max speed, and says,  "Speed slow outside Thailand not our  problem". I know there are bottle necks, but this is unusable.  

Funny thing is my Apple TV works OK 95% of the time. Hardly ever any buffering.

Looks like you have Ethernet issues, unless you use WIFI, which is always unstable.

Some suggestions for troubleshooting.

If you use a wired connection try to change LAN cable. If you use WIFI, switch to a wired connection.

Do the same test on other devices, like your Apple tv or PC, and see if the speed there is also unstable.

Always do the speed test on the device you use for streaming, it doesn't make sense to do it on a phone if you use your shield for streaming.

13 hours ago, phetphet said:

I don't have enough knowledge about Kodi to make my own build.

Also wouldn't have the time, or know where to start to find the best addons and keep constantly updating them as they disappear or new ones appear.

You don't need to make your own build, just make use of sites like Wireless Shack and the details of best current working addons

http://www.wirelesshack.org/top-best-working-kodi-video-add-ons.html

It's easy enough to follow the instructions on locating the repositories and installing the addons.

9 hours ago, Stocky said:

You don't need to make your own build, just make use of sites like Wireless Shack and the details of best current working addons

http://www.wirelesshack.org/top-best-working-kodi-video-add-ons.html

It's easy enough to follow the instructions on locating the repositories and installing the addons.

Will have a look. Thanks.

Funnily enough the build that I use "Durex" was just updated Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...

I had 3BB 20/4 that was upgraded to their 30/10 package. After the upgrade, I started having dropped connection issues. Techs could never find the cause of the problem. After 3 months, I finally convinced them the main cable was the problem. Reluctantly they replaced the cable from the main box in the village to my house about 3/4 km. Issue solved. Speeds now are constantly 33+/11+. I stream US, UK, Aus TV and Netflix US, daily through my laptop to my TV using a proxy service with no streaming issues. I also have a PS 4 and the diagnostic connection speed test to their server in Singapore is never less than 29/7 in multiplayer mode.