Building A House In Issan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our new home is being built in Roi Et... our original interest was in this plan (http://www.masterplan101.com/plan_04_2.html) from a firm based in Bangkok. They quoted over 6 million baht to build the house so we decided to hire a local architect and engineer to produce a simular plan and build... so far so good.

currently they are working on the 2nd floor ceiling and completing work on the first floor walls. as you can see there's still a long way to go before it can be lived in. i asked that priority be taken to make the bedrooms and bathrooms liveable... so i expect to move in 3-4 months from now. here's a breakdown on the room sizes if you're interested.

FLOOR 1

kitchen 32sq.m. / 344sq.ft.

livingroom 60sq.m. / 646sq.ft.

diningroom 32sq.m. / 344sq.ft

central area (entertaining/bar/staircase) 99sq.m. / 1,066sq.ft.

guest bathroom 5sq.m. / 54 sq.ft.

bedroom 1 23sq.m. / 348 sq.ft

bedroom 1 bathroom 4sq.m. / 43 sq.ft.

bedroom 2 20sq.m. / 215sq.ft.

bedroom 2 bathroom 5sq.m. / 54 sq.ft.

FLOOR 2

office 32sq.m. / 344sq.ft.

bedroom 3 23sq.m. / 348sq.ft.

bedroom 3 bathroom 4sq.m. / 43sq.ft.

master bedroom 68sq.m. / 732sq.ft.

master bathroom 18sq.m. / 194sq.ft.

central area (hall/staircase/opening to floor 1) 32sq.m. / 344sq.ft.

terrace area (outdoor) 141sq.m. / 1,518sq.ft.

FLOOR 3

entertaining (incl. staircase area) 61sq.m. / 657sq.ft.

terrace area (outdoor) 93sq.m. / 1,001sq.ft.

TOTAL AREA

indoor 518sq.m. / 5,576sq.ft

terrace (outdoor) 234sq.m. / 2,518sq.ft.

TOTAL VOLUME

indoor

(all ceilings are 3.4 meters / 11 feet high) 1,761cu.m. / 62,196cu.ft.

TOTAL COSTS

contract Baht 2,375,000 / US$ 69,500

contract includes all major construction materials and labor charges (including cement, steel, interior/exterior paint, interior doors, drywall for ceilings, floor tile installation, bathroom fixture installation, electrical and plumbing installation, exterior window and door installation, exterior terrace railings, driveway construction).

additional costs i will take care of include: all windows and exterior doors (custom made), bathroom fixtures (sinks, toilets, baths, etc.), electrical supples, light fixtures, plumbing supplies, kitchen appliances, kitchen cabinets (and installation), floor tiles, driveway materials. i agreed to pay for these charges myself primarily so i can be sure the materials meet "western" standards.

if interested i'll keep everyone updated as it comes along!

dan

Hi Dan, I really could use some help. We would appreciate it if you or anyone else can direct us to an architect or builder, preferrably in Isaan and near Khon Kaen. For more than a month now we are stuck at finding a suitable architect or builder. We originally contacted an "expert architect/ builder" in my T/G/F 's mooban in Nong Sung (near Khon Kaen). We showed him some layout plans from a house being built (commercially in Hua Hin) and can be viewed at www.thai-homes/brochures/thevinyards-web.pdf He assured me he could do the job i.e. make detailed drawings and set up the start of building etc. WELL he has since become MIA- doesn't answer his phone etc. I have been relying on my g/f to contact individuals who are near her mooban (our future home) but seems like she is unable to find anyone. I can see the benefits to hiring Isaan people but we can not find them :-) So now it feels like we are "all dressed up with no place to go." Ideally I would love working with an English speaking person, cutting down on alot of translating thru my g/f. I envy those of you who have successfully gone before many of us; hope we can benefit from your experience.

Best regards, and thanks again

Keoki :o

I might know just the man for you. "Alan-the-Builder-You-Can-Talk-To", a straight-talking and energetic Brit, with all the local contacts through his Thai wife, good workers, and full of sensible advice about realizing your dream house. I know he's been tied up in Samui for many months now, shows that his services are greatly appreciated there too. Still, maybe if you drop him a line you can get him to reply to you.

http://www.alanthebuilder.com/houses.html#top

Incubus

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
The plans page moved slightly it's here now http://subweb.dpt.go.th/pip/house_model/framehome.html

Or the same plans are hosted here, in a more friendly format http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plans/

EDIT House looks great Andy :o

We're still in the process of filling (adding another .5m after last November's flood). The Missus also decided to make a 'few' adjustments meaning we're now based on No27 but with fairly significant (architect involved) modifications.

Hi everybody. I am new on this forum, although I am not new on some others dealing with construction of a house in thailand. We plan to start construction of the house in Khon Kaen sometime end of this year.

I had a more or less frozen design that I developped myself, spending weeks to refine my drawings, until...I found at about this governement web site (thanks Andy). I can't stop thinking about this model no30 now. I am ready to start from scratch again. Better now than too late.

I need to estimate the cost of material to check wether this design would be in my budget. Does anybody have a bill of quantities for this model 30 as I couldn't find it on internet

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have really enjoyed reading this blog and I too have selected #30 to build up north of Udon Thani. I will be making a trip this May and was wondering if I could come over for a look? I have been travelling to Thailand for the past 20 years and am now ready to get started with a retirement home. My girlfriend for 2 years lives in the village and her family home is there as well. Last year we purchsed a nice plot of land and had it filled preparing to build. Do you think your builder would be interested in building the same house in my area or would it be better to get a local builder? Your pictures look great so far and it would be nice to see what it looks like in person to compare actual size.

Thanks,

rickschoppers

khunandy

After reading the entire blog, I was sorry to hear about your builder. I guess asking him to see if he would be willing to build my house is now out of the question. I still need help if anyone knows a good builder in the Udon Thani area, I would appreciate your help. I am still considering the #30 plan that khunady is building and I hope to start contruction in the next 6 months.

khunandy

After reading the entire blog, I was sorry to hear about your builder. I guess asking him to see if he would be willing to build my house is now out of the question. I still need help if anyone knows a good builder in the Udon Thani area, I would appreciate your help. I am still considering the #30 plan that khunady is building and I hope to start contruction in the next 6 months.

I got a Builder from Udon to build my house 10 yrs ago. I thought the labour would be from his own building staff and went back to the UK. When I came back I found the labour to be from the next village. All unskilled builders. Beware of Udon Builders and the one which I used(Tepany Builders Udon). There are two big white Swans on front of his shop. Jack of all trades and masters of none. In other words Con Merchants.

The electric was a problem also and when I went back to the shop to ask to have it fixed they were not interested. I ended up getting another electrician on my own.

If I had knowen then what I know now I would have planned the house myself and got the family and locals to do the work.

Best to plan your house youself and watch over the construction. Bring a good spirit level and setsquare with you.

Best of luck.

I have really enjoyed reading this blog and I too have selected #30 to build up north of Udon Thani. I will be making a trip this May and was wondering if I could come over for a look? I have been travelling to Thailand for the past 20 years and am now ready to get started with a retirement home. My girlfriend for 2 years lives in the village and her family home is there as well. Last year we purchsed a nice plot of land and had it filled preparing to build. Do you think your builder would be interested in building the same house in my area or would it be better to get a local builder? Your pictures look great so far and it would be nice to see what it looks like in person to compare actual size.

Thanks,

rickschoppers

Rickchoppers,

I will be there between 25th April till 10 May....PM me if you want to come during that time

Khunandy

Thanks Wee Jimmy.................My girlfriend lives in a village north of Udon and the more I read the more I am thinking of doing exactly what you are suggesting. One of her brothers has had building experience (not sure of extent) and he will be building a perimeter fence around our plot next month while I am there, so maybe I can get a better idea of his skills. My girlfriend and I have been together 2 years and I have been pretty much accepted into the family and they are all willing to help. One of her sisters speaks very good English and she oversaw the filling of the plot and is a great negotiator. I may ask her to be the project manager. I am planning to reitre next June and may go ahead and rent a house while ours is being built. I have been researching similar stories on this sight and it seems to be a consensus that you need to be here to make daily decisions. I do have some experience since my father was a builder here in the US. I am not looking for anything too flashy and would like a nice Thai style house with a few western convieniences. I will keep researching and appreciate this site.

Thanks,

rickschoppers

Rickchoppers,

I will be there between 25th April till 10 May....PM me if you want to come during that time

Khunandy

Khundany,

It looks like we will just miss each other since I will be arriving in Udon on May 18th and leave on June 1st. Maybe we can get together before I decide how to proceed with the build. I appreciate any advice/information you can give me about starting a build. I hope you have gotten everything sorted out.

Thanks Again,

rickschoppers