Pattaya Electricity Bills

Mobi

There has been a thread running elsewhere entitled: "how much do you pay for electricity?" which has been running for eons.

Anyway, I thought I'd open a new topic, just for Pattaya and the surrounding area.

Every month my bill gets a little bit higher and for the month of January it came to 8,280 Baht.

OK The Mobi mansion is a bit big, but even so it's a lot of money.

Does anyone living in a private residence have a higher bill?

Or do I get the prize for the most ostentatious burner of fossil fuels on the Pattaya Thai visa forum.? :o

I once went to the house of a 20-year old Norwegian who told me he was being cheated on his bill by the landlord. Upon arriving at his home, I found his a/c running while his bedroom door was open. His friend's a/c was on while his door was open as well. He said that he used the a/cs 24 hours/day so that the rooms would be cool when they returned from going out.

He had a 10,000 baht bill. Besides this waster, I must give you the cake. But, now that I think of it, I did rent a three bedroom townhouse in The Village on Third Road to a young Italian man in 1992. he had a bill near 10,000 baht back then. He would run all of the a/cs all of the time as well.

My house two bedrooms, PC's and fridge etc 800 baht per month.

Our guesthouse 8 rooms with AC, restaurant and internet cafe only pays around 15,000 per month so what the h___ are you doing mobi?

I know people who have had raids by narcotics police in Australia for high electricity bills for running all the lights. :o

Electricity for me & Mrs. in condo is 1400 per month + or - 150 baht. At this time of year there is no need for AC. In fact at night no fan so something is wrong with your bill.

I have heard of every kind of rip-off here, do some investigations.

Good luck. A bill of 8280, wow, I would be hopping mad...........Are you smelting iron ore?

I know people who have had raids by narcotics police in Australia for high electricity bills for running all the lights. :o

This was my thought also!!

Granted, my condo is probably nowhere near the size of your house, but the biggest bill I ever had was 4000 bt- during Songkran when temperatures are high, and the aircons are on constantly.

Normal bills average between 2000 and 2500.

Ouch, that's a lot at this time of year when it's relatively cool at night. Are you using a lot of Aircon? Last month our bill was 2000 for a 200 m2 house near yours, no aircon used last month, a couple of fans, large fridge, (central) hot water, 5 PC's of which at least 2 generally are running 24/7. With all the light being the usual low-energy type used here I frankly don't understand how we can use this much EL ... except if the water heater is using considerably more electricity than expected. But 8,000 .. wow!

Edited by Phil Conners

There has been a thread running elsewhere entitled: "how much do you pay for electricity?" which has been running for eons.

Anyway, I thought I'd open a new topic, just for Pattaya and the surrounding area.

Every month my bill gets a little bit higher and for the month of January it came to 8,280 Baht.

OK The Mobi mansion is a bit big, but even so it's a lot of money.

Does anyone living in a private residence have a higher bill?

Or do I get the prize for the most ostentatious burner of fossil fuels on the Pattaya Thai visa forum.? :o

mine was 6.750 for the period of dec20 till jan 19, the highest bill was around 17.400 in august last year. i have budgeted an average of 12.500/month but have lived in my new home only for six months.

I rent aslarge house in jomtien. my bills were 7,500 a month. i complained many times to the landloard my bedroom a/c which i use a lot was old and inefficent. i finally shamed him into replacing it with one that was a bit larger. the original was undersized. now, while living the same way, my bill is 4,500 per month

If you look at the other thread I referred to, you will find there's a few that beat me, but I admit not too many.

To put it in perspective - I've got a pretty big place - 4 bedrooms in the main building, 2 in the annex, four fridges, 3 T'v.s, a large swimming pool, central hot water heater, sprinkler system, large, oranmental fishpond with water-fall (2 water pumps), masses of external lighting, including halogen security lights which are sensor driven, many ceiling and other fans, and so it goes on.

I have been here over a year and my bills have usuually run between 6,500 and 7,500. Normally I run 1 a/c in my bedroom at night, and another small one in my ofice for a few hours, most afternoons. However over New Year I had a house full, which meant more a/cs were running - hence the larger bill.

I try to avoid waste by turning off unecessary light etc, but I don't penny pinch. I've got all these facilities, so I use them and enjoy them, otherwise there is no point in having them. I hate living in a dark house, and grounds, like my neighbours seem to.

(BTW my water bill can run as high as 2,000 Baht :o )

My bill runs at around 3,500 - 3,800 using at least 1 aircon around the clock (but set at a very economical 26/27°C) and 2,000 with no aircon.

Does anyone know the standard rate per kWh in Pattaya?...I'm paying a marked up 6.05 baht/kWh.

I'm curious to know what my surcharge is.

Edited by tropo

My cumlitive bills for 2006 ran to Baht 67118 that is Baht 5593 a month average. As I shall be getting a 3phase supply with my own transformer at the new house I was very interested in Monty's heads up about the off tarriff supply deal, trouble is I can't remember the details, can you re fresh my pooor old brain with the details please Monty?

My bill runs at around 3,500 - 3,800 using at least 1 aircon around the clock (but set at a very economical 26/27°C) and 2,000 with no aircon.

Does anyone know the standard rate per kWh in Pattaya?...I'm paying a marked up 6.05 baht/kWh.

I'm curious to know what my surcharge is.

surcharge varies with consumption. i pay around 4.02 baht/kilowatt

Does your bill come directly from the power company, or are you paying someone else (i.e. a landlord) who then pays the actual bill ? (see last paragraph)

A couple things you may want to consider.

Adjust the air-con up a couple of degrees. Last year I used to run it (when I was actually in the apartment) at around 22 degrees. After awhile, I found I could set it to 24 and still be comfortable. Lately I've had it set at 26, just for while I'm sleeping.

Adjust your hot water tank down a few degrees. This is a common problem in North America, where people have their hot water tanks set at a temperature far higher than is required. If you keep having to dilute your hot water with cold to make it comfortable, then adjusting the temperature down a few degrees will not only save money on your power bill, but on your water bill as well.

Those two things alone should result in a significant savings on your electricity bills.

(note: in the first couple of months I rented this apartment, my electricity bills were higher than the monthly rent ! I did find that part of the cost was the landlord charging the tenants a little extra on their usage, to cover the cost of the electricity the landlord and their family used.) :o

although i participate in this thread i consider it a futile attempt to compare our individual consumptions without knowing the basic facts such as what temperature maintained in what area of the home for how many hours a day, any pool pumps, well pumps, waterfall/pond pumps running for x- hours a day, how many huge fridges/freezers and of course what price per kilowatt is charged. meanwhile i have seen differences of 100% as far as this unit price is concerned.

I used 2,106 (Kw?) on my latest bill.

There are 2 charges before 7% Vat. The first is 6,086.6 Baht (which works out at 2.89 Baht per KW).

The second charge is 1,651.53 Baht and is shown as 0.7842 per unit.

Combined rate is therefor 3,6742 Baht per KW.

Then add 7% Vat and the overall charge, including Vat ,works out at 3,932 Baht per KW.

There are 2 charges before 7% Vat. The first is 6,086.6 Baht (which works out at 2.89 Baht per KW).

Then add 7% Vat and the overall charge, including Vat ,works out at 3,932 Baht per KW.

Thanks Mobi.

I pay a flat 6.05 to the landlord. According to your calculations I'm paying just over 50% markup.

Power is charged in kWh ... (kilowatts x hours), commonly known as 'Units'.

So if you run a 100 watt lamp for 1 hour, the usage is 0.1 kWh.

or a 2kW heater run for 2 hours would consume 4.0 kWh.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Actually, the PEA (Provincial Electricity Authority), the blokes supplying us with the juice needed for our luxuries, have a pretty good English language website!

http://www.pea.co.th/eweb/index.htm

On this page you can find the official electricity rates.

Here you'll see that every user will pay a different average price per unit, since the total to be paid for a given month is dependent on that months consumption.

They calculate the bill a bit like taxes get calculated!

The correct way to calculate your monthly bill is as follows:

E.g. you used 670 kWh

First 150 units@ 1.8047 =270.705 Baht

Unit 151 till 400(=250 units)@2.7781=694.225 Baht

Unit 401 till 670 (=270 units)@2.9780=804.06 Baht

Totals 1768.99 Baht

To this you add the Fuel surcharge (Ft currently at 0.7584 Baht/unit) so 670 units@ 0.7584=508.128

And you add the service charge of 40.90 Baht for users of over 150 units

Grand total before VAT = 2318.02 Baht

7% vat =162.26 Baht

So you pay 2480.28 Baht, or an average price of 3.701 Baht/unit...

The more you use, the higher the average, because the influence of the cheap first 150 units will become neglectable.

I think you need to say how much you are paying per kw/hour or it could be quite misleading. My average for Sept, Oct, Nov, was 460 baht per month, 4 baht per unit, 345 kw total . 115 kw per month, lights, hot water, fridge, fans, didn't use aircon, computer on 15 hrs a day, and TV. (sorry didn't notice the post right above mine, so I see my landlord is charging me a fairly fair rate). p.s. I live alone.

Edited by chingching

Actually, the PEA (Provincial Electricity Authority), the blokes supplying us with the juice needed for our luxuries, have a pretty good English language website!

http://www.pea.co.th/eweb/index.htm

On this page you can find the official electricity rates.

Here you'll see that every user will pay a different average price per unit, since the total to be paid for a given month is dependent on that months consumption.

They calculate the bill a bit like taxes get calculated!

The correct way to calculate your monthly bill is as follows:

E.g. you used 670 kWh

First 150 units@ 1.8047 =270.705 Baht

Unit 151 till 400(=250 units)@2.7781=694.225 Baht

Unit 401 till 670 (=270 units)@2.9780=804.06 Baht

Totals 1768.99 Baht

To this you add the Fuel surcharge (Ft currently at 0.7584 Baht/unit) so 670 units@ 0.7584=508.128

And you add the service charge of 40.90 Baht for users of over 150 units

Grand total before VAT = 2318.02 Baht

7% vat =162.26 Baht

So you pay 2480.28 Baht, or an average price of 3.701 Baht/unit...

The more you use, the higher the average, because the influence of the cheap first 150 units will become neglectable.

Thanks Monty for going to the trouble of posting the charge details.

According to the actual electric charge I'm being charged double on a 3,500 monthly bill.

What I have in the resort (and what everybody can get if they have their own high voltage transformer) is a Time Of Use meter (TOU)

On this system you pay only two rates:

Every weekday (Mon till Fri) between 09:00 and 22:00 you pay peak rate of 3.6246 Baht/unit.

At all other times, including weekends, you only pay 1.1914 Baht/unit.

Do note that to this you also have to add the Ft charge and VAT!

So out of the 168 hours in a week, 55 hours you pay 4.69Baht/unit and the remaining 113 hours you pay 2.086 Baht/unit.

So if I would burn my electricity at a constant rate throughout the 168 hours in a week, then I end up paying 2.94 Baht/unit, including Ft and Vat, a saving of roughly 25% over the rate the heavy users like Mobi and Rimmer pay.

Practically however, the savings are much higher, since some of the heavy consumers already run at the discounted night rate and not during peak times (bedroom aircon), plus with just a little bit of planning other big users can be changed to running only at night as well, such as swimming pumps etc.

If you buy a big central water heater (400 liters or so), you can set it so it'll only heat at night. The water will remain warm during the day since these heaters are normally pretty well insulated.

Savings of over 30% are easily attainable with this system!

So with the extended Mobi family all burning Aircon in the bedrooms at night, his bill would have been more like 5000 something Baht...

Adjust the air-con up a couple of degrees. Last year I used to run it (when I was actually in the apartment) at around 22 degrees. After awhile, I found I could set it to 24 and still be comfortable. Lately I've had it set at 26, just for while I'm sleeping.

Adjust your hot water tank down a few degrees. This is a common problem in North America, where people have their hot water tanks set at a temperature far higher than is required. If you keep having to dilute your hot water with cold to make it comfortable, then adjusting the temperature down a few degrees will not only save money on your power bill, but on your water bill as well.

Actually I find the aircon set to 30C does me fine. It just takes the edge off the heat but more importanly, it dries the air which makes it much more comfortable. It's also worth testing with a thermometer how cold your house actually gets. If your AC is under dimensioned, regardless of how low you set the thermostat, it may only ever be able to get the temperature down to 30C (seen this many places in Pattaya).

As for the hot water tank - it has a "minimum" setting on the thermostat. I think it is something to do with bacteria in the tank if you set it lower. I'd be happy to be corrected of course, would probably save me a considerable bit lowering it :o

Hi Moby, I saw your bill on the last recon and hardly believed my eyes!

I live in a 3 bedroom house, but not that often at home (I've got to work to start with...), so I use a/c only at night time.

Last month almost no a/c as it was cool enough, so the bill cam down to some 300 Baht. That must be fridge and freezer.

But even when I was working from home last April, the bill was just 1,500....

As for the hot water tank, it should be REALLY hot to prevent bacteria and other germs to grow. Ever thought about solar energy?