Questions About Qualifications

It is my understanding, and hopefully, it will be corrected if I am wrong, that you can get a work permit with a non-O visa. Once you have the non-O, then the school can pursue a Work Permit. Some schools have been able to get Work Permits for teachers without a degree.

The things you might want to look at are:

Your location. If you are in a rural area, there is a greater chance of getting the Work Permit.

The relationship between the school and immigration. If the school has an existing relationship with immigration, then it might be possible. Have they had other foreign teachers? Have they gone through the process previously?

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply, I do live in a rural location about 1 hour from Lamphun. The school as never had a foreign teacher before but they say that the work permit will not be a problem for them to get (the school director has a family member that issues them :D ). My problem seams to be with the immigration regarding the best visa to apply for. when i spoke to them as i said they told me that i needed a NON B to work here.

So assuming the work permit is issued and the school give me a 1 year contract to teach, would i show these documents at the Thai embassy is Laos for the 1 year multi entry NON O visa? or should i just use the marrage cert and not mention the job at the embassy? what's your thoughts?

thanks again :) from a little less confused Dan :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting a little out of my depth here. I am not an expert on the visa/work permit issue, especially the intricacies.

I would suggest that you might want to post your question in the Thai visa and work permit section:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/

If you have trouble, just send a PM. As a mod, I can't move your post to that forum without moving the entire thread.

I am getting a little out of my depth here. I am not an expert on the visa/work permit issue, especially the intricacies.

I would suggest that you might want to post your question in the Thai visa and work permit section:

If you have trouble, just send a PM. As a mod, I can't move your post to that forum without moving the entire thread.

i posted there first but they recommended i post on the teaching pages as there may be some one who has had a similar experience, they could not give an answer too.

i am going to go with the job and the director at the school has said the work permit will only take a week or so to sort out. so i will just try my luck at the embassy in Loas, I will take the permit the marrage cert and everything and just let them decide what to do with me, if i get a visa for a year stay i will be happy , if not then there is always the cambodian embassy to try :)

Thanks again for your advise.

regards

Dan

Merlin - If you are looking for a teaching job in Thailand I can assist you. My friend, a School Director, in a town 8 kms outside of Roi-Et, is looking for a native speaker who can teach "speaking & listening + grammar" to students aged 12-18 in the Gifted programme. The hours are 18 periods, (55 minutes) per week and the pay is 35,000 THB per month. If you are interested then please PM me or email me. My email address is shown in my profile.

The position has an immediate start. The previous holder had to return to the USA owing to a serious family illness.

Regards - John.

Dear Ajarn "Steven",

Wondering if you could assess my relative value in the teaching market. I have no TESL certificate (although I have taken a course -- alas, complications set in), but I have an MA in the ever-useless discipline of sociology. I don't hope to land anything actually teaching sociology (been out of it too long), but what would my prospects be in the TEFL market?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Dan141:

This is my experience from about 5 yrs ago. I only had a TEFL cert but I was already living in Thailand on a 1 yr Non-O visa based on marriage. I was approached by a Thai lady in the street one day to work so I decided to give it a try. I heard that I could get a work permit on a Non-O and I was able to, as well as a teacher's license - without a degree. I asked at immigration in BKK and at the school (which has hundreds of foreign teachers so should know) if I should convert my visa to a Non-B for work but both the school and immigration said if you're married to a Thai and can get a Non-O, it is always better to keep the Non-O because it is not dependent on your employment situation; you will lose the Non-B if you quit work or get fired and have to do the entire visa process again, whereas you can work if you like or not on the Non-O. When I actually renewed my 1 yr Non-O six months later in Singapore the embassy gave me the same answer to the same question. I had letters from the school and MOE ready in case I decided to apply for a Non-B, but no, the Non-O was stated to be the better visa as it allows more flexibility. So, I was able to get a TL and WP on a Non-O visa and would do it again. I will not even consider a Non-B if I can get a Non-O because the Non-O is not dependent on my working / employment circumstances whereas the Non-B is.

I'd go to Laos, or anywhere where you can get a 1yr Non-O, get the Non-O, and then let the school get you the work permit. If it doesn't work out, you can still live in LOS on your Non-O...

Edited by Scott

• 1 month later...

I am looking for knowledge of the job market in International schools.

I have been told you need to know someone to get these jobs.

I am applying for uni next year, Bachelor of Junior Primary and Primary.

I am 34, living in Australia and married to a Thai woman. I will be getting close to 40 when I enter the workforce as as educator.

I am very serious about this career change and I am really excited about it.

We want to move to Thailand in the future and I want to find out how to start making the right contacts early if need be.

I want to know if these schools will take me on fresh out of university. I really want to work in a good school with good peers.

I would like to make friends with some teachers in Thailand, some peers to look up to and get advice, help and information from.

If that sounds like you give me a hoy!

The true international schools will have a curriculum approved by the home country. You might want to check out Australian international schools. These would be your best option, although not the only ones.

Hopefully, other posters will be along to give you specifics about your situation.

• 1 month later...

The internet is his best friend. He should be checking out websites. If he is a qualified teacher, he will have little trouble and may be able to get into an international school.

The best time to start looking for work will be in about February (although January isn't too early to be fishing around). The next academic year starts in May for the Thai schools.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am looking for knowledge of the job market in International schools.

I have been told you need to know someone to get these jobs.

I am applying for uni next year, Bachelor of Junior Primary and Primary.

I am 34, living in Australia and married to a Thai woman. I will be getting close to 40 when I enter the workforce as as educator.

I am very serious about this career change and I am really excited about it.

We want to move to Thailand in the future and I want to find out how to start making the right contacts early if need be.

I want to know if these schools will take me on fresh out of university. I really want to work in a good school with good peers.

I would like to make friends with some teachers in Thailand, some peers to look up to and get advice, help and information from.

If that sounds like you give me a hoy!

I am just about in this exact situation also, lol you could have been in my head when you were typing thats how close our situations are, except I plan to teach over here for a while to get classroom experience and pay back loans etc.

Anyway I have a question, I am from New Zealand and have been accepted into what is ranked the best university in NZ to start next year, but I also applied to another uni at the same time which is closer to where I live by about 40 mins drive but is ranked 7th out of 8. My question is how much do employers over there look at where you have completed your degree, I mean it's the same course with the same work but there is a big difference in the perception of both uni's in NZ especially but not sure how they are viewed overseas.

Thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I've looked a lot on these threads, great info! thanks :)

I'm moving to Chiang Mai (I think it's a cool place) in mid January.

I have a Bachelors in Education, Diploma of Teaching and TESOL.

I've taught in New Zealand for a long time, China for 2 years, and now I want to work in Thailand.

I'm 52, but I don't think that will be too bad to get work.

My original area is Architecture and Teaching design technology, but I've taught English in China.

I've got enough money for about 4 months in CM (plus a scooter haha) (120,000 TB), which should be enough, but I worry...

I'm aiming to get some bit work while I look for a permanent position starting in May otherwise it'll be tight for a may start.

Will it be easy???

I've read a lot about my lucky qualifications, but not heard anything solid...

I guess one more thing. I like to play in class, not lecture. I'm into theatre, experiential learning and fun learning English, so University or other formal learning situations probably aren't the best.

Thanks for your help :)

Smile, you're in a warm place...

Pete

There are openings during the year at schools. With your qualifications, you should be able to pick up work, either part-time or at a regular school.

If you are unsure of what you want to do, try to find a school where you will only have to complete this academic year, rather than a full year.

I am not up on the situation in CM, but if lady-luck smiles on you, you should do well.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

There are openings during the year at schools. With your qualifications, you should be able to pick up work, either part-time or at a regular school.

If you are unsure of what you want to do, try to find a school where you will only have to complete this academic year, rather than a full year.

I am not up on the situation in CM, but if lady-luck smiles on you, you should do well.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Thanks Scott :)

I guess I can look for work anywhere in Thailand to complete the academic year.....

It'll be more convenient for job hunting to be in CM though, I daresay.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of our posters who have more experience in this area will hopefully be a long to give you more precise information.

How much you earn will depend on the work load with most Language Schools. Most of these schools will have a fair amount of evening and weekend work. A few teachers, once they have been around for a while, get the day work.

A few offer a work permit, but many do not. A lot of them ask for people with a degree, but many hire people without a degree.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

not sure where to start so will try to lay down as much info as possible. I have 8 years teaching experience in Thailand. Mainly Prathom (multiple subjects), and a couple of years Mathayom (English). All 8 years were spent working at the same school.

I first started teaching just to pass some time and used a degree from the University of Khao Sarn, I never tried to hide the fact, and the school I worked for seemed happy enough, supplying work permits and visas. While I was in Thailand I attained a TEFL from the London Teacher Training Centre, this was an on-line course recommended by my Head of Language at the time.

I really caught the bug for teaching so when the Ministry of Ed. decided to tighten up on the regulations I decided to get myself properly qualified. In 2009 I returned to the UK and started studying for a degree in literature with the Open University, which I'm now about a third of the way through. However, the better half wants me to return to Thailand ASAP. So to the questions:

Can I get a temp. teachers license on the basis that I am currently studying for a B.A.?

Would I be required to take the professional ethics and knowledge course by the T.C.T.? I ask this as I would be continuing with my degree and want to make sure I don't have to overload myself with to much academic work on top of teaching.

I currently work in the security industry so have all relevant police clearance certificates, and will probably return using a non O visa.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi there,

I'll be heading to Thailand in a couple of weeks with a view to teaching English and wondered if someone could give me an idea of what kind of salary I can expect and what kind of schools I'd be better off approaching...I have a first class degree from a top university in French and Linguistics and two year's experience teaching English overseas. I don't have a TEFL or equivalent. Do I stand a decent chance of getting a WP?

Thanks in advance!

You have very good prospects. If you have a degree, you should be able to find a job and you will be able to get a waiver for the Teacher's License and a work permit. If your degree isn't in education, begin to prepare yourself for either upgrading your degree with the number of credits you need for an education degree, or taking the exams. The waiver is good for 2 years, so you have time to explore your options. If you are not a native English speaker, you will have to take an English language proficiency exam, such a a TOIEC, which you will have no trouble passing. There are also some schools that teach various languages, so you might be able to find a job teaching French.

Depending on where you are going to living, you should be able to get a salary in the are of 30,000 to 40,000. This is not the best time to be looking for a teaching job at a regular school, but if lady luck smiles on you, you will find one. If not, you should be able to pick up a job at a language school.

Be prepared to support yourself for a few months while looking for work.

I'm a 24 year old machinest with a GED, no college degree, and 3 years of volunteer teaching experience with the Catholic Church. I was wondering how hard it would be to get a job with these qualifications (or lack thereof) and whether or not it would be worth it to get a TESL. I'm in love with Thailand and I love to teach, I was just hoping that I could somehow use an experience like this as motivation to advance my own education and possibly teach in the U.S.. So far, the leads I have found don't seem all too promising. I have have a cheap place to stay and some amazing references but seem to be held up by my lack of a BA. What would be your advice on a good way to get around this?

Thank you for taking the time to help. smile.png

-Joe

Edited by joenutt587

You may be able to get around in some areas, but your options are limited and will probably be more limited in the future. I would suggest you get yourself enrolled in a University with your sights set on getting a degree. You can start on-line, if you want, but it is hard work and takes a long time.

You may be able to get a waiver on the Teacher's License, but that will expire in 2 years. I believe you can get 3 waivers, but with each one you need to have accomplished something toward becoming fully qualified.

My concern for a lot of people--and I've seen it over the years--is they get a job, they do reasonably well and they never move forward. Eventually when time, The Thai Teacher's Council, The Ministry of Labor and Immigration snag them in one of the many regulations, they are well past the point in their life where they have many options.

Hi, another question for everyone. I am about to start my Bachelor of Education here in New Zealand and wondered if going to an International Baccalaureate School when I do my practical classes would be an advantage as most schools over here only teach the NZ curriculum? Cheers.

Thanks, it is a tough one as we have been given a list of around 100+ primary schools to choose from and we do a 1 week practicum in the first semester then a five week practicum in the second semester. We have just been told to pick whichever school we wish to go to, so no telling what kind of help or supervision you may get.

I just thought if I plan to teach in an international school in Thailand it may be a good idea to get some kind of experience in an IB school.

Anyway thanks for your help.

If your ultimate goal is to work in an International School, then practice teaching in one would be an excellent idea, especially since all other aspects are either unknown or equal regarding supervision and help.

I'd say go for it.

Hello,

Firstly, I just wanted to say thank you for all the fantastic advice on this thread. Scott, you really are a star!

I arrive in Bangkok in 2 weeks time with the intention of teaching English. I have a BA in marketing, an 20hr 'intensive' TEFL course through the company i-2-i and one year of experience teaching English to French adults.

I am aware that January is not the best time to be looking for work (sadly I was not so aware of this when I booked my ticket!). However, I am trying to stay optimistic.

In your opinion, will my experience outweigh the fact that my TEFL isn't as prestigious as many of the others out there?

Many thanks in advance.