Questions About Qualifications

Unless you find a job that you really, really want, you should have no trouble finding a job for 35,000 - 40,000. Be aware that some schools will have a probation period where you earn less. For example, I know of a school that takes 3,000 baht per month out of the salary during the probation for 3 months (total 9,000 baht).

This money is returned to you eventually--sometimes at the end of the probation period, some at the end of the contract, some when you leave the school.

Check on the benefits as well. Make sure they either get you a work permit and visa assistance etc. Make sure there are paid vacations and a full year contract. Some schools have summer sessions that teachers have to work, as well.

Best of luck.

Thanks again! That puts my mind at ease a little. Good advice on the contracts, too. Cheers!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello folks! I'm an American married to a Thai wife living in the states. We're currently not happy with life here and we both really would love to live in Thailand. I just found out I'm entitled to Thai citizenship because my Dad's Thai. I should be going to the Thai consulate here in Texas to apply for my birth certificate next month. So basically my question is, is it realistic for me to teach English after I complete a TEFL course without a college degree? I assume since I'll hopefully be a Thai citizen I will not need a Visa/Work permit. Any information would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

From a legal point of view, foreign teachers and Thai teachers must meet roughly the same criteria to get a Teacher's License. So the short answer to your question is, probably not, at least legally.

However, if you are a Thai citizen, then you do not have to worry about the visa or work permit, which is the net that catches many foreign teachers.

I know a few people who have similar backgrounds. They have a Thai passport and they teach.

The major cities are more competitive and demanding in wanting a Bachelor's degree, so how easy or difficult it will be for you to find work will depend on where your living.

My guess is that you would have few problems in finding employment. You might want to consider obtaining a degree in Thailand or on-line and working toward being completely legal if your desire is to teach.

You are not restricted to teaching if you have Thai nationality and you might want to seriously consider looking at all other options in Thailand, depending on your background and previous work experience.

Thanks for replying Scott!

I kind of figured it wouldn't be as easy as I wished. I plan on building a house in Banpong, Ratchaburi and I wonder if it would be easier there. My wife has a degree and had a good job at a bank and could go back and help with money. I've been in the oil and gas field for 10 years, specifically a barge Tankerman. From what I understand Thais do that job in Thailand and the pay isn't "what I'm used to" from what I've been told. Other than that I don't have any ideas for employment. I coming to Thailand in a week and may ask my family if they have any ideas about employment. Thanks again!

From a legal point of view, foreign teachers and Thai teachers must meet roughly the same criteria to get a Teacher's License. So the short answer to your question is, probably not, at least legally.

However, if you are a Thai citizen, then you do not have to worry about the visa or work permit, which is the net that catches many foreign teachers.

I know a few people who have similar backgrounds. They have a Thai passport and they teach.

The major cities are more competitive and demanding in wanting a Bachelor's degree, so how easy or difficult it will be for you to find work will depend on where your living.

My guess is that you would have few problems in finding employment. You might want to consider obtaining a degree in Thailand or on-line and working toward being completely legal if your desire is to teach.

You are not restricted to teaching if you have Thai nationality and you might want to seriously consider looking at all other options in Thailand, depending on your background and previous work experience.

Hello folks! I'm an American married to a Thai wife living in the states. We're currently not happy with life here and we both really would love to live in Thailand. I just found out I'm entitled to Thai citizenship because my Dad's Thai. I should be going to the Thai consulate here in Texas to apply for my birth certificate next month. So basically my question is, is it realistic for me to teach English after I complete a TEFL course without a college degree? I assume since I'll hopefully be a Thai citizen I will not need a Visa/Work permit. Any information would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

Dude, you're probably not going to listen to me, but here's some tough love. If you can't make it in America, you're probably not gonna make it in Thailand. trust me, I know I sound like a dink, but it's just how it is.

Dude, you're probably not going to listen to me, but here's some tough love. If you can't make it in America, you're probably not gonna make it in Thailand. trust me, I know I sound like a dink, but it's just how it is.

You're probably right. He ain't going to listen to you.

He hasn't said that they can't make it in America. He said they ain't happy there.

Sometimes it's a lifestyle choice.

Meh, thanks for being blunt. I lived in BKK for a year and I enjoyed it quite a bit so I think I'd be fine.

Dear All,

I very much have an interest with becoming a teacher in Thailand. My question is how employable will I be?

I left University after my first year in the UK (my wife at the time became pregnant). Since then over the past 16 years I have progressively worked myself into a senior position with the largest IT company on the planet. As well as a raft of technical skills within the IT industry, this is also coupled with large multi million $$ business transactions on behalf of my employer and clients negotiating and closing global IT outsourcing contracts.

I plan to undertake formal TEFL training and certification. However, before I invest time and effort in this, it would be great to get some views on how employable I may be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes, Paul

Without a degree, your prospects are somewhat limited. It is possible and even likely that you would find employment, but it won't be as easy as in the past.

As it currently stands, you will likely be limited to jobs in rural areas and generally not very attractive to a lot of teachers. (Some teachers love these areas). These schools may be able to get you the correct visa and a work permit. In the larger cities you might find work at a language school, but most of those don't or won't get a work permit. Some schools will hire you, but you will have to do visa runs.

Depending on your age (I am guessing maybe mid-30's?) and financial circumstances, I would tend to seriously re-consider such a change. You will be leaving a well paid job with benefits for a low paying job (around 30,000 - 35,000 baht per month, maybe less), with no or few benefits.

Teaching is also a challenging job. You will be dealing with a management style that is vastly different from the UK. Teaching is physically tiring, with a lot of time on your feet, most likely in hot, humid classrooms. And the students... well...sometimes they lack motivation.

Now, if I haven't scared you off completely and you decide to go forth with your plan, I want to wish you the best of luck. Hopefully other posters will be along to give you more advice and guidance.

Keep us posted.

• 1 month later...

I apologize if this has already been asked, but are there any international law schools that require Law Professors.

I have a Juris Doctorate Degree (J.D.) and my undergrad was in Psychology (B.A.)

I have taught Constitutional Law and have individually tutored law students on every subject taught in Law School.

Unfortunately I assume Thai Law Schools are only taught in the native dialect.

There are a number of schools that have international programs. These include Universities from overseas (Webster comes to mind) and local Thai Universities which have affiliated themselves with an overseas university for a particular program. The international programs are taught in English. Business degrees usually have a segment on Business law or international law.

You might want to check some of them out.

Here's an interesting riddle--would love it if someone could solve it for me--I am wrapping up fulfilling all requisites for obtaining a work permit to teach in Bangkok, but my employer states that I must present my university diploma, which I do not have. Obtaining a copy from my old university would be costly and time-consuming. I do have a copy of my teaching certificate (my diploma is for a B.A. in English, not Education), and I also have transcripts from my old uni which state that a degree was conferred upon me. I say this is suitable, but the Thai secretary at my school says it won't replace the diploma, which doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone with provide non-speculative advice on whether these documents will be sufficient, or is the actual diploma absolutely mandatory?

I long ago lost my 'piece of paper'. My paperwork was processed only the basis of my transcript, but that was a number of years ago. More recently, we had a teacher who had completed his Bachelor's Degree, but will not get his certificate until he has finished paying his school bills. He did however, get his official transcript. I also got a verification of his degree from the school. The verification letter and transcript were sufficient.

If your school is in the USA, there is a clearinghouse for verification of degrees. It takes a matter of hours for most degrees to be verified by email.

Best of luck.

The teacher I was referring to had his Work Permit issued on the basis of his transcript and the verification letter from the school.

The MOE accepted the same material for issuing the letter requesting the Non-immigrant B visa.

I do have some more info.

You may be aware that some new changes for WP applications and renewals went into effect last Friday.

New forms, new picture sizes and the requirement for a medical check, including Syphilis, annually.

One of our teachers was refused the WP renewal because of the change in the medical requirements. The teacher has to go back next week.

Also, the MoE will not accept DELTA course enrollment as a course for obtaining the 2nd or 3rd 'letter of waiver'. Reason given is that it is a 'course' and not a post-grad qualification.

This is all at Chaeng Wattana.

Edited by Phatcharanan

OK, this is my situation regarding teaching.

I live in Thailand on a marriage extension of stay. I retired in my mid-50s to come here in 2009. I live in a small town in rural Khon Kaen province.

I have a UK Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Building Services Mechanical & Electrical Engineering with a bias towards the mechanical aspects, followed by a great many years experience as an engineering designer and consultant.

I've been approached by a local school and asked if I'd be interested in teaching EITHER English OR Maths OR Science, but only one of the three, in a mini-EP. Maths & science I'd be comfortable with but my level of English grammar is such that I feel I could teach English too, given a little time to relearn the technical terms involved in language teaching.

I have no teaching experience and no TEFL qualifications. Not even sure I'd like teaching but I know it's something I'd never have considered in UK. My age means that, if I followed this through, it wouldn't be a career move but rather a means of keeping myself occupied and giving something back to the community I live in. I'd therefore have no interest at all in doing a TEFL course. My wife retires with a reasonable pension in 5 years so that would be the absolute maximum time I'd consider giving to teaching.

Salary has been quoted as 18,000 THB/month. While this extra income would be nice, it in no way is the difference between "living" and mere "existence". My first thought on the salary was that it appeared low but, in reality, it's not an important factor.

What are your thoughts?

Just as an aside, I've been lead to believe, after reading a number of teaching-related Thai websites, that Black native English-speaking teachers have a hard time finding teaching posts in Thailand. Whether or not it's true, I don't know. Anyway, this school has 3 African blokes teaching on the mini-EP; 2 from Ghana, 1 from Cameroon. After talking to them, they're all nice blokes, seem to be popular with the staff and fit in well. The school actually actively sought African blokes after their positive experience with the first, who's leaving at the end of the year.

So if you've suffered this sort of discrimination, don't despair. There ARE places for you even if it means coming to the wilds of Isaan. Hmmmmm - hope that doesn't sound patronising. Sorry if that's the way it reads.

Teaching English is usually not too difficult, technically. It's more conversation and not so heavy on grammar.

If you think you're interested, ask the school if you can visit a few classes with some of the teachers.

A degree must be from an accredited school. Diploma mills aren't accredited and thus would not qualify. The education officials are aware of diploma mills. I wouldn't try it and I have had people submit 'life experience degrees'. I've never acknowledged them and never tried to submit one for a work permit.

I don't know that they are considered fake, but it's not a recognized degree.

Hi Scott, quick question about accredited schools, how is this checked? is there a list somewhere that the MOE check against?

What information comes back when a degree is checked?

Thanks,

Biff

I don't actually remember, just off the top of my head. There is a form that is filled in which asks for some basic information, such as the applicants name, year graduated etc. It does not even ask for the major.

The reply simply says the name, the degree granted and the date granted.

As far as accredited schools is concerned, I have no idea who the MOE determines this. I was told that some time ago, they had a list of diploma mills and degrees from these places.

Whether or not the MOE would know that some of the religious universities in the US are not accredited, I don't know.

I don't actually remember, just off the top of my head. There is a form that is filled in which asks for some basic information, such as the applicants name, year graduated etc. It does not even ask for the major.

The reply simply says the name, the degree granted and the date granted.

As far as accredited schools is concerned, I have no idea who the MOE determines this. I was told that some time ago, they had a list of diploma mills and degrees from these places.

Whether or not the MOE would know that some of the religious universities in the US are not accredited, I don't know.

Thanks Scott :)

Can anyone tell me whether Bangkok Christian College is a decent place to work?

Please be aware that we do not allow 'naming and shaming' for legal reasons, so please exercise discretion in posting.

I've heard/read differing accounts of the school. I only have personal knowledge of one teacher who worked there. He left the school where I worked and went to BKK Christian. I talked to him toward the end of his first year and he seemed to satisfied with the school.

I might add that he was a good teacher and a good employee. He had a degree in education (if I recall correctly), never missed work, wasn't late and basically kept out of anybody's cross-hairs.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading through some of these posts it seems that to get the highest paying teaching job and also to be in the highest demand is to be a math or science teacher.

So my question is if your already a math/science teacher and wish to teach in Thailand, what are the chances of quickly landing a job that pays over 60,000 baht per month?

The salary would depend on the type of school. True-blue international schools, the ones that are approved in their home country, pay the highest salary; well above 60,000.

The local schools with international in their title, but not accredited abroad are probably next. Some of these may pay in the 60,000 range.

Most schools will pay you according to a pay scale, with some variation due to need, experience and other factors.

Hi All,

Please can you offer some advise on my situation. I am Married to a Thai lady and i am here in the land of smiles on a multi 1yr NON O visa but it is due to finish in about 60 days and i am looking for the best way to stay here. Unfortunately i am not a rich man and can not afford the NON O - 400k Bath in the bank visa. I have been offered a job teaching at the local school in my village and this is something i would love to do but i don't have a University degree so i am not eligible for the NON B visa. The school's director has said he will provide me with a work permit and i can work on the NON O visa. This advise seems to be against everything else i have seen. I spoke to Immigration and they advised me to just get a NON O visa from Laos (with marriage cert) or get a degree. lol. as i have said i am not rich and can't afford to just throw money at this. Can anyone advise what you think the best course of action is for my situation as there seems to be very little out there for people with out a degree who would like to teach and stay in Thailand.

Thanks in advance from a confused Dan.

It is my understanding, and hopefully, it will be corrected if I am wrong, that you can get a work permit with a non-O visa. Once you have the non-O, then the school can pursue a Work Permit. Some schools have been able to get Work Permits for teachers without a degree.

The things you might want to look at are:

Your location. If you are in a rural area, there is a greater chance of getting the Work Permit.

The relationship between the school and immigration. If the school has an existing relationship with immigration, then it might be possible. Have they had other foreign teachers? Have they gone through the process previously?

Best of luck and keep us posted.