Questions About Qualifications

Hello. What a useful and LONG thread. I have a B.A. in History from the US. I have taught/coached gymnastics at a fairly high level for the past 11 years. I plan on getting my TEFL within the year. My goal is to move to Chiang Mai in about a year or so and teach. Although my teaching experience is not with language will it still be viewed as teaching experience? Also, is it as easy to find a job as it is made out to be? Thanks to you all!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, one last thing, would it be better to get my TEFL in Thailand or in the US...or does it really matter. Thanks!

Not sure what school prefer, but on a purely personal basis, I think its best to do your TEFL here (in Thailand). The schools will recognise the TEFL school (especially if it's a good/respected one). I think, though, the main reason is that there are cultural differences and the teaching practises in Thailand will be relevant and the tutorship you will (should) get will be biased towards Thai schools/students/culture - believe me there is a fair difference teaching in the west and teaching in the kingdom. PM'd you a suggestion as to TEFL school in Chiang Mai as you mentioned that city.

There are schools that offer subject matter in English, including history/social studies. You might want to check for international or bilingual schools. Everything depends on the school, but experience teaching is experience teaching and it will only help you.

Best of luck.

Where I work, the last thing you want to be is a PE instructor. We have reasonably good luck with the foreign teachers (which are almost always Filipinos). PE is highly visible and the Admin notice everything that is done wrong. Health Education is taught by someone with either a science degree or a nursing degree.

As educational programs expand, there is more openings for subjects other than straight "English". A person with a background in history/social studies could get a job teaching in his area of expertise.

A TEFL isn't going to hurt you, because then you can always teach English as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Very difficult to say. In what area are you looking for work? When did you plan to start? What type of visa do you have?

Thank for the reply, I have a non-o visa and already have a work permit but am not working as a teacher at the moment. Is it legal or to work as a teacher without a degree? I am looking for work in the south preferably in nakhon si thammart for family reasons.

It is not illegal to work without a degree. It depends on the school and the policy of the MOE in your area. In the area where I work, regular Thai schools who have an English teacher can have non-degreed people teach. Bilingual schools are required to have a degree.

When you apply, make sure they know your educational background and the school will be able to either give you an answer or be able to find out.

Hopefully some other posters can give their experiences.

Best of luck.

It is not illegal to work without a degree. It depends on the school and the policy of the MOE in your area. In the area where I work, regular Thai schools who have an English teacher can have non-degreed people teach. Bilingual schools are required to have a degree.

When you apply, make sure they know your educational background and the school will be able to either give you an answer or be able to find out.

Hopefully some other posters can give their experiences.

Best of luck.

Thanks a ton :) , Is there a way to find out the MOE policy in differant areas of thailand?

I very much doubt it and I doubt that it is completely uniform, even in a particular area. Much of what happens in Thailand depends on personal relationships and other factors. When there is a change in personnel anywhere in the system everything can go topsy-turvy. It seems that a few school administrators are close friends with people at the Ministry and can get leniency that another person can't get.

It seems to me that exeption are more common than the rule!

Hopefully, a few people will post their experiences.

Wow there is a staggering amount of posts in this topic. I am probably going to ask questions that have been asked a hunderd times already. But I hope somebody is still willing to help me out a bit.

I have a bachelor degree, but I am not a native speaker.

What would be my posibilities as a teacher in Chiang Mai? Would I be able to teach (with or without completing a course/training) English? I've studied tourism and have 5+ years experience working in it. Would that open any posibilities to teach other subjects then English, because of my work experience?

What would be the best way to approach this new carreer switch?

Thnx already for any help and suggestions

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to find work teaching without a TEFL or degree? I've lived in BKK for 3.5 years and i've had some experience doing summer schools and private lessons. Would any school take me on on a full time contract?

Cheers in advance!

Love this site, and thanks so much for keeping up with this thread. I've got a some newbie type questions and hopefully you can steer me in the right direction.

I currently reside in the United States. I want to move to Bangkok (or specifcally Rangsit/Thanyaburi area) with my wife (who is Thai). She has a BA in english (from thailand) and is completely english fluent, so I'm not real worried about her finding a job there, but I am worried about myself.

Here comes the questions:

TEFL is the way to go for Thialand in my understanding. I have a Associates in computer information systems and about 10yrs of IT experience in a wide range of areas. If I were to get a TEFL certification would I be able to get a job teaching computers, as that's what i think I would be best at and enjoy the most?

Is there a demand for foreign computer teachers in Thailand. From my experience the younger generation of Thai seem technically savvy so I'm not sure.

Salary range? I've seen teaching jobs range from $1000 a month to $5000 a month. I could live pretty comfortably somewhere in between that I believe.

Where is the best place to get a TEFL Cert? I live in Cincinnati, and I'm finding much in certificate programs near by. I know there are some online courses, but I get the feeling those don't hold much weight.

That's a lot of questions, and I appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer.

Yes, there are some schools that teach computer and/or internet with foreign teachers, but the availability in the area you want, I don't know.

A TEFL would be a good idea and there are banners at the top of the site of places which are known and well respected. Your best bet is to get the TEFL here in Thailand.

A TEFL will allow you to teach English as well and that might be where you have to start out.

Welcome to the site and keep us posted.

Hi Everyone,

First let me say thanks to all of the posters for all of the helpful information on this forum. I am interested in moving to Thailand, within the next few months, to become an English Teacher. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Finance and an M.B.A. I have worked in Real Estate for the past few years. I taught business courses while preparing for my master's and had the pleasure of teaching my ex gf English but I do not have classroom experience teaching English. I will probably attend a TEFL course in Thailand to gain some experience and increase my comfort level. I am curious about the current demand for teachers and if you all think it will be difficult to obtain a position once I get there.

Thanks

At the top of the forum are a number of banners for TEFL courses which you might want to check out. Also, where in Thailand do you plan to be located? The March-April months will be good months for recruiting new teachers.

I would suggest checking out a TEFL and figuring out dates so that you will be available when schools open in May.

Thanks for the reply Scott. From the information that I've read it seems a good idea to locate where most of the jobs are in Bkk. Would that be your recommendation? Ideally I would begin a course in mid to late March. I will check out the links for more TEFL information. From your experience do you think it would be difficult to find work in the current climate?

With a degree and a TEFL you shouldn't have too many problems finding work, especially if you have assistance from the TEFL provider. I wouldn't worry too much about location. Bangkok is just to sprawling to be lucky enough to find a school where you want to live. You may get lucky, but statistically, chances are you will end having to move. Some people, however, don't mind a long commute.

Hello All

I am currently traveling through Dhaka and after my trip is finished here I would like to start teaching in Bangkok, Thailand. But, I want to understand a bit better the chances of it becoming a reality that good paying jobs are scarce. I would like to avoid being an ascetic so I can have an experience I can build from in case I take a different path or return to school.

I have been the Bangkok twice (love Thailand and the people) and I have been scouring this forum for information that may be important or valuable to me as I venture forward.

I am a black American with a BA (history) from Amherst College (2004), in Amherst, MA and I have a Masters of International Affairs from Columbia University (2008). But, despite these modest accomplishments, I don't expect them to merit much with potential Thai employers who may know nothing and care less than nothing about them. I also understand, not withstanding appearance, Thais are not the most racially sensitive perhaps and I may have factor that in? Also, is being male an issue for Thai school administrators?

But, I have two years experience as a mentor in New York with Mentoring USA (high school and middle school students). It's possibly the closest I've come professionally to a classroom.

Further, I neither have teaching experience nor do I have a US teaching credential or either TEFL certificate mentioned in the replies posted previously (I believe this forum is sponsored by TEFL or TESOL, so I know they are helpful but are they essential?

So, I am not sure my professional and educational background will necessarily qualify me to teach English to Foreign language speakers despite some of the optimistic testimonials I've come across on other sites encouraging undecided 20-somethings to come teach in Thailand (i.e. is it really possible to land a job paying above 30,000 baht in ten days?).

So my questions are:

1. What exactly is the best time of year to come to Bangkok to search to teaching positions? I understand that January to March/April isn't good. Do the universities and high/middle schools share the same academic calendar (approximately)?

2. Though any job is better than no job, can I expect to be able to find work at the local universities paying more than 30,000 baht? I have freelance editorial experience for Ph.D. candidates and journalism. Are these rare positions, poorly paid but good only for a visa and beer money?

3. Does the overwhelming presence of English speaking foreigners make Bangkok competitive job seekers' environment?

4. How did people, who may have come on a tourist visa transition to legal employment and status? Did your employer help? Is that possibility a lucky (as in rare) happenstance? Can it happen during a three month tourist visa jaunt? Experiences?

5. I was thinking of staying near Khoa San road, but I noted during reading that an address from that area would be a blight on my résumé. So, are there any suggestions to other cheap areas with some respectability?

I look forward to your responses and I thank you in advance for your consideration.

Regards,

Apollo

For the majority of schools, the new term starts in mid-May. Recruitment is active in March, April and May.

Hopefully some posters will advise you on University work.

There seems to be more applicants than jobs at this point in time, but around April that may change drastically. It's a big unknown. Qualified people will usually find work in a reasonable amount of time.

Employers should help with the work permit process. You get the paperwork from the school and leave the country and return with a non-immigrant B visa, they then apply for the work permit. Be aware that not all employers are on the cutting edge of this sort of stuff, but most would be. Talk to other employees about the situation.

I don't think the Khao San Road address is the problem if you have a degree.

Do remember that Thailand is quite xenophobic and your racial background will count against you. Also, consider teaching something else besides English. Some programs offer subjects in English, such as History etc.

Best of luck.

Welcome. Your educational qualifications are great. But whether you can find job teaching history or international affairs, who knows?

Don't list address on resume, just local mobile #. And a full color photo, to eliminate the few bigots. There is no strong bias against male teachers. BKK is a better job area than elsewhere. Good luck.

Two of my best friends in Thailand are African American, so I can say for certain that finding a teaching job is possible. However, teaching History or International Affairs is probably going to be difficult. Schools usually rely on Thai teachers to teach History or as I refer to it "Thai mythology :) ".

Also, few Thais will recognize degrees from Universities from like Amherst or Columbia as being any better than degrees from your average State College, simply because they probably won't have heard of any US university. I graduated from Stanford & the average Thai school Admin person has no clue as to whether it's a good university or not. :D

Edited by otherstuff1957