Questions About Qualifications

Hello,

Firstly, I just wanted to say thank you for all the fantastic advice on this thread. Scott, you really are a star!

I arrive in Bangkok in 2 weeks time with the intention of teaching English. I have a BA in marketing, an 20hr 'intensive' TEFL course through the company i-2-i and one year of experience teaching English to French adults.

I am aware that January is not the best time to be looking for work (sadly I was not so aware of this when I booked my ticket!). However, I am trying to stay optimistic.

In your opinion, will my experience outweigh the fact that my TEFL isn't as prestigious as many of the others out there?

Many thanks in advance.

You should be fine in finding work: definitely part-time, possibly full-time. Bangkok has many teaching opportunities. Your experience and qualifications are a plus, but not completely necessary.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife may be getting transferred down to Bangkok sometime around August or Septemeber so I'm wondering will there be a lot of hiring for the second semester in Novemeber? I have an MEd, secondary teaching certifcate in Social Studies from the state of Texas and for over 10 years I've been teaching at universities here in Korea.

If not would it be a good idea to do a CELTA or TESOL cert then maybe get a short term contract at a language school and wait for the new school year?

If your wife is transferred, I would suggest that you go about interviews and see what is available for November. If you do not find something suitable--and that includes being conveniently located--then take a part time or language school type work until something opens that is to your liking.

If you have a degree in education and experience, you will have no trouble in finding a job. More education and qualifications will be of little help. If schools that are interested in you and that you are interested in working at, don't have any openings, then you will have to bide your time until one is available.

Further education is not going to hurt you, but I wouldn't advise it unless you feel like you want to do it to better yourself. It will not significantly increase your employability.

If your wife is transferred, I would suggest that you go about interviews and see what is available for November. If you do not find something suitable--and that includes being conveniently located--then take a part time or language school type work until something opens that is to your liking.

If you have a degree in education and experience, you will have no trouble in finding a job. More education and qualifications will be of little help. If schools that are interested in you and that you are interested in working at, don't have any openings, then you will have to bide your time until one is available.

Further education is not going to hurt you, but I wouldn't advise it unless you feel like you want to do it to better yourself. It will not significantly increase your employability.

OK thanks, its just that I see all these ESL job ads saying they want a TESOL cert as part of their job requirements thats why I was wondering, An MEd and US teacher credential along with experience I assume then trumps a TESOL/CELTA?

I have read through this thread with great interest. I have a question: am I employable?

I am in my late 60s. (suspect big no!no!) I am a registered teacher in the UK (Ministry of Education). Am ex Adviser/Principal with B.Ed(Hons), M.A. (Ed)., Ph.D. Am a qualified Accountant. Subjects: education, economics, accounting, finance, statistics (quantitative methods).

Have taught in school, college, university. Have taught teachers to teach, and held senior admin/management positions.

Suspect I am too old and over qualified, but would be grateful for views. (Am still in possession of ALL my faculties (mental and physical).

I have a cousin a teacher major in Biology, he wants to apply as a science teacher in thailand, can anybody help him or guide him on how to work there? thank you very much..

Push him toward the government universities, which do not require teaching credentials, only degrees.

I have read through this thread with great interest. I have a question: am I employable?

I am in my late 60s. (suspect big no!no!) I am a registered teacher in the UK (Ministry of Education). Am ex Adviser/Principal with B.Ed(Hons), M.A. (Ed)., Ph.D. Am a qualified Accountant. Subjects: education, economics, accounting, finance, statistics (quantitative methods).

Have taught in school, college, university. Have taught teachers to teach, and held senior admin/management positions.

Suspect I am too old and over qualified, but would be grateful for views. (Am still in possession of ALL my faculties (mental and physical).

Dismiss the age thing. One of our best university professors in our faculty is a western man in his early 70's. If you're qualified (and you certainly seem to be) and healthy, they'll open the doors wide open for you.

Hi all,

The wife and I want to move to Thailand hopefully next year, to Chiang Mai specifically. I have a Bachelor of Science, double major in biology and microbiology, plus an honours year in biology on top of that. I’m thinking of taking up teaching over there and wondering what my qualifications might lead to.

I plan to get a TESOL certificate which doesn’t take much time and would certainly be useful, but ultimately I’d really like to teach science after spending several years studying it.

I’m considering studying for a graduate diploma in teaching, which would be great to have but wondering if I really need to do that. It’s a lot of time and effort if it’s not really necessary.

Seems to be a lot of experience and knowledge here, so does anyone have any thoughts on my situation?

Many thanks in advance.

First, you are employable and should have few problems in finding a teaching job. If you want to teach biology, you will have to look at 2nd tier International Schools (those that are not necessarily accredited by a home country, such as the UK, USA etc.). Bilingual schools will also teach science in English. Grade 10 (Mathyom 4) is the general level for taking biology. Only a rather large school would probably employ someone to teach just biology, so be prepared to teach maybe general science and biology.

You may also end up being an English teacher.

Whether getting an education qualification is necessary depends on your long range plans. You mention your wife is coming with you. Does she have a job? Does she intent to work and if so, as a teacher? How long do you plan on being in Thailand?

If your long range plan is to be a teacher, then pursue an education qualification. If teaching is just a stop-gap measure on the way to something else, then I wouldn't pursue it. You will be able to get a 2 year waiver for the Teacher's License (TL). You will have to take the Thai Culture Course (about a 3 day course). After the 2 year waiver, then you will have to start 'up-grading' to an education degree in order to continue to get waivers for the TL.

Some of our CM residents may be able to give you better information about the situation on the ground.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Since you have a Bachelor's degree you should be able to secure a teaching job. With no experience, it will take a little more effort, however. Having a TEFL might help. You should be able to earn a salary of 35,000 baht per month and up at a regular school. The hiring season is starting for the upcoming academic season so it's a good time to get your resume out there.

Language schools will vary in the amount you earn, depending on how many hours you teach.

You might also want to look at schools that teach Spanish.

• Like 1

Whether getting an education qualification is necessary depends on your long range plans. You mention your wife is coming with you. Does she have a job? Does she intent to work and if so, as a teacher? How long do you plan on being in Thailand?

If your long range plan is to be a teacher, then pursue an education qualification. If teaching is just a stop-gap measure on the way to something else, then I wouldn't pursue it. You will be able to get a 2 year waiver for the Teacher's License (TL). You will have to take the Thai Culture Course (about a 3 day course). After the 2 year waiver, then you will have to start 'up-grading' to an education degree in order to continue to get waivers for the TL.

All good info Scott, thanks.

We plan to stay in Thailand for a long time. My wife doesn’t plan to work there, she is originally Thai and she owns a house there already and earns income from investments. But for me, teaching would be a long term thing (or I would also be happy doing research assistance work at a university, but I don't suspect there's much of that available) so I think getting the education qualification is the way to go. That means we won’t get there until end of 2013 but that’s ok. I don’t want to have to be applying for waivers and whatnot. Is the TL easy to get with an education qualification?

The second semester starts in November, but there is a spike in hiring in late September-November. There are, however, openings throughout the year, just not as many.

There is a fair amount of turnover of foreign teaching staff in Thailand.

• 2 months later...

This is a great topic. I am pleased to see that everyone has their questions answered.

Here is my scenario:

I am currently living in Canada and am a Canadian citizen.

I am engaged to a Filipina that is residing in the Philippines.

We plan to get married within the year.

I have a College Diploma but no university degree. I have a TESL Diploma with 100 hours of in class training and a 20 hour practicum.

I have been a Paralegal for the past 10+ years.

I have 3 years experience teaching Law at the college level.

I have two DUIs on my record but have been sober for years.

I would like to teach ESL in Thailand with a valid work permit. I don't want to work illegally.

Questions: Can I realistically get a work permit to teach in Thailand with my qualifications (or, lack thereof) and record? And if so, is there such a thing as a spousal visa so that my Filipina finacee could accompany me?

If your wife has a degree, I would suggest that SHE get a teaching job (or any other employment) and you go under her visa. If that's a possible scenario, it would be the course of least resistance.

As for your questions. Can you teach? Probably, but without a degree, you may encounter some problems in securing a waiver for the Teacher's License and subsequently for the non-immigrant B visa and Work Permit.

There is a lot of inconsistency in how the regulations are applied, so it depends on where you are living/working.

If I were in your shoes, I would seriously re-consider coming to Thailand to Teach as a career move, especially with the added responsibility of a family--but that's just a personal aside.

If your wife has a degree, I would suggest that SHE get a teaching job (or any other employment) and you go under her visa. If that's a possible scenario, it would be the course of least resistance.

As for your questions. Can you teach? Probably, but without a degree, you may encounter some problems in securing a waiver for the Teacher's License and subsequently for the non-immigrant B visa and Work Permit.

There is a lot of inconsistency in how the regulations are applied, so it depends on where you are living/working.

If I were in your shoes, I would seriously re-consider coming to Thailand to Teach as a career move, especially with the added responsibility of a family--but that's just a personal aside.

Thanks for the reply, Scott.

She does not have a degree either.

I really like the LOS and want to be able to work/live there without any headaches. But, after all my research it seems that it may not be doable.

In my opinion, a degree means absolutely nothing. I have had many a co-op student with a degree in my office where I wonder how they ever got through university. Life experiences and training SHOULD count for something if employers want knowledgeable people.

Oh well. I could always try China.

Your problem with regard to working in Thailand is that neither of you meet the criteria for being able to reside here easily. Usually, we have the situation of people being married to or a partner of a Thai person, which makes getting around the rules a little easier.

Best of luck. Keep us posted on your situation.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for some advice on the best course of action to take. Here's my lowdown:

I'm a 30 year old male NES from the UK. My highest qualification is a Higher National Diploma: Communication with Media.

I spent two years (2009-2011) as a TEFL teacher in provincial Thailand at various establishments and teaching all age groups. The second job I landed was at a university where I was assured that my four years at college were equivalent to an Associates Degree, which was equivalent to Bachelors Degree and the President of the university wrote a letter claiming I had a BA with which the uni obtained a work permit and Non-B visa for me.

I left Thailand in 2011 because the school I worked for could not provide adequate documentation for me to get a Non-B, and the embassy kept demanding a letter from the MoE, which the school did not obtain on my behalf. (I believe this was because the MoE require to see a copy of the degree certificate, but then I heard that as long as the school vouch for the teacher everything should go ahead without a hitch).

I am currently in the UK working and saving to return to Thailand within a couple of months. I am studying a TEFL certificate online and considering various Life Degrees (I know several teachers who have had no problem finding work with Life Degrees from the University of Dublin, but have been informed that Almeda University are better 'accredited'...).

I am also considering taking a CELTA or TESOL course at some point, or studying for an official BA with the Open University, although these are both expensive and time consuming.

Naturally, I would like to take the easiest path with the least amount of hassle which enables all processes to happen above board. I have contacted the relevant qualifications authority to see if I am eligible for BA accreditation or suchlike, but am curious as to what other options would best suit me otherwise?

I really enjoyed teaching Pratom classes at the Tessaban schools, but also enjoyed university and adult classes as well so I'm open to pretty much anything and am aware that there are different requirements for different types of teaching.

Also, the teaching licence, Thai culture course and/or the new study program that is in place confuse matters even more,,,,any help, hints or tips would be much appreciated.

The spanner in the works is the Teacher's Council of Thailand that grants the Teacher's License or the waiver. Although there are accounts of people receiving a waiver without a Bachelor's degree, that has not been my experience. Most schools can't get the Work Permit without the TL or waiver.

Universities do not need a TL, so it is a little easier for them to bypass the TCT. Likewise we have not been able to get anywhere with a Life Experience degree. We have to submit the degree and the transcript, the transcript being the more important document. We have teachers who have actually lost the degree and have received a waiver based solely on their transcript. We have not, for many years, had a waiver granted with the degree only. Without the waiver, we have not been able to get the non-B and without the non-B, no work permit is granted.

Likewise, it has not been my experience that an Associate's degree is equivalent to a Bachelor's degree.

We have never been asked, nor granted a waiver, for any employee because we vouched for him/her. It has always been based on the paperwork submitted. Currently, we I know of a number of teachers who are attending classes to complete their Bachelor's and others who are upgrading to an education degree--both on-line or at a local University program.

At 30, your best bet is to get in full compliance. I am afraid that other hassles will occur down the road if you don't. Should you get over some of the hurdles, you may be stuck at the same school without the option of moving.

Also, the teaching licence, Thai culture course and/or the new study program that is in place confuse matters even more,,,,any help, hints or tips would be much appreciated.

Teacher License requirements:

http://www.ksp.or.th...Requirement.pdf

Provisional Teaching Permit requirements:

http://www.ksp.or.th... permit_Eng.pdf

Routes to the Teacher License:

http://www.ksp.or.th/Khurusapha/en/userfiles/02%20Routes%20to%20teaching%20license.pdf

Edited by aidenai

Is it just me But i look at the Teachers Council website to check my degree online

It says to look for the " professional Licence section" then look for "Foreign Teacher's Qualification check"

Maybe i'm blind but i can't find this in the english version online

Has anyone done this and can help me?????

Is it just me But i look at the Teachers Council website to check my degree online

It says to look for the " professional Licence section" then look for "Foreign Teacher's Qualification check"

Unfortunately, it's only in Thai.

http://203.21.42.34/acc/index.html

Third radio button. Type in the name of the university in the second box. If your university doesn't pop up, try copying the Thai text below in the first box.

UK: สหราชอาณาจักร

USA: สหรัฐอเมริกา

AUS: ออสเตรเลีย

You'll get lists of the universities in the country.

If your university is still not there, then I'm afraid that the university isn't accredited by the Civil Service Commission of Thailand.

Unfortunately, it's only in Thai.

http://203.21.42.34/acc/index.html

Third radio button. Type in the name of the university in the second box. If your university doesn't pop up, try copying the Thai text below in the first box.

UK: สหราชอาณาจักร

USA: สหรัฐอเมริกา

AUS: ออสเตรเลีย

You'll get lists of the universities in the country.

If your university is still not there, then I'm afraid that the university isn't accredited by the Civil Service Commission of Thailand.

Cheers mate very helpful

Hi everyone,

I've been researching into teaching in Thailand. I have been there on numerous occasions and I have a lot of friends who have families over there.

I have never taught English as a foreign language before and I haven't completed a TEFL course. However, I have just finished my PGCE Secondary in the subject of RE. Im aware that it is highly unlikely that you can teach RE in Thailand but I would love to teach there for a year.

Whilst looking for jobs, the vast majority say that you must already live there.

Is it possible for me to apply for jobs over here to teach there, prior to me moving out there.

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Rachael

You can apply from overseas, and some schools do hire, but boots on the ground will usually be taken first. Thailand isn't known for planning ahead.

You might want to send your resume/CV to schools or make contact with someone at the school. The hiring season is usually in March, April and early May, but there are openings throughout the year, although these are usually when a teacher is needed rather quickly.

It's best to include a copy of your passport -- the photo page, a copy of your transcript and degree as well as the TEFL certificate.

Edited by Scott