Toyota hybrid vs normal engine

Thinking about buying a new Toyota C HR and would appreciate some advice.  The CHR has 2 engines with 2 different transmissions.  The lower priced one has a 1.8l motor with a CVT i7 transmission.  The other is a 1.8l Hybrid with a E CVT transmission.  I don't have any experience with a Hybrid.  I did test drive one, Hybrid, last week.  It doesn't have a tachometer and I couldn't really see what the engine or Electric motor was doing.  Any knowledge, experience out there?  Thanks

I have tested it as well and thought the hybrid lacked power. When looking at the specs it showed the petrol engine has about 20 HP more (total) and it weighs a bit less of course.On top of that it takes the cheaper gasohol compared to the hybrid. so thats when I decide, if I get one it will be the petrol one, unfortunately, as I don't mind helping the planet a bit.

I don't see the whole hybrid thing. All the power is generated by burning hydrocarbons so where does the saving the planet bit come from?  Hybrid cars have heavy batteries so have to drag then around everywhere. Hybrid Porsches get a tax break so are cheaper. So that might be a reason to buy one. 

Other than that i don't get it.

You sort of recycle power with it. so fuel consumption goes down. Or in the case of some supercars you get mind blowing performance. But yeah, with the terribly polluting production process of batteries and like you stated, wasted energy from dragging them around. it is certainly not flawless.

The Toyota Prius have the same Hibryd  engine that the new Toyotas Hibryd  since 2011, and in the USA is #1 in reliabilty, apreciation, and economy. All have 10 years engine/battery factory warranty. The only problem is that after 10 years any replacement or repair of the engine/battery could be very expensive. Anyway, Toyotas Prius, Corollas, and Camry are on the list of the cars that can go over 300.000 miles without any problem, and have the best resale value. On the same list are Honda Civic, Honda Accord, Honda Jazz/Fit, Nissan Teana, and Subaru Outback.

Most, if not all, of the electrical power is generated whenever you’re slowing down. You’ll hardly ever use the brake pedal, unless to come to a full stop. That’s why these hybrids save quite a lot of fuel in city stop and go traffic although they have a really small battery (you can only do a few miles on pure electric power), but they’re not much better (or not at all) on long drives or on the highway. So you have to choose wisely, depending where you’ll be using it most of the time. Other benefits would be no engine noise at standstill (red lights, very slow traffic) and probably slightly better acceleration at slow speeds (0-50 kph) due to the immediate torque of the electric motor. 

I think hybrids come into their own if you do a lot of start stop driving in a city. This is when a petrol car consumes more fuel and is more poluting. Under these conditions the hybrid would run on electric. If most of the driving is long distance then petrol is likely to win.

Picked up my CHR on Saturday- electric blue - am getting used to the Hybrid.

its super smooth - bit weird setting off with no engine noise- it’s so quiet .

I read loads of reviews - yes many say lacking in power - personally I don’t get all those reviews- so obsessed with 0-60 times. In Thailand there is almost no point in having a super fast car. 

Its not a truck and seems quick enough.

I bought it for all the safety features- 5*NCAP , 7 airbags , radar etc etc. 

Back is a bit claustrophobic- but I don’t have family etc - it’s just one or two in the front.

The manual on the sound / info system is 200 pages - have not even switched it on yet. 

Nearly every thing is set on auto- so you never think about lights, wiper , parking brake etc.

Pleased with the car- don’t think it’s a family car, and you can’t get a buffalo in the back. 

Since 6 years I have a Toyoto Prius, now 105,000 km.
In the city it uses about 5 to 6 l / 100 km, on the highway about 4 to 5 l / 100 km. Of course only when you drive moderate. During a journey with 4 people and luggage in the mountains from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son 5 l / 100 km.

With 44 l it drives 800 km without seeing a gas station. And when finally the indicator goes on I have still more than 100 km to go.
In the beginning I wanted know how low I can go when driving slow. I drove on a rather flat highway with 50 to 60 km/h for more than 100 km: 2.7 l / 100 km. The computer still displays this trip with the lowest consumption.

I enjoy this now already more than 6 years and don't think about the higher purchase price which I paid once and accepted that with the low petrol prices in Thailand I won't get the additional costs back.

10 minutes ago, willi2006 said:

In the city it uses about 5 to 6 l / 100 km, on the highway about 4 to 5 l / 100 km.

I have a few friends who drive Prius’ (or Prii?) in Switzerland, and they all say the use not more than 5 in the city. I guess the difference must the constantly running A/C, in a regular petrol car the A/C draws a lot of power too (the Prius has an electric compressor, unlike other cars, where the compressor is driven by the engine, via a belt). 

People think Toyota Prius lack in power compared with similar petrol cars. Even when you push down the accelerator pedal they accelerate smooth in Normal and Eco mode similar as lifts do and you don't feel a push in the back as most petrol cars do because some people like this. In Sport mode they accelerate also abruplty and if there's power in the battery the electrical engine gives additional power.

Just now, willi2006 said:

People think Toyota Prius lack in power compared with similar petrol cars. Even when you push down the accelerator pedal they accelerate smooth in Normal and Eco mode similar as lifts do and you don't feel a push in the back as most petrol cars do because some people like this. In Sport mode they accelerate also abruplty and if there's power in the battery the electrical engine gives additional power.

It’s also because of the CVT-like transmission. It’s not really a CVT, they developed their own transmission system, I think it includes a planetary gear set, but I’m not 100% sure. But it makes the engine rev up like a CVT whenever you accelerate, and you don’t get that feeling of a ‘strong acceleration’, even if it performs really good in any real-world scenario. 

11 minutes ago, Sapporillo said:

I have a few friends who drive Prius’ (or Prii?) in Switzerland, and they all say the use not more than 5 in the city. I guess the difference must the constantly running A/C, in a regular petrol car the A/C draws a lot of power too (the Prius has an electric compressor, unlike other cars, where the compressor is driven by the engine, via a belt). 

Yes I made the same experience by comparing hot and sunny days with cold days with clouds. On long distances with higher speeds the A/C consumes about 0.5 to 1 l per 100 km. In the city it's more because of the lower speed. This is because A/C consumes per hour and not per km driven. When the car uses 5 l per 100 km the difference with A/C is seen better than with a car using 10 l.

Thanks for the info.  I live out in the boonies and don't do much city driving.  I am going to Toyota tomorow and will go for the normal motor.  I like the white pearl.  Anyone know if they have User manuals in English?

5 minutes ago, spider1197 said:

Thanks for the info.  I live out in the boonies and don't do much city driving.  I am going to Toyota tomorow and will go for the normal motor.  I like the white pearl.  Anyone know if they have User manuals in English?

If not try to google it, lots of electronic and scanned manuals are available on the Internet. 

30 minutes ago, spider1197 said:

Yes I have a manual in English- just make sure you ask when ordering the car.

its quite a funky car- I went to the motor show to check out the colours - you can’t  really tell from brochures - of course it’s up to you - but the blue and red suit the car- white a bit boring ( apologies)

23 minutes ago, spider1197 said:

You just ask for one and they will get one from Bangkok. My ten cents on the Prius. I have had three or four and loved them all. The first one I had I was doing 80mph with a/c on driving to Wyoming with lots of long hills and  averaged 60mpg. Nearly hit a deer at speed which would have been a disaster smashing the front in, mainly because this was one of the earliest Prius and none in Wyoming and nowhere close to fix it. 

After the Prius we went for a Nissan Leaf all electric.....only once did we get caught with not enough battery power to get home. But the car will tell you where the closest places to charge, and it turned out to be a university on the weekend. Thirty minutes snooze and all good and headed home. Never ever paid for electricity because there are free chargers in Santa Monica, also free parking on meters, and for a while access to the car lane with only the driver. Got big rebates on the Prius's from the government. As for the Prius batteries, they are used as taxis and have clocked over 200,000 miles with no problems. I am surprised by how many I used to see in Phuket, though I don't think they make them anymore in Thailand.

1 hour ago, willi2006 said:

People think Toyota Prius lack in power compared with similar petrol cars.

If people would accept the same performance from a petrol car that they do from a diesel then petrol cars could be more economic. So then Prius gets better gas mileage because the performance is lower than a regular petrol car? In which case I am starting to understand.

If you buy a non Hybrid, then you only can have the Black, White and Silver as color.

The other 3 colors are reserved for the Hybrid version.

I have drove the normal and the Hybrid version of the C-HR and I have to say I like the Hybrid version, because especially in Bangkok where are a lot of start-/stop you can save some gasoline. The Design is very special for the moment. About the acceleration power... I not want a car which makes 0-100 in 3 seconds. Of course I not would say no to a car like that but this is not a "must have" feature.

For me was the electric helpers and the features more important. Because them I also was looking at the Mazda CX-5 (not available yet as hybrid 2020 I think).

3 hours ago, ToddinChonburi said:

Once you turn on ac or heater the car will have to run on engine. I tried test driving a prius in the US and almost impossible to just run on battery.  Then turn on ac or Heater then forget it.

Not entirely true. The heater works with the heat from the combustion engine, so yes, it will start the engine if the cabin gets cooler than your preferred temperature,  but the A/C has an electric compressor and doesn’t need to run the ICE to work. Maybe you don’t understand the concept of the standard Prius? Its battery is not supposed to drive the car on its own, at best you could drive a few miles (maybe 5, but I’m just guessing here) on pure electric power, but unless you push the button to put it in electric mode, it will never do that. It will use the electric motor to assist the ICE engine while accelerating, especially from a standstill where a combustion engine is the most inefficient, but as soon as you get up to speed, the car’s brain will use both systems in order to keep the battery sufficiently charged at all times. About the only times the car runs on electric only is when you’re driving very slowly, like advancing slowly on a congested road (creeping). 

There’s a version of the Prius with a significantly larger battery, called the plug-in Prius, which you can charge on the mains, and this version can go a little further on electric power, not unlike the Chevy Volt (but with a shorter electric range). I don’t know if it’s available in Thailand though. 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

There are small diesels that rival the hybrids for fuel economy, although I don't know which are available in Thailand.

True about the fuel economy, but when it comes to refinement (in city traffic), nothing beats the silence (and total absence of vibrations) of a hybrid. It really is very comfortable to sit there and advance in silence, especially compared to a diesel.  

My friend had a Prius and couldn't get rid of it quick enough. It was heavy and gassy in what I would describe as mixed use. I'm not sure about these hybrids, i don't think they add much at all. I bought my ex a Honda civic which runs on E - something or other, is pleasant to drive, can motor if you want it to and doesn't cost a fortune to gas up. I went for the Honda in Thailand as personally I see them as more robust than Toyotas, more reliable and better made than Nissans and one of the safer options to run my daughter around in. In UK I only buy my kids German cars, because of the safety, I would choose Honda in Thailand purely on this basis but I think there would have to be some astounding technological breakthroughs for me to consider a hybrid.

12 minutes ago, Sapporillo said:

True about the fuel economy, but when it comes to refinement (in city traffic), nothing beats the silence (and total absence of vibrations) of a hybrid. It really is very comfortable to sit there and advance in silence, especially compared to a diesel.  

I personally find it very strange - why would anybody want a diesel- they are only suitable for farm vehicles- so agree with you. 

As someone who has actually some experience of buying and driving a CHR , this thread seems to full of people rabbiting on about old Prius models. 

The CHR has moved on a bit- it super smooth, weirdly quiet, grippy - you don’t need vast power in a car, handling is the key. 

We live in a country where petrol is cheap ( although the hybrid uses 95 - not the eco warrior E20 or E95 ) . 

41 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

I personally find it very strange - why would anybody want a diesel- they are only suitable for farm vehicles- so agree with you. 

As someone who has actually some experience of buying and driving a CHR , this thread seems to full of people rabbiting on about old Prius models. 

The CHR has moved on a bit- it super smooth, weirdly quiet, grippy - you don’t need vast power in a car, handling is the key. 

We live in a country where petrol is cheap ( although the hybrid uses 95 - not the eco warrior E20 or E95 ) . 

Old Prius? It’s been updated regularly, and the latest models have been getting praise even from some former Prius haters. But of course, to each his own, otherwise we could all be driving Trabants, just like the Communists. 

I agree about diesels, 4 cylinder diesels are just not very refined once they have a few 10’000 miles on the clock (they’re quite good when they’re new, but after a while the stronger vibrations start getting through, I’ve experienced it myself whenever I brought my company car in for service and they gave me a brand new loaner, the difference got more obvious every time. It was a German brand renowned for their diesels). But a lot of people don’t care about these things and don’t even notice them, they wouldn’t know if they drive a V8 or a 3 cylinder either.  But they might appreciate a better infotainment system or a more prestigious brand name, something I don’t care about. So there you go - to each his own :) 

• 3 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:45 PM, Sapporillo said:

Most, if not all, of the electrical power is generated whenever you’re slowing down. You’ll hardly ever use the brake pedal, unless to come to a full stop. 

You really think so; hybrids brake automatically most of the time, do they?

Archived