Building Custom Computer In Thailand

sbaker8688

Will be in Thailand soon, and shortly thereafter will need to build a new custom computer. Doing this in the states is relatively cheap - you just scope the various sites such as tigerdirect and newegg, and mail order parts. However, I suspect if I tried to do the same in Thailand (mail order parts) I would get hit with import duties?

1) Would I get hit with import duties? If so, what are the alternatives?

2) What are the standard options for internet (DSL, cable, etc), how expensive is it, and how do you go about getting it?

THANKS.

Personally, nobody checked my bag for electronics while arriving in Thailand, I thinking that bringing some of the stuff (CPU, graphics card, HDD, memories, motherboard even) with yourself will be better. I brought my graphics card from Singapore and CPU also because I couldn't find them in LoS, memories also, nobody raised an eyebrow.

As for the internet, your best option would be ADSL, the availability depends on where are you planning to settle...

As for regular stuff, hard drive, dvd burner, ram etc, might as well just the here. I assume you have been to thailand before? Been to pantip plaza, fortune town, etc?

Maybe if there is super killer graphics card you want then bring it from the US, but other than that should be able to get it here. (then again with the dollar dying maybe it would be cheaper at home!)

I got mine built at Pantip Plaza in BKK, I went there with a list of all the bits I needed, took the list to several of the many man shops and they all worked out a price. Strangley enough quite a bit of price difference between them all. They also dont charge you anything to build them, I was going just to buy the bits and build it myself but they said they do it for free. Ill be there again soon for another machine. I havent got a clue how much cheaper the parts are though than the US, I think there cheaper than Uk parts or about the same.

Edited by Jared

The latest and greatest graphics card [Nividia 8800 GTX] is available at the IT Mall at Fortune, I think it cost in the region of 25,000 Baht, they also had decent motherboards (ASUS P5B deluxe), Dual Core CPU's, and DDR2 800 Ram too.

They only thing I wasn't too impressed with was the choice of PSU's, everything else seemed pretty good.

I think it's a given.

Buy everything here and have it put together.

Spend a day in one of the bigger computer malls here and your eyes will bleed anyway.

I'm sure you can make a "monster turbo" machine, all with parts bought here.

Agreed to what was said above, good PS are hard to get by, but not impossible.

It all comes down to how much you're willing to pay.