Hairdressers Protest Against Opening up Jobs to Foreigners

snoop1130

Hairdressers Protest Against Opening up Jobs to Foreigners

by CityNews

5522556-1600x800.jpg

CityNews – Local hairdressers have filed a petition to the government, opposing the proposed lift on a ban on foreign workers in the hairdressing industry in Thailand, headed by the Hairdressing Association of Chiang Mai.

On May 2nd, around 50 hairdressing entrepreneurs gathered at Damrongtham Centre to file a petition against a new proposal seeking to unlock the hairdressing occupation for foreigners. 

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/hairdressers-protest-opening-jobs-foreigners/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-5-3
  • Haha 1

On Bkk Sukhumvit Soi 22 you will find 17 hair salons on a stretch of 1.2 Km. With foreign hairdresser allowed to work here expect an out-migration to other popular industries like bar girls and motorbike taxi jockeys.

No such thing as foreign competition in Thailand so this non- story is just a front for something else thats going on behind the scenes.

I certainly wouldnt want a hair cut from the  creepy  looking Thai  in the black polo shirt standing behind the woman.:ph34r:

I thought this was supposed to be the Asean hub of business? If you're faithful in the little things then you'll be faithful in the big things.

Edited by quandow
Spelling

On May 2nd, around 50 hairdressing entrepreneurs gathered at Damrongtham Centre to file a petition against a new proposal seeking to unlock the hairdressing occupation for foreigners

My barber makes good money. From 35 to 80 baht for a haircut now. His own house, 30 customers a day is already 2,4 K/day.

What would the World think when Germans go on the streets to make sure that restaurants should be run by Germans, not Turkish citizens?

I'm off to file a partition on my PC now./ 

• Like 1

In four years I’ve found two hairdressers who can cut my hair the way I like it. 

The first was when I first arrived and disappeared from the shop. They didn’t have a phone number. Ive just found a second and have her number. 

If you find anyone in Thailand who knows what thier doing ( no matter what it is ) get thier number and tip them. 

19 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

I shall always want my hair cut by a beautiful Thai lady.........  

I don't care what he/she looks like, when it's about my haircut. You might end up and look like...

Hairs.jpg

• Haha 1

In any other country if you get bad service or bad value-for-money you can tell people about it..... Not so in Thailand, where you must keep quiet or risk being sued for defamation.  

In foreign countries a business hopes and tries to give a GOOD service to get GOOD positive feedback (not so Thailand where they don't care because they can just sue/charge you with defamation)

With regard the hairdressers association of Chiang Mai, they have NOTHING to worry about if they are doing a GOOD job with a GOOD service at a GOOD value for money........   if not then they are simple frightened of proper, true and valued competition. 
Thailand is basically a business monopoly for the natives, scared stiff of any competition and years behind in accountability..... but this is not new information to foreigners living in Thailand. :cheesy:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

We'll settle for crappy and overpriced wine, beer and liquor, but we want nice haircuts.

Lol..... I’m not sure that a Burmese hairdresser, working for less money, will give  a better haircut (I’m pretty sure you’ll not be getting a hairdresser from headmasters of soho.)

If you do your work well, one doesn't need to be afraid of competition.

As example for goods not services. I think there is no higher import tax for Chinese made cars to Germany therefore they are dirt cheap. But the quality was or mostly still is so crappy that no one bothers to buy them.

Foreign competition  is good if the service of the cut is flawless, upto date in style....at a bargain price  !! 

If the prices are slashed with the serious competition between Thai and Farang service providers, this is excellent news for the consumers who are entitled to top level quality and service,  at a bargain price adapted to the local conditions and wages -     This is a consumer's right,  so spare us the "you get what you pay" rubbish.

On the other hand, some farang entrepreneurs think no end of themselves and try to offer food, services or goods,  at prices similar to those in western countries. Usually such jerks don't last long in business in Thailand.

Edited by observer90210

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

10 million baht is not much.  

Seriously?  :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You must have a very rich daddy.  Most of the young entrepreneurs with ambition, talent, and an idea don't, they hope to start small and grow big.

On 5/3/2018 at 6:48 AM, snoop1130 said:

around 50 hairdressing entrepreneurs

The quote above is taken directly from the CityNews article at the top.  How do they define "entrepreneur"?  Usually, it is used for a person who organises and/or operates a business or businesses and taking on greater than normal financial risks to do so.  How can these people be classified as such because their outlay is not a great deal, in fact, most of my experiences in Bangkok and beyond have not been in expensive, well set up places.  Rather a lot of them are run down and grubby looking as if the "owner/operator" known virtually nothing about cleanliness and hygiene.  I have only been to one location that could be construed as clean and meeting any health standards and that was because the owner, a female, got her training in Bristol in the U.K.  Just curious.

• Sad 1