Sky Train

NE1

Does anybody know how far West the sky train has reached , the maps I look at are a few years old and give the last station as Bang Wa , but I also read that stations nearer to Nakhon Pathom would be finished by 2017/18.

Thanks , I live West of Bangkok and I was looking for somewhere to park my vehicle and get the skytrain into Bangkok , quicker than driving and looking for a parking space in town and there is a skytrain stop right outside where I want to be .

If they are going to extend it, they need to either put an extra carriage on, or run more trains. The crowding has gone beyond all reason.

On a more positive note, I see they have installed lifts to the platform, but I don't know if they go from ground level.

Whatever, the management need a swift kick up the *** to sort the overcrowding.

I'm glad I don't live in BKK anymore but have a lot of sympathy for the thousands who fight every day to get a ride into work. The BTS system map in the carriages shows EIGHT more stations coming online this year in the extreme south/east end beyond Sam Rong. Oh my! Anyone know if they are awaiting more carriages?

In the early evening recently, the arriving train was so crowded on the inbound side at Thong Lor, I had to wait for another train, first time that's ever happened. Every time I visit Bangkok, the BTS and MRT seem to be more and more crowded. I just noticed today they've removed MRT seats to get more people in the cars. 

I'm glad I don't live in BKK anymore but have a lot of sympathy for the thousands who fight every day to get a ride into work. The BTS system map in the carriages shows EIGHT more stations coming online this year in the extreme south/east end beyond Sam Rong. Oh my! Anyone know if they are awaiting more carriages?

In the early evening recently, the arriving train was so crowded on the inbound side at Thong Lor, I had to wait for another train, first time that's ever happened. Every time I visit Bangkok, the BTS and MRT seem to be more and more crowded. I just noticed today they've removed MRT seats to get more people in the cars. 
I commute from Phra Khanong every day. It's common to have to wait for 3-4 trains before you can squeeze on. I've taken to travelling the other way to Samrong and then staying on the virtually empty train as it goes back in the opposite direction.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On May 5, 2561 BE at 3:42 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

If they are going to extend it, they need to either put an extra carriage on, or run more trains. The crowding has gone beyond all reason.

On a more positive note, I see they have installed lifts to the platform, but I don't know if they go from ground level.

Whatever, the management need a swift kick up the *** to sort the overcrowding.

Have you ever used mass transport in any other another major city? I have worked here for ten years and can count on one hand the amount of times i have not got in the first train that comes. What do you expect a carriage each?

20 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Have you ever used mass transport in any other another major city? I have worked here for ten years and can count on one hand the amount of times i have not got in the first train that comes. What do you expect a carriage each?

Correct. London underground is exactly the same at peak times. AND no air con 

Just now, DDBKK said:

Wrong, London is much worse, as is Tokyo. You can wait for multiple trains on a near daily basis. Moscow is not much better.

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Wrong, London is much worse, as is Tokyo. You can wait for multiple trains on a near daily basis. Moscow is not much better.

Wrong, Sydney is by far the world's worst. Oh wait what are we discussing again? 

On 05/05/2018 at 4:04 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Anyone know if they are awaiting more carriages?

Yes, there are new trains arriving "soon" (before the E15-E23 section opens in December) and a new depot at the far end of the line.

The extension north of Mo Chit will also get more trains and another new depot.

There are currently no plans to lengthen the trains above 4 cars.

the extension westbound, looks like in-the-SKY, but is not, its the MRT-going straight east and then dives under the river and under old town and under Chinatown to connect with MRT at Hualampong station. It starts from the crossing with the western ring road near the MALL Bang Khae and thats it for now-of course building the underground takes much longer as inthesky, but its all on schedule for opening late 2Ö19/early2O2O

There are plans to extend the BTS (known as skytrain) west from bangWa, but that for now just dreams and the land there is mostly still empty, so not much use for heavy rail transportation-but a boon for property developers

On 07/05/2018 at 7:46 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, the BTS is far less crowded, and much more reliable, more comfortable, and cleaner than the London Underground.

chalk and chees; the london underground is around 249 miles long serving about 270 stations - when the bts/mrt is that extensive lets have a comparison.

i'm not sure when you last used the london underground but i have lived in london and work there every year i can assure you the tube is extremely reliable, efficient and comfortable. sure it is busy in the rush hour but as anyone who has lived and worked in a major city knows it's the same the world over.

chalk and chees; the london underground is around 249 miles long serving about 270 stations - when the bts/mrt is that extensive lets have a comparison.

i'm not sure when you last used the london underground but i have lived in london and work there every year i can assure you the tube is extremely reliable, efficient and comfortable. sure it is busy in the rush hour but as anyone who has lived and worked in a major city knows it's the same the world over.
Admittedly I haven't lived in London since 2005. I did live and work there, commuting on the Northern and Victoria Lines, from 1985 to 2005, so I'm pleased to hear It's improved.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, DDBKK said:

Difference between skytrain and the Tube- the Tube has as many carriages as will fit the platform and they run frequently at peak times.

Skytrain could fit another carriage on and they never seem to run frequent trains, whatever the overcrowding.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Admittedly I haven't lived in London since 2005. I did live and work there, commuting on the Northern and Victoria Lines, from 1985 to 2005, so I'm pleased to hear It's improved.

I was using the Tube last week, and it hasn't improved since at least 2010. I lived in London from 2000 to 2009 and it didn't improve during that time.

I'm not saying it isn't a good service, as it is. It just hasn't improved beyond what it was.

The problem is that there are just too many people wanting to use it, and I don't see how they can increase frequency or add more carriages.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was using the Tube last week, and it hasn't improved since at least 2010. I lived in London from 2000 to 2009 and it didn't improve during that time.

I'm not saying it isn't a good service, as it is. It just hasn't improved beyond what it was.

The problem is that there are just too many people wanting to use it, and I don't see how they can increase frequency or add more carriages.

That's pretty bad considering how much the tube costs.  NYC's subway has similar problems and you could eat off the tube platforms compared to the New York ones but at least it's only $2.75 for a ride anywhere in the 5 boroughs with a free transfer to a bus.

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Difference between skytrain and the Tube- the Tube has as many carriages as will fit the platform and they run frequently at peak times.

Skytrain could fit another carriage on and they never seem to run frequent trains, whatever the overcrowding.

There train times are clearly stated on the platforms. At peak times they are i believe every 2min 20 on the Sukhumvit line. I am sure they could make them every 2 minutes if it demanded it but as i have said numerous times, they are quite clearly not 'too crowded'.

Yes they are crowded at peak times but it is unusual not to get on the first train. So where is the problem? What is your problem with the BTS? Its quite clearly not overcrowded when compared to its global peers, the trains are frequent as stated on the platforms, so what exactly is the issue with it? You just want something to whinge about?

Anyone who complains about the BTS has no clue.

Probably never traveled much.

I think it is one of the top systems in the world for a major city. Probably the coolest place in the city the aircon is strong and cool.

Funny, I have never had to wait except for one time for a train at Siam.

BTS is a fantastic way to get around sure beats a taxi traffic jam.

The only way to increase frequency is to add trains, and that costs quite a bit. I think the money is better spent expanding the infrastructure.

Comparing the NY & London systems to Bangkok, is not a fair comparison.

NY trains started running almost 150 years ago...

Archived