UK NHS Surchage

On 03/05/2018 at 6:21 PM, 7by7 said:

From the press release dated 5th Feb Health charge for temporary migrants will increase to £400 a year

Watch this space, and get that FLR application in ASAP.

Many thanks 7by7....good news.

I will be sending the application off last week of June. You don't happen to know if you are submitting your application by post is there a time limit on how early you can pay the surcharge? I. E could I pay the surcharge a month before the application. 

From Pay the Immigrattion Health Surcharge

If you’re making an immigration application online you pay the healthcare surcharge as part of the application process. You must complete the payment and return to the online immigration application in less than 30 minutes.

If you’re making an immigration application at a premium service centre, you pay the surcharge when you book an appointment.

If you’re making an immigration application by post you must pay the healthcare surcharge before you complete your application

But it doesn't say how far in advance you can pay if applying by post.

Wow... I've been out of the loop for a while, just found out about this increase.  I can understand 'an' increase, nature of things, prices go up yadda yadda but double?!  So initial spouse visa would now be touching 3 grand!  (O.o)

Immigration Minister Caroline Nokes said:
It is only right that people who come to the UK should contribute to the running of the NHS. The surcharge offers access to health care services that are far more comprehensive and at a much lower cost than many other countries.

...and yeah, I understand this but the majority of immigrants are working and paying taxes and contributing to the NHS!  Sheesh!

I see there's a petition to parliament about this - doesn't look like it's gained much traction looking at the numbers but for those that might be interested in signing up it's here.  (Deadline is 12 Aug 2018)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/212023

The NHS needs, among other things, more money but IMHO this is not the way to do it, and frankly the money they hope to raise by doing so is a drop in the ocean.  Raise my taxes and fix the NHS - I'll gladly pay!  But for the migrants working and already paying in to the system this is entirely unfair.  A good number of my work colleagues are non EU nationals - one chap was stunned after working out the next round of visas will cost him near 8 grand for him, his wife and child.

20 hours ago, globalThailand said:

I see there's a petition to parliament about this - doesn't look like it's gained much traction looking at the numbers but for those that might be interested in signing up it's here.  (Deadline is 12 Aug 2018)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/212023

The NHS needs, among other things, more money but IMHO this is not the way to do it, and frankly the money they hope to raise by doing so is a drop in the ocean.  Raise my taxes and fix the NHS - I'll gladly pay!  But for the migrants working and already paying in to the system this is entirely unfair.  A good number of my work colleagues are non EU nationals - one chap was stunned after working out the next round of visas will cost him near 8 grand for him, his wife and child.

The message is clear, Britain is closed and our prosperity will suffer in the coming decades unless we change our attitude.

I've just signed the petition.

I already pay over £35k/year income tax/NI, plus have private health insurance for myself and my wife (who also pays income tax and NI, doing a job that's under-subscribed).

For me the charges are annoying, but I realise there are families who can just about manage to pay their way if they're not hit with these enormous visa and NHS charges. I'm surprised they haven't raised the minimum income requirements to factor in the high cost of immigration, which must be averaging over £1,000 year now for the five year period. That's a big chunk of the c. £16,000 net salary of someone who just meets the minimum requirements.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, the NHS part of the charge does seem related to a real cost to the state and benefit to the migrant (albeit without solving the double charging issue, or triple charging for anyone with private cover). The bigger issue is the outlandish visa/FLR/ILR processing fees. If they charged £400 for NHS but halved the cost of the main fee, it wouldn't be so bad overall IMHO.

Archived