Colonoscopy.......anaesthesia or not?

cheeryble

Hi

a friend went for a colonoscopy in UK with no anaesthetic.

It turned out to be so uncomfortable he went in a second time WITH anaesthetic.

At my age I should have a colonoscopy, better late than never. Surprised my hospital hasn't suggested it though they may have blood marker checks. No symptoms. Stools normal not dark.

1. Are there good reasons to avoid anaesthetic if possible as some say? (age 69, early Parkinson's, generally healthy tho had a episode of A Fib.)

2. Someone mentioned if one doesn't have anaesthetic they can't go high enough up the colon........true or fake news?

I'd be very happy to just get a reply from Sheryl it's pretty straightforward doesn't need a big conversation :)

Thanks

Edited by cheeryble

I had a colonoscopy about 10 years ago ( traces of blood in stool sample, turned out okay ), had a sedative instead of anaesthetic and slept through it, just stayed awake enough to see the doctor show me the camera and i drifted off.

Sorry it's not answering your question but maybe another option ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I had a colonoscopy about 10 years ago ( traces of blood in stool sample, turned out okay ), had a sedative instead of anaesthetic and slept through it, just stayed awake enough to see the doctor show me the camera and i drifted off.

Sorry it's not answering your question but maybe another option ?

I've had the sedative one a few times in NZ and it is great and I highly recommend it......the same experience as Andrew.

• Like 1

I'd both,no nerve ending in gut,no pain,but u feel like farting plenty as camera goes up,cam finds a polyp ,grabber comes out ,like elastic, pulls it until it breaks off,splash of blood on lens. I get both ends done same x  so need knocking out.     Looking at air fare of $115 where its done for 500 baht,about 1200 baht for down the gullet

• Like 1

It's my understanding that what they commonly use is a sedative and amnesiac given via an IV not anesthesia administered via a mask like they would for full-on, cut-you open surgery.  At least that's what they did for me the two times I've had a colonoscopy -- just some happy juice thru an IV.  That is the most pleasant part of the procedure.  That and the nice happy feeling for the rest of the day.  Maybe it's the effect of the happy juice or maybe it's just knowing the whole thing is over and you can go eat a nice, big meal.

I did have a sigmoidoscopy (it's like a junior colonoscopy) without any happy juice and wondered why the nurse was clutching my hand as the doctor started the procedure.  I soon found out when the scope hit the first bend in my colon.  The pain and cramping was so immense that the doctor couldn't get the scope around that first bend.  Even with me lying still, he said it was cramping so much much that he couldn't maneuver the scope.  I can't imagine having a colonoscopy without some happy juice.  

• Like 2

I've had 3 over the past two decades (precautionary). For the first two I was given a mild sedative, administered orally. I watched the entire proceedings on the screen. Not for the faint-hearted. There was some discomfort but it was tolerable. For the third, here in Malaysia, the sedative, also given orally, knocked me out. I prefer the former.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, altcar bob said:

I'd both,no nerve ending in gut,no pain,but u feel like farting plenty as camera goes up,cam finds a polyp ,grabber comes out ,like elastic, pulls it until it breaks off,splash of blood on lens. I get both ends done same x  so need knocking out.     Looking at air fare of $115 where its done for 500 baht,about 1200 baht for down the gullet

I seem to recall some other posts of yours like this, and not expensive, so would you mind telling me (us) a little more about it...……...not the procedure, but where, how, rating etc. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I seem to recall some other posts of yours like this, and not expensive, so would you mind telling me (us) a little more about it...……...not the procedure, but where, how, rating etc. Thanks.

Go to medifee...then find colonoscopy, Calcutta best bet as only two hours away,..then find hospital doing it,  one there 500baht  others a bit dearer about 700....then Air Asia   flight quoted 1 July for about 5 to 6 days $115  return..  Skin  cancer,  ..heart echo stress tested,all cheap......I might go but want to go the other side,know it better and ordering glasses shirts etc  

1 July  (was there couple of days ago)      In that time you can get all sorts done that you want     Can google (ratings) etc for individual hospitals,doctors )      Just had a look  cheapest 400 baht  (prices quoted are rupee  so less than half price )...most now in 1000 baht

Edited by altcar bob
  • Like 1

Had mine done when I was living in the US. The doctor used Propofol (yeah the stuff that Michael Jackson died from) and it was great. No pain, just a very pleasant nap and quick recovery. I was walking around NYC with my friend less than an hour after the procedure. Felt groggy the rest of the day, so I wouldn't drive or do anything strenuous.

As everyone says, the worst part of the colonoscopy is the prep and there's no way around that.

• Like 1

Had mine done when I was living in the US. The doctor used Propofol (yeah the stuff that Michael Jackson died from) and it was great. No pain, just a very pleasant nap and quick recovery. I was walking around NYC with my friend less than an hour after the procedure. Felt groggy the rest of the day, so I wouldn't drive or do anything strenuous.
As everyone says, the worst part of the colonoscopy is the prep and there's no way around that.

Yes, I’d forgotten about the “ clean out “ procedure, not pleasant !!
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, altcar bob said:

Go to medifee...then find colonoscopy, Calcutta best bet as only two hours away,..then find hospital doing it,  one there 500baht  others a bit dearer about 700....then Air Asia   flight quoted 1 July for about 5 to 6 days $115  return..  Skin  cancer,  ..heart echo stress tested,all cheap......I might go but want to go the other side,know it better and ordering glasses shirts etc  

1 July  (was there couple of days ago)      In that time you can get all sorts done that you want     Can google (ratings) etc for individual hospitals,doctors )      Just had a look  cheapest 400 baht  (prices quoted are rupee  so less than half price )...most now in 1000 baht

Thanks for the info.

I don't find Calcutta on the list of places......are they using another name for it now?

I had a colonoscopy in Jeddah about 10 years ago with just a muscle relaxant and I was awake and watching the monitor as the endoscope glided along, no discomfort at all...a polyp was discovered and excised with the inserted tools as I watched, sent to the lab for analysis...private hospital with a sudanese doctor...lotsa laxatives and an enema beforehand with a young nurse in a hijab...she was nervous and her filipina supervisor had to assist...

afterwards I was given a videotape and I was able to walk home as my accommodation was close by...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Thanks for the info.

I don't find Calcutta on the list of places......are they using another name for it now?

Called Kolkuta now,or similar name,getting away from English names.  No need to go for high end hospitals,they are extremely high end,far higher than Thailand's,. The preparation is nothing,just take one,about 4pm day before another,about midnight before your day dawns,perfectly clean pipes,its cheap in pharmacy there,so is everything else there   giant bottle Dettol,500 baht Thailand 50 baht there     Not much to do there in Calcutta  few places to visit,modern city

• Like 1

Just now, simoh1490 said:

A British mate in Phuket had a colonoscopy without sedation, a big man and a rugby player, he said it was the most painful experience of his life.

If you are expecting pain,obviously you will get it,its uncomfortable,feel like farting throughout the procedure,if I wasn't having down the throat at same time Id go without sedation

• Like 1

I had (about 7 or 8) periodic colonoscopies over the last 25 years. The first 6 or 7 were without anaesthesia. There was some discomfort and mild stress, but no pain as such. More recently worsening diverticulitis  has raised the level of pain so that I chose to resort to anaesthesia. 

• Like 1