What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Next one to see John Wick.

I liked it quite a bit.

Excellent cast: Alfie Allen, Dean Winters, Willem Dafoe, Adrianne Palicki, John Leguizamo, Ian McShane, Lance Reddick, Clark Peters (these last two should be familiar to fans of The Wire)

Significant body count ~ 84, mostly head-shots. No Russians left in NYC.

Are you sure about that body count? I was guessing more like 500. I liked the first half hour, but - IMO - it got more and more ridiculous after that. It got a really high rating on IMDb though, so don't take my word for it.

• Like 1

The Crossover was really good!! Even though the subject matter was sick. Haven't seen one since all the CSI guys got together a few years ago.

Has Hawaii Five 0 finished? Must have a google.

The Fall second season has started out quite well.

The movie The Guest was one i was looking forward to - total crap.

I really liked the Hundred Foot Journey - nice, feel good film.

I thought the same about 5.0 patsy, a quick IMDB revealed it was the 100th episode, hence the flashbacks, there's another episode next week which appears to be the season finalé...

Enjoyed crossover week as well... Though SVU is starting to die with Benson in charge...

Sons of Anarchy, wow, going back to its roots! Awesome! Guest appearances by Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love are interesting, didn't recognise Manson at first..

• Like 1

Next one to see John Wick.

I liked it quite a bit.

Excellent cast: Alfie Allen, Dean Winters, Willem Dafoe, Adrianne Palicki, John Leguizamo, Ian McShane, Lance Reddick, Clark Peters (these last two should be familiar to fans of The Wire)

Significant body count ~ 84, mostly head-shots. No Russians left in NYC.

Are you sure about that body count? I was guessing more like 500. I liked the first half hour, but - IMO - it got more and more ridiculous after that. It got a really high rating on IMDb though, so don't take my word for it.

Action action action. It was like a video game at times.

unsurprisingly....

As part of a cross-promotion deal with Overkill Software, John Wick was added as a playable character for the video game Payday 2 as well as a promotional offer from Fandango that offered people who bought tickets online at select theaters a copy of the game through the digital video game serviceSteam. Also added to the game were Wick's signature weapons from the film, along with a perk tree that allows players to dual-wield certain firearms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wick_(film)

• Like 1

Some Reality Shows

Preachers of LA.

Follows a number of preachers based in LA. Well, plenty of mention of God here as you would expect. Follows the lives of ‘celebrity’ preachers based in LA. Not too many of these preachers are short of a buck it seems, the work of the Lord is a profitable business.

Watchable and forgettable. 5/10

Worst Thing I Ever Did

A true confession/crime series. People confess ‘the worst thing I ever did’. They confess to the person they did the injustice to. 20 minute episodes. The person they confess to does not know what the confession will be about. At least that is how the show portrays it but I don’t think that is the case at all. The reactions seem rehearsed. Detective Bookman has been on the google machine and Ep1 of this show finds the characters as being a well known Dr Phil show ‘guest’, with a different scenario being portrayed and a 180 degrees different spin regarding the woman. It is kind of laughable.

0/10. Don’t bother

Nowhere to Hide

True Crime series based on the cases of private investigator Steve Ramban. Stories re-told by a combination of narration from Steve Ramban and also by recreation of the events by actors and actual interviews and commentary by the people involved.

This is not a True crime murder series, rather it is about scam artists and criminals.Ramban talks a bit too much, esp about himself, but I like the seires. 40 minute episodes.

Dating Naked

Another narcisstic reality show showcasing the below average that society has to offer. Conversation so banal that it must be scripted. Are these contestants in their twenties or are they fifteen?

We have 3 guys and 3 girls dating. The difference is. They date NAKED. What could be interesting is dull and boring.

One of the lead men has tattoos over his body. A couple of the ones that proclaim his individuality are “Fallen Angel” and 'Live Love Death”

Such contestants named as ‘Justice’ and ‘Wee Wee’ ‘Jasmine’ ‘appear in the first epidose. The stunner in the first episode though is the Israeli chick Jasmine. . Whoa! Super hot! Apparently though she HAS to be chased, though watching this episode it doesn’t seem that way. I am sure a Porsche or a sizeable bank balance will win her over.

Will the contestants find TRUE LOVE in just one day? They seem to think so. Unfortunately all the private parts , top and bottom are pixelated.

Extreme Guide To Parenting

What a bunch of nut-bag parents they have on this show. I feel stressed just watching them. I found it difficult to believe this is a realty show but almost certainly a confected style of semi-scripted reality. Maybe it is just confirmation the Western world is developing a generation of children who do not recognise the term ‘no’?

A google search of some of the particpants see them pop up on other shows seeking ever more publicity. Don’t bother. 0/10

Lizard Lick towing

Another supposed reality show. Nothing of the sort. A poorly acted and scripted reality style show. Boring. 1/10

Container Wars

Groups of people bid on the unseen contents of unclaimed containers. Nonsense made for TV. 1/10

Resort Rescue.

Bar Rescue

Hotel Impossible

Makeover style reality shows. They follow a well worn path of the type we have seen before. They are more gentle than some with Hotel Impossible and Resort rescue almost identical. Easy enough to watch and enjoy.

• Like 1

The 100 foot journey

Enjoyed it, worthwhile just for the food and French countryside shots.

(I want an Indian curry, and I want it now!)

Reminded me of Chocolat and Amelie.

Good comparison and two of my favorite movies.

100 foot journey is a beautiful and charming love story that will bring a tear to the eye.

OK Reality Shows, the ones i don't mention on this high brow thread!!

Married at First Sight - about couples who get together without ever meeting.

Million Dollar Listings - real estate show, the houses are to die for.

ALL of the Real Housewives ones - i just love em

Dr Phil - ok till he starts bible bashing.

Jeremy Kyle - this goes with the coffee thread, sort of wakes me up to the fact that there are some fat, toothless people in the UK, who seem to give birth at the age of 16. Thank god i don't live there.

Wife Swap - All over the world series, where wives swop lifestyles - hilarious.

And there are more....

So, now you know why i haven't ever watched Breaking Bad!!! My secret is out!!

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 2

I have just finished season 1 of a fantastic cop show called Braquo.

JFYI, It is French so does have subtitles.

It reminds me a lot of one of my favourites, The Shield.

I rate this one highly, recommended.

IMDB: Four police officers have their lives turned upside down when their colleague, Max, committed suicide, following a case in which he is unfairly blamed. They then cross the "yellow line", not hesitating to circumvent the law to achieve their purposes in order to wash the honor of their friend Max.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1429534/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

Worst Reality Show Ever?

I vote for "Cheaters", with your host, Joey Del Greco. The setup: someone, almost always a woman, writes or calls Joey's crew, telling them that she suspects her partner (often guys who work at a tire shop) is cheating on her. So Joey & Co. start following the target around, and yes, they're cheating, all right. Comes the moment of truth...Joey shows the lady the incriminating evidence. Shots of the bad boy and his paramour slippin' and slidin', peepin' and hidin', all over town. Then Joey gets a phone call. The cad is out in some darkened strip mall parking lot in a car with The Other Woman, just about to get some Sexual Healing.

They race over to the lot, blocking the car in, and Joey and the camera man and the cheated-on GF for a big confrontation. Lots of action ensues, and we're almost in Jerry Springer Land, with a girl fight. Alas, they break it up. However, there is often a tender make-up scene, in the back of Joey's van. "Aw Baby, she ain't nothin' to me. You're the One!"

And she buys it!

A Very Good Reality Series (a few years back):

Holmes on Homes. Canadian remodeler and all around good guy Mike Holmes, goes to people's badly remodeled homes and corrects the mess that some jackleg has made. A typical Mike line: "Aw, this is terrible. How can they do this to a family? It's all comin' out!"

Mike's subcontractors are the best in Toronto. The electrical guy lays out new panels that are stunning works of art. Ditto the plumber.

I think sudden fame and huge popularity put a lot of pressure on Mike. he dropped the contracting side, and concentrated on very exacting home inspections. Not as interesting, visually and emotionally. Haven't seen him on TV for quite a while.

Just watched a great indie film, starring Kirsten Stewart, called "Camp X-Ray". She plays a US Army private, assigned to guard duty at Guantanamo Bay. The "detainees" are all Muslims, rounded up from everywhere. The word "prisoner", or "inmate" are forbidden, as a "prisoner" would have rights under the Geneva Convention.

No matter where you stand on the "Global War on Terror", this film will mess with your mind.

9/10

• Like 2

Movie - St. Vincent

IMDB: A young boy whose parents have just divorced finds an unlikely friend and mentor
in the misanthropic, bawdy, hedonistic war veteran who lives next door.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2170593/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Saw this one recently gang and enjoyed it.
Bill Murray is just superb as the grumpy next door neighbor.
Reminds me a bit of Clint Eastwood's character in Gran Torino.

Nothing too heavy, just a decent feel good movie methinks.

• Like 2

Surprised this hasn't rated a mention earlier given it's build up...

State of Affairs starring the affable Kathrine Heigl... A bit like the prequal to (another season favorite of mine) Madam Secretary...

Also keeping with the "Spy" theme, I'm a bit over halfway through A Most Wanted Man with Philip Seymour Hoffman (whom, I'll be honest, I never really liked but he's quite good in this film so far) as a BND agent in Germany. Looking forward to finishing the rest of it tonight...

• Like 2

TV Series - Salamander

Gangsters,

I've only watched episode 1 of this 12 part BBC series from Belgium, but it's really
promising so far.

JFYI, this one has subtitles.

Overview: Brussels / Belgium. Sixty-six safes are robbed during a spectacular and bloody
raid on the small but influential and extremely discreet private bank, Jonkhere, in Brussels.
The owners of those safes form a select club of powerful people in Belgium. The bank s clients
hold high-level positions in industry, finance, the military, the magistracy, politics, unions.
Strangely enough, only the safes belonging to these powerful people were hit, and while the
perpetrators took no money, they did take documents.

• Like 1

Not sure how many here are fans of straight-to-DVD movies where the focus is on a psycho mass murderer who just happens to nail a few of the realities of the last 20-30 years of capitalism, at least IMO. Rampage: Capital Punishment isn't the most enjoyable movie to sit through, but this monologue is memorable even if the central character's actions are in complete contrast to his stated ideals. Completely agree with the comment on the YT page that they undid a superbly written and acted scene by choosing to play the 'batshit crazy' card at the end of the movie, but he was very lucid when he put this together.

On sunday a three part supernatural thriller is starting on British tv ,with Michael Palin in the lead called remember me , should be good and i am sure will be available on monday via the pirates playground.

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 1

See that, even the word Supernatural, just gives me the heeby jeebs.

When are the good, normal things going to happen? I watch all those US series. but at least they don't have monsters or we live in the underground sort of things going on.

Christmas shall be on us before long - my favourite is - Bad Santa.

• Like 1

TV Series - Salamander

Gangsters,

I've only watched episode 1 of this 12 part BBC series from Belgium, but it's really

promising so far.

Overview: Brussels / Belgium. Sixty-six safes are robbed during a spectacular and bloody

raid on the small but influential and extremely discreet private bank, Jonkhere, in Brussels.

The owners of those safes form a select club of powerful people in Belgium. The bank s clients

hold high-level positions in industry, finance, the military, the magistracy, politics, unions.

Strangely enough, only the safes belonging to these powerful people were hit, and while the

Is it in French, i can do french even Belgian french.

TV Series - Salamander

Gangsters,

promising so far.

Is it in French, i can do french even Belgian french.

Yep, pretty sure it's French with Eng subs.

• Like 1

I have just finished season 1 of a fantastic cop show called Braquo.

JFYI, It is French so does have subtitles.

It reminds me a lot of one of my favourites, The Shield.

I rate this one highly, recommended.

IMDB: Four police officers have their lives turned upside down when their colleague, Max, committed suicide, following a case in which he is unfairly blamed. They then cross the "yellow line", not hesitating to circumvent the law to achieve their purposes in order to wash the honor of their friend Max.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1429534/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

I am a few episodes in. Great series.

Surprised this hasn't rated a mention earlier given it's build up...

State of Affairs starring the affable Kathrine Heigl... A bit like the prequal to (another season favorite of mine) Madam Secretary...

Also keeping with the "Spy" theme, I'm a bit over halfway through A Most Wanted Man with Philip Seymour Hoffman (whom, I'll be honest, I never really liked but he's quite good in this film so far) as a BND agent in Germany. Looking forward to finishing the rest of it tonight...

I'm a bit hot and cold on Phil too, but he did a terrific performance in this film. Might be enough to move him into warm territory

• Like 1

TV Series - Salamander

Gangsters,

promising so far.

You are on fire KhunWill, with these recommendations.

I have watched two episodes of this one also.

The only issue with sub titles is I cannot watch it in the background of a half/half on the computer. Have to watch it for the subtitles to understand what is going on.

Also, cannot speak French/Belgian like Patsycattongue.png

• Like 1