What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Just watched Turner,with Timothy Spalding ,about the artist Turner,surprisingly good 2.5 hours long

Yeah been trying to force myself to watch it for ages, my prob is with

spalding 2 me he's a fat over rated prick and unfortunatly i dont seem to b able to get my self past that!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks. I really did love the characters and that makes a show for me. I would have to figure out where I left off though.

What i did for Greys Anatomy and also Dexter. Was i went onto the IMBD website, they have the Seasons and episodes. In years and dates. The episodes are explained in about four lines.

I sort of remembered the last episode i had watched and worked from that.

It worked with Dexter, i started downloading a Season and realised i didn't know what was going on and realised i had missed a whole season.

Try it with Greys Anatomy.

• Like 2

Just watched Turner,with Timothy Spalding ,about the artist Turner,surprisingly good 2.5 hours long

Yeah been trying to force myself to watch it for ages, my prob is with

spalding 2 me he's a fat over rated prick and unfortunatly i dont seem to b able to get my self past that!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But he really likes you,LOL

I enjoy it as well, but I'm glad that I had finished Season One by the time I read this.

Here's a spoiler: Monica is even hotter in Season Two.

Silicon Valley is Back!

Season 2 is on now, and some new cast members and situations are making this show funnier than ever. I have to hit pause a lot when I'm watching this just to have an uncontrollable laughing fit. Then roll it back to hear it again. Venture Capitalist Peter Gregory has passed away, and the lady who takes his place is even more painfully up tight than he was. Guilfoyle and Dinesh are still ranking on each other all day long, and now Dinesh's cousin comes on the scene, with his Kickstarter-funded "Killer App", called "Bro."

Might not be everybody's cuppa tea, but it's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen, as it lampoons the whole "Digital Age," and all of the would-be high flyers, trying to cash in.

TEN, and Super Bro's all around!

• Like 1

I enjoy it as well, but I'm glad that I had finished Season One by the time I read this.

Here's a spoiler: Monica is even hotter in Season Two.

Silicon Valley is Back!

Season 2 is on now, and some new cast members and situations are making this show funnier than ever. I have to hit pause a lot when I'm watching this just to have an uncontrollable laughing fit. Then roll it back to hear it again. Venture Capitalist Peter Gregory has passed away, and the lady who takes his place is even more painfully up tight than he was. Guilfoyle and Dinesh are still ranking on each other all day long, and now Dinesh's cousin comes on the scene, with his Kickstarter-funded "Killer App", called "Bro."

Might not be everybody's cuppa tea, but it's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen, as it lampoons the whole "Digital Age," and all of the would-be high flyers, trying to cash in.

TEN, and Super Bro's all around!

That's a high quality spoiler. Totally acceptable!

smile.png

I was pleasantly surprised to read that American Crime was renewed for a second season (still one more episode to go in season 1).

Compared to many other crime shows I think this one is clearly above average. And while most of the time it seemed rather unimportant who actually committed the murder I am now slowly starting to wonder...

Looking forward to the next season.

Edited by jope
  • Like 2

Plugged in a couple of movies last night...

Mordecai: Pretty heavy celebrity filled movie... Stupid funny... Worthwhile watching if you need a dose of stupid...

Cymbeline: Spoiler alert - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.. Either downloading it or watching it... Nothing more painful than watching Ethan Hawke and it's twice as bad when you are subjected to him speaking Shakespeare... IMDB had it at 4.3, I would be generous giving it a .3 let a lone 4 of anything... Right up there with the likes of Kevin Costner's bad movie choices.... Worst movie I've watched in a loooooooooong time...

• Like 2

King Rat (1965)

I had seen only a few scenes from this all time classic over the years, so was glad to find it available at the usual outlet. It's not a war movie, not a prison movie, it's...very hard to categorize. For those who are unfamiliar with it, it is the film adaptation of James Clavell's first novel, which was published to worldwide acclaim in 1962. It is based on Clavell's experience of four long years as a POW in Changi Prison, Singapore.

It's a very disturbing portrayal of thousands of men crammed together in a hellhole, and the things they do to survive. Certain personalities seem to thrive and make more than the best of the appalling conditions, while other men die a little more every day. George Segal is 100% all there as "The King", a lowly corporal and small time hustler who rises to the top of the heap, running a crew that caters to his every scheme. James Fox plays a naive young British officer who gets drawn into the King's world. Tom Courtenay is the camp MP boss, mis-using his position as cop to pursue his own version of class struggle.

Unlike Stalag 17 and The Great Escape, there is very little in the way of humor to lighten the mood of this film. It is more similar to Bridge over the River Kwai, but even more grim. I recommend this film and novel wholeheartedly, as well as checking out online references about Changi and other Japanese POW camps.

TEN, with thanks and reverent remembrance for all who endured.

Some good news and some bad news, depending on your point of view.

First the Good news. One of the worst series ever made, The Following, has been cancelled.

Other cancellations are:

State of Affairs starring Katherine Heigl is no more, ending its run at 13 episodes. The series, which ended last week in Australia, finished in the US with 4.5 million viewers and disappointing reviews.

Dylan McDermott loses yet another series as Stalker is cut down by CBS. The Kevin Williamson drama finishes with a 20 episode run.

In a double blow for Williamson, his other crime series The Following was also axed after 3 seasons. The Kevin Bacon series wraps with 45 episodes. While it still pulls 5.5 million viewers including Timeshifted, same-day showings have dwindled.

Also axed were Backstrom, About a Boy, Marry Me, One Big Happy, Constantine and Battle Creek by Vince Gilligan.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2015/05/axed-the-following-state-of-affairs-stalker.html

• Like 2

Citizen Kane (1941)

This film has become almost a cliche, in that it always gets rated in the top ten of "Greatest Films of All Time." I saw it again last week, in a very sharp and crisp online print, and it continues to impress me as much as the first time I saw it, many years ago. This month marks the 100th birthday of Orson Welles, a man as legendary (and ego-driven) as his fictional character, the newspaper mogul, Charles Foster Kane.

It's amazing that Welles was able to get away with making this film, so radically different than anything current in those days. Somehow, he got the RKO studio to let him do the project in his own way, using his unknown Mercury Theater crew of actors. And he had never made a film before, only radio and live theater.

I ran my favorite scene by three times, the one in which Kane is exposed as a philanderer by his political opponent, "Boss" Jim Gettys. He screams out at Gettys, raving about how "You can't take the love of the people of this state away from ME! I'm not some cheap crook! I'm CHARLES FOSTER KANE! I'll put you in Sing Sing!!"

TEN ++, and Happy Birthday, Orson Welles, a True Original. Rosebud....

Edited by Frank James

Citizen Kane (1941)

This film has become almost a cliche, in that it always gets rated in the top ten of "Greatest Films of All Time." I saw it again last week, in a very sharp and crisp online print, and it continues to impress me as much as the first time I saw it, many years ago. This month marks the 100th birthday of Orson Welles, a man as legendary (and ego-driven) as his fictional character, the newspaper mogul, Charles Foster Kane.

It's amazing that Welles was able to get away with making this film, so radically different than anything current in those days. Somehow, he got the RKO studio to let him do the project in his own way, using his unknown Mercury Theater crew of actors. And he had never made a film before, only radio and live theater.

I ran my favorite scene by three times, the one in which Kane is exposed as a philanderer by his political opponent, "Boss" Jim Gettys. He screams out at Gettys, raving about how "You can't take the love of the people of this state away from ME! I'm not some cheap crook! I'm CHARLES FOSTER KANE! I'll put you in Sing Sing!!"

I have tried to re watch citizen kane a couple of times over the past few years and i find it dated and difficult to watch now.

Wouldn't give it top ten rating

Citizen Kane (1941)

I have tried to re watch citizen kane a couple of times over the past few years and i find it dated and difficult to watch now.

Wouldn't give it top ten rating

Sorry for being impolite guys, but I never saw it until recently and though it was a piece of s**t. I was surprised, because it is usually held up as one of the best films of all time.

The special effects or camera angles might have been remarkable for the time when it came out, but I did not find it entertaining - the story was a bore - and I did not care much about the characters. There is no central plot, no central conflict for Kane. In short, I have no idea why it is held in such esteem. blink.png

BBC's 'The Game' is a cold war thriller set in 1972. The 2 episodes that I've seen so far arent bad...

Summary: In 1972, The head of MI5 (Brian Cox) sets up a secret committee that includes interrogator Joe Lambe (Tom Hughes), Bobby Waterhouse (Paul Ritter), detective Jim Fenchurch (Shaun Dooley) and secretary Wendy Straw (Chloe Pirrie), Sarah Montag (Victoria Hamilton), and her husband Alan (Jonathan Aris), to locate sleeper agents for the Soviets in this six-part British miniseries written by Toby Whithouse.

• Like 2

Watched the first episode of the British crime drama No Offense. Do not know what to make out of it. So far, I think it is just average.

A detective constable finds out that two missing girls who were found dead over some time may not have died by natural courses. Their deaths indicate a pattern. And so the hunt for the serial killer begins. The three main characters are female by the way.

Annoyingly, I have trouble adjusting to this kind of British accent (alright, that's probably just me). If I am really bored, I might watch the second episode.

• Like 2

I've just started watching ANZAC Girls and am hooked already after just one episode. Have downloaded three more, so may be in for a sleepless night!!

I like The Following. Rather sad that they have axed it. But suppose if someone asks me in about a year what it's about, i probably won't be able to tell them!!

• Like 2

BBC's 'The Game' is a cold war thriller set in 1972. The 2 episodes that I've seen so far arent bad...

Summary: In 1972, The head of MI5 (Brian Cox) sets up a secret committee that includes interrogator Joe Lambe (Tom Hughes), Bobby Waterhouse (Paul Ritter), detective Jim Fenchurch (Shaun Dooley) and secretary Wendy Straw (Chloe Pirrie), Sarah Montag (Victoria Hamilton), and her husband Alan (Jonathan Aris), to locate sleeper agents for the Soviets in this six-part British miniseries written by Toby Whithouse.

I liked it very much. I think, the 70s-cold war-atmosphere was caught rather well. And I was definitely surprised by the ending, did not see that coming.

It first aired on BBC America last year and I am still hoping for a second season. But no word from the BBC, yet. Maybe, after the show is completely broadcast in the UK.

• Like 1

A lot of people today are not in awe of Citizen Kane. They find it "old fashioned" and "dated." Fair enough. Disregarding all of the then-radical camera techniques: very deep focus, unusual angles, all of which can be dismissed as "tricks", it's always the story that counts, in the end. And I find this story to be heartbreakingly tragic, and very well told. A man of incredible wealth, trying to fill up his life with expensive "stuff", surrounded by sycophants, desperately seaching for love and acceptance, but unable to give love in return.

As for being "dated", ask yourself this: What films from the present era will still be watched, enjoyed, admired, discussed, seventy five years from now? Might make an interesting discussion here.

A lot of people today are not in awe of Citizen Kane. They find it "old fashioned" and "dated." Fair enough. Disregarding all of the then-radical camera techniques: very deep focus, unusual angles, all of which can be dismissed as "tricks", it's always the story that counts, in the end. And I find this story to be heartbreakingly tragic, and very well told. A man of incredible wealth, trying to fill up his life with expensive "stuff", surrounded by sycophants, desperately seaching for love and acceptance, but unable to give love in return.

As for being "dated", ask yourself this: What films from the present era will still be watched, enjoyed, admired, discussed, seventy five years from now? Might make an interesting discussion here.

Plus he wrote starred directed and produced it, adds overall to well's awe imo.

Apocalypse Now, Good Fellas and The Godfather. Citizen Kane came out when film-making was in it's infancy and I'm not sure how much further film making can go, other than special effects.

If I listen to Abbey Road now, most of the songs could be written today. Rock music has not progressed much since then. I could definitely be wrong, but I think that many of the great films after the early 1970s will remain timeless in the same way.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Apocalypse Now, Good Fellas and The Godfather. Citizen Kane came out when film-making was in it's infancy and I'm not sure how much further film making can go, other than special effects.

If I listen to Abbey Road now, most of the songs could be written today. Rock music has not progressed much since then. I could definitely be wrong, but I think that many of the great films after the early 1970s will remain timeless in the same way.

Good storytelling will be good story telling will be good storytelling will remain timeless.

Timeless classic films of the Modern/"Postmodern" era?

I agree about the Godfather series (even part 3!). I've lost count how many times I've watched those. Goodfellas...a personal favorite, but if we're considering Scorsese, I think Raging Bull is his best. As for Stanley Kubrick, I nominate Barry Lyndon, a critical and box office flop, as a great film. Every frame is like a painting. Having Ryan O'Neal in the leading role was a BIG MISTAKE, but it's still a masterpiece (IMHO, of course.)

The Shawshank Redemption has turned into a people's choice cult classic, and rightly so. Westerns? Robert Altman's McCabe and Mrs. Miller looks better every time I see it. Walter Hill's The Long Riders, with all those real life brothers cast as brothers in the film, has that classic late 1930's feel to it. The Wild Bunch and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia will assure immortality for Sam Peckinpah., as well as my favorite, The Getaway. William Friedkin's Sorcerer is beginning to get a lot of belated praise. Patton will stick around, if only for the opening speech by the General, standing in front of the World's Largest American Flag, with his chrome helmet, ivory handled sidearms, cavalry breeches and riding crop, looking and sounding like an American Mussolini. (Die for your country? That's a bunch of crap! Make the other bastard die for HIS country!)

No Country for Old Men might stick around, if only for the performance of Javier Bardem.

Looking at this list, I realize that most of these are 20 - 40 years old already. I'm drawing a blank trying to remember more current films. Anybody?

• Like 2

Outside of critical aclaim how long does it take for a film to season/realise into a classic? Even then it's subjective. But in popular film in v recent years maybe '12 years a slave'