What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

1945: The Savage Peace

This is a very disturbing documentary, covering a sad chapter of history that I have never heard before. It was already well known that Russian troops behaved with extreme brutality when they got to Berlin. But this film also deals with the way German speaking people were treated by local citizens after the liberation of Poland and Czechoslovakia. It was extreme payback on innocent people (apparently) to make them suffer for what German occupiers, particularly the SS, had done before.

The terms "ethnic cleansing" and "genocide" are extensively used in this film, and without exaggeration. This was a BBC production. I doubt if it will ever be shown in Germany. Much more hard core than anything on the "History Channel." Not for everybody.

Wolf Hall

I watched ep. 1 of this series last night. Great production values...costumes and sets first rate. I'm going to stay with it, although I think someone with a knowledge of British history might have an easier time. I had to go to Wiki-P to check out who was whom. The Cromwell in this story is the great grandfather of Oliver Cromwell, whose era is many years into the future. Then I had to look up Cranmer and Wolsey and the Duke of Norfolk, as well as the Cromwell family. That's more work than I like to do, but it seems necessary and worthwhile.

I kept thinking of the great old series The Six Wives of Henry the 8th (cue that stupid Herman's Hermits song!). Keith Mitchell was so good in that series, and he looked just like the paintings of old King Harry. Damian Lewis seems miscast here. He looks much too fit. Can't see Damian devouring an entire lamb shank while quaffing a big flagon of ale, telling bawdy jokes and drooling.

Great British TV.

Edited by Frank James
  • Like 1

Wolf Hall

I watched ep. 1 of this series last night. Great production values...costumes and sets first rate. I'm going to stay with it, although I think someone with a knowledge of British history might have an easier time. I had to go to Wiki-P to check out who was whom. The Cromwell in this story is the great grandfather of Oliver Cromwell, whose era is many years into the future. Then I had to look up Cranmer and Wolsey and the Duke of Norfolk, as well as the Cromwell family. That's more work than I like to do, but it seems necessary and worthwhile.

I kept thinking of the great old series The Six Wives of Henry the 8th (cue that stupid Herman's Hermits song!). Keith Mitchell was so good in that series, and he looked just like the paintings of old King Harry. Damian Lewis seems miscast here. He looks much too fit. Can't see Damian devouring an entire lamb shank while quaffing a big flagon of ale, telling bawdy jokes and drooling.

Great British TV.

Keep with it its a top class series , pity the BBC did not spend the licence fee on more of this rather than their usuall left wing PC bullshit.

With TVMC newly installed, I've been watching the streaming movies I didn't bother to download.

Jurassic World .......... total pants.

San Andreas ......... quite enjoyable.

Terminator Genesis ......... quite enjoyable.

• Like 2

I almost missed it: Rectify is back. Nothing spectacular happened in the first episode (does it ever?), it was just the setup for the new season (3).

• Like 2

Well, I watched E03 of True Detectives last night. It was rubbish & I switched off after 30 mins.

Sooo disappointed. sad.png

True, not the best episode of the young season. But I learnt a new word: "apoplectic". Who would say that in a conversation??? smile.png

Season 1 on Rectify was extremely good, & focused on Daniels soul & other Philosophical matters.

I found Ep 4 "Platos Cave" very moving & thought provoking.

So2 was a bit lack lustre in my opinion, & at times I felt it struggled alot.

I'll have a watch of So3.........

• Like 1

Rocky Mountain Law.

Real life, with a dead body etc. Interesting how you Americans just let a guy off for shooting someone because he was on your property. Who turns out to be a friend of yours.

They gave the guy two years for harrassing a police officer, under the influence.

Shise, i would head for the bottle if i had shot a friend of mine...!!!

• Like 1

Well, I watched E03 of True Detectives last night. It was rubbish & I switched off after 30 mins.

Sooo disappointed. sad.png

True, not the best episode of the young season. But I learnt a new word: "apoplectic". Who would say that in a conversation??? smile.png

My father used it from time to time and he was not being pretentious, he just talked like that. I would never use it in conversation, but would not have to think about it either because of early exposure.

• Like 2

Watched this movie some time ago, it's Korean with subs & directed by Lee Kwang Dong.

Really enjoyed it. smile.png

The korean filmakers in recent years imo are the 'cutting edge' of cinema.

rijit

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

Another show that I expected to get the chop that has done a Lazarus: "Murder in the First", don't get me wrong, I didn't mind the show but I didn't expect it to go a second time 'round..

5 episodes in, I think it is better than season 1 (and I found season one absolutely acceptable, not great, but alright for a boring Monday). Rather complex with various story lines somehow interwoven.

But I admit, I was also a little bit surprised that they made a second season.

• Like 1

Watched this movie some time ago, it's Korean with subs & directed by Lee Kwang Dong.

rijit

Try the Korean historical series "Jumong". I watched a couple times on Dramafever.com. It's 60 hours long! I think it's the greatest story ever told. My subscription is only 5 dollars a month and you can watch thru a vpn connection.

Chuno is another great drama series.

• Like 2

Rectify

The first episode of season 3 gets off to a leisurely start, but hints strongly that things won't stay that way for long. The end scene is shocking and the acting is extraordinary. I can say no more.

• Like 1

Suits

Same general drift, new season. When is everybody going to learn that Harvey can't ever be beaten? New threats come along every season and he swats them away like pesky flies.

I know a lot of you guys have a "thing" for Megan Markle, but seriously, I rate her as the worst actress in any major series, at least of the shows I watch. The only one worse (IMHO of course) would be Jessica Pare, Don Draper's third and last wife in Mad Men. What was the Drapester thinking!!??

Now Donna, that's another story! Ahhhhh......

Nice to see Wendell Pierce getting some quality time on the show.

Good stuff!

• Like 1

Rectify

The first episode of season 3 gets off to a leisurely start, but hints strongly that things won't stay that way for long. The end scene is shocking and the acting is extraordinary. I can say no more.

However much i like this series and i do, great acting and excellent script i keep getting a little stuck and always return and question that the basic story is almost stagnant that might be a touch harsh but overall does it/ has it moved on enough to warrent 3 series? However Is it what it is.

In the mean time I will keep watching as overall the plus's atm far outweight the negatives.

rijit

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

5 episodes in, I think it is better than season 1 (and I found season one absolutely acceptable, not great, but alright for a boring Monday). Rather complex with various story lines somehow interwoven.

But I admit, I was also a little bit surprised that they made a second season.

Season 2 opened - literally - with a bang and has moved on pretty well from there, very much enjoying season 2 so far!

• Like 1

Finally got my hands on a decent copy of Ted 2 to watch - not a huge fan of going to the cinema...

Did it suffer from the "sequel" curse? Definitely not (IMO), every bit as funny (if not more so) as the first one... Great watching for a Saturday night in..

• Like 1

rijit

Try the Korean historical series "Jumong". I watched a couple times on Dramafever.com. It's 60 hours long! I think it's the greatest story ever told. My subscription is only 5 dollars a month and you can watch thru a vpn connection.

This guy is in amongst my fav directors liked all but personal favs were' bad guy and ' 3 iron'' truly amazing story telling https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Ki-duk

Ps gentle warning his later films , and this is NOT AN EXAGGERATION, do strongly challenge moral boundries

rijit

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

rijit

This guy is in amongst my fav directors liked all but personal favs were' bad guy and ' 3 iron'' truly amazing story telling https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Ki-duk

Ps gentle warning his later films , and this is NOT AN EXAGGERATION, do strongly challenge moral boundries

rijit

Now I am curious! smile.png

rijit

rijit

Now I am curious! smile.png

Yep its hard to describe his style challenging psychological dramas with strong social commentary thrown in i suppose would do it And as time goes by the 'challenging 'element becomes stronger and stronger almost over whelmingly so.

• Like 1

This movie "Climates" by director Nuri Ceylan, is one that still makes me think.

It charts a love affair breakup tied to the seasons. You really need to see it. smile.png

I'll check it out

Sounds a bit like ki duc kim 'breakthrough' 2002 movie spring summer fall winterand spring not

his best imo but similarly thought provoking http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spring_summer_fall_winterand_spring/?page=6&critic=columns&sortby=rotten&name_order=asc&review_type=

rijit

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1