What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

2nd series Extant just started

Pplus even if you never saw the past series of Stirike Back don't worry, get on series 5, all action stuff set in Bangkok and Thailand

Not true, seasons 2,3 & 4 of Strike Back averaged 3 different naked women per episode.

Seasons 1 and 5 appear to have none!

• Like 1

Just started with the HBO (hbonow.com) series True Detective season 1. McCaugheney and Woody Harrelson are terrific. It's a serious drama and well done. But the interaction between the two main detective characters is hilarious.

A quote from season one. One of the best lines on TV in 2014. Outstanding writing of the highest order.

Woodys character asks his partner what do you believe in?

I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures what should not exist, by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, a secretion of sensory experience and feeling programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming. Stop reproducing. Walk hand and hand into extinction. One last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

True Detective 2...Early Impressions

This series bears no resemblance to the Harrelson/McConnaughey first edition. It's so different in every way, (except for the frequent overhead shots of the landscape--LA freeways this time) it should have a different title.

It seems a lot of people don't like the job Vince Vaughn is doing in his role. I think it is written as a character who used to be a thuggish gangster, who now has the means, the proper wife, and the full intention to "go legit", ala Michael Corleone in Godfather 3. He is stiff and wooden because he really hasn't learned to be this guy yet. It's a big breakout role for VV, and I think he's doing good work here. For me, the weak link is Taylor K's portrayal of the troubled Highway patrolman. But that could be the fault of the script and not the actor. Colin Farrell carries most of the heavy acting load, so far, and does it well, in my opinion.

This production has the look of a David Lynch film, with the oddball secondary characters (W. Earl Brown, sleazy cop, so pickled you can almost smell him, the Mayor of Vinci, the David Morse "guru", etc) and particularly the scenes set in that grubby little bar, with the depressing girl singer, and the enigmatic barmaid with the scarred face. Too bad the great Lynch himself was not put in charge, there would be lots more bizarre touches, and probably more skilfully applied.

So far, it seems like a worthy effort. I'm in for the whole trip.

In addition to the two lead characters in season one, who were phenomenally good, the Louisiana locations were spooky as hell. It was the darkest and most accurate portrayal of that incredibly dark state. It brought such rich atmosphere to the show. LA? One of the most lightweight cities on the planet. Where do you begin to follow up season one? It was a masterpiece. Vince Vaughn? Does he gave the level of gravitas of either lead from last season? Either of those two guys could play any character they chose. Any genre. Anything.

I tried to watch the new Mad Max movie too, but it did not seem to have a plot, so I fell asleep after a while. I need a strong plot and interesting characters to reel me in.

But the production was amazing. Took two years to make. Miller had been working on getting it made for 20 years. Twelve full time metalworkers. The production was so vast they had to move the film from Australia to Namibia and South Africa because the Aussie desert was not large enough. 80% of the stunts were live action. No idea how they did that. Kudos to the filmmakers for that production.

• Like 1

I tried to watch the new Mad Max movie too, but it did not seem to have a plot, so I fell asleep after a while. I need a strong plot and interesting characters to reel me in.

But the production was amazing. Took two years to make. Miller had been working on getting it made for 20 years. Twelve full time metalworkers. The production was so vast they had to move the film from Australia to Namibia and South Africa because the Aussie desert was not large enough. 80% of the stunts were live action. No idea how they did that. Kudos to the filmmakers for that production.

Movie made by talent-less wannbees.

Don't matter how much they spend or how long they take.

I am not really a fan of Mel Gibson ,but compared to the guy who played Max in this piece of crap he would have been an oscar nominee.

This guy is a top drawer actor. Maybe you should watch Bronson, Warrior or Lawless.

His new film is Legend. Playing the Kray twins.

What ,both of them?

Yeah

George Miller is a talentless wannabe? The production crew is talentless? That production was so difficult and so dangerous a 27 year old stunt man with a lot of experience died on the set during filming of one of the scenes. Don't know where to start to respond to such ignorance. Maybe the truth is closer to home?

George Miller is a talentless wannabe? The production crew is talentless? That production was so difficult and so dangerous a 27 year old stunt man with a lot of experience died on the set during filming of one of the scenes. Don't know where to start to respond to such ignorance. Maybe the truth is closer to home?

maejoMTB enjoys an occasional spot of fishing....never knows when he will get a bite

While I understand that the action scenes and cars were pretty amazing,I still think the movie was useless,the acting was not good and the storyline infantile,as I said before I would have loved it if I was 12,sorry Edited by i claudius

While I understand that the action scenes and cars were pretty amazing,I still think the movie was useless,the acting was not good and the storyline infantile,as I said before I would have loved it if I was 12,sorry

The gal who played the flower lady is the top stage actor in Oz, from what I hear. Charlize was good. I thought the acting was decent. The film was very over the top. But I liked the production.

• Like 1

maejoMTB enjoys an occasional spot of fishing....never knows when he will get a bite

You think this movie had a script?

Apart from the bra less 'wives' it was a total loss.

Movies that take an excessive time to make are always pants.

Name one remake that was even a shadow of the original?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

it was garbage. Way, way too much ridiculous CGI car stunts. Stupido!

And sound too loud and theatre way too cold. So it sucked even in 3D.

Edited by slerickson
  • Like 1

after a great first episode Imo a disappointing meandering un entertaining 2 nd episode of Mr robot coffee1.gif I'll watch another but after that if it doesnt improve 4 me it'll be arrivederci

• Like 2

after a great first episode Imo a disappointing meandering un entertaining 2 nd episode of Mr robot coffee1.gif I'll watch another but after that if it doesnt improve 4 me it'll be arrivederci

I'm with you there rijit... It demanded extra concentration, blink and you missed the entire plot line...

Even my wife didn't bother to ask me questions about it, she said 'I won't bother to ask you to explain it, that was too intense' I said 'great, because I'd have to watch it again just to be able to explain to you what just happened'

• Like 1

I'm with you there rijit... It demanded extra concentration, blink and you missed the entire plot line...

Even my wife didn't bother to ask me questions about it, she said 'I won't bother to ask you to explain it, that was too intense' I said 'great, because I'd have to watch it again just to be able to explain to you what just happened'

yeah glad you saw it like that surprised that the director allowed it, but thought the actors were constantly mumbling didnt help you to follow it and with the intensity of the plot,, for want of a better phrase it was all to ' up it's own arse' bac to basic's just entertain us please,,, smart we like but this was ott

oh and thought 'suits' took a step up this week and did just that by toughening up the storyline and sort of re introduced the hard line confrontational element which was, like , the trade mark of suits ,, sort of civil war in the work place,,, delivered with intensity and pace..and style a little to much at times but still,,,

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

Mr Robot E02 - very dissappointing, watched less than half of it.

Just watched it myself ,to be honest I couldn't understand half of what they said mumble mumble,I just got bored as well,might try one more episode. But really disappointed

• Like 1

Kes (1969) Early Ken Loach Classic

I watched this heartbreaking time capsule last night, featuring kids growing up in the North England coal patch in the late 60's. I am a big fan of those old school British working class films...Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner; This Sporting Life; Saturday Night & Sunday Morning; Room at the Top, etc.and this one fits right in with that bunch. Nobody seems to be making these anymore except Ken Loach, and his films can be hard to find. (Anybody know of any others?)

This one is available on k-a, and is well worth a look. The accents are so strong, the subtitles really help. I wish they had been put into the later Loach film The Angels' Share, set in Scotland, which I also really liked.

TEN, and may the kestrel always fly free over the moors.

• Like 1