What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Just finished watching series 1 of Scott & Bailey.

From IMBD: Two female detectives, one motherly, the other emotionally immature, have varying

levels of success applying their eccentric outlooks on life to their police cases and private lives.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1843678/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A bit different as the 2 leads are female.

Not great, but pretty good. I'm going to give series 2 a crack.

• Like 2

Watched Bad Neighbours last night; aside from the ending it was a <deleted> funny movie! The version I acquired wasn't great but watchable...

Rose Byrne with her natural accent! Yum yum... Dave Franco could've been left out... 8/10 for me

• Like 2

Working my way through the entire Arrested Development series. " I'm a combination of an analyst and a therapist. The worlds first analrapist" Tobias Funke you truly are a god.

• Like 1

Orange is the new black. Second full season now out!

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Season 2 was very good. I binged over a few nights tongue.png

I don't know whether to curse or congratulate Netflix for them making all episodes available at the same time

• Like 1

Orange is the new black. Second full season now out!

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Season 2 was very good. I binged over a few nights tongue.png

I don't know whether to curse or congratulate Netflix for them making all episodes available at the same time

Yep

Downloading the whole series as we speak.

Glad to hear series 2 is good.

:
Tim's Vermeer (quasi-documentary)
r

Caught up with Tim's Vermeer the other day. A very enjoyable movie/documentary. 7.5/10 from me.

It moves a little slow but it is a fascinating and brilliant piece of amateur detective work that explains the mystery of the paintings of Vermeer.

Tim Jenison, a Texas based inventor, (Video Toaster, LightWave, TriCaster) attempts to solve one of the greatest mysteries in all art: How did 17th century Dutch master Johannes Vermeer ("Girl with a Pearl Earring") manage to paint so photo-realistically - 150 years before the invention of photography? The epic research project Jenison embarks on to test his theory is as extraordinary as what he discovers. Spanning a decade, Jenison's adventure takes him to Delft, Holland, where Vermeer painted ..

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tims_vermeer_2014/

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Didn't like Black Box - watched about half the first episode but was doing nothing for me.

Prey UK just started (se01 ep01) the other day. About a cop framed for the murder of his wife and kid (and sister in law I think) who manages to escape and is on the run. Coming to terms with their deaths, not knowing who to trust and being on the lamb. Not a new premise, but interesting and enjoyable first episode and believable acting from the lead (although some of the others are a little wooden - but probably just new series nerves). Worth a watch IMO.

Penny Dreadful is another new series. Don't read the official spiel though as it does no justice. Basically, set in mid 19th century London, various characters from literature (Frankenstein, Dorian Grey, and others) hunting down bad creatures (vampires so far - not the usual Count Dracula, but creatures with exo-skeletons and many long sharp cat-like teeth). Reminded me a bit of Sanctuary in the more-fantasy-than-horror sort of way - but blood, gore and body parts aplenty!

Salem a new witch program - set in 17th centaury Salem (the American one - there's a few others wink.pnghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem). More traditional evil Satanic witch covens and 17th centaury witch trials. Fairly graphic. Is OK so far - but hard to love any of the characters as yet (even the "hero" is a bit too much of a <deleted> so far for endearment)

Trend Setters

For those of you that like a good English crime series, this

one called Prey, starring John Sims looks pretty good.

Worth a watch. Follows the script of The Fugitive in many ways

• Like 1

Some Movies to avoid tongue.png

3 Days to Kill .

This movie stars Kevin Costner and was directed by someone who is named 'McG'. Already off to a bad start this movie doesn't get any better.

Costner stinks in this role. He delivers hitman-humour with the all the timing of a broken watch. Half way through the movie you will be drifting off into space thinking about what you feel like eating for breakfast tomorrow. There is some eye candy in this movie but clearly the ability to act was a loose requirement. At times you are praying for Costner's terminal cancer to be brought dramatically forward.

1/10 from me

Endless Love

Maybe one for the GF and yourself to share if you want to zone out and think about your footy tips. This is a teen movie , sure, but usually you can get something good from such a movie. Not this one.. 3/10 from me

The Harry Hill Movie.

This is clearly a type of English humour that you need to grow up on. A bit like Vegemite/Marmite perhaps? A taste if not acquired before age 3 the taste will be forever unpalatable. This IS a comedy movie if you get confused. 0/10 from me

The Watsons Go to Birmingham

I wondered if this was made as an educational tool for middle class African/American schools in the US. I almost expected bullet points to recap the end of each scene. It is aimed at a younger audience..I think...I fast forwarded so often and every time I stopped I am sure the dialogue and actors were the same. 2/10 from me

• Like 1

I didn't mind 3 Days to Kill, though I did feel it was very Taken'esque without the hostages.

Maybe like that Jason Statham film where he's got that heart problem...

I thought that it was OK too, but nothing to get excited about.

Dont know if anyone has said this yet but Happy Valley , well worth a look ,very good

Yep, the reviews are great.

Have episode 1 ready to go.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JRXHEAA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0AECW3HP073HN4TTQQGW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

I downloaded all 6 episodes, but honestly struggled to get through the first one. Way too much "talking heads" dialogue, though some interesting story lines going. Maybe I was in the wrong mood. I'll try to finish it later and see if I like it an better.

• Like 1

Fargo: Watched the final episode of this last night and thought it capped
of a really good series.

Kept me guessing right up until the end and Biily Bob Thornton
was still as good as in the first episode.

Highly recommended.

• Like 2

of a really good series.

Highly recommended.

I watched the first episode.

Does the series follow the basic plot of the movie?

Edited by BookMan

Caught up with a couple of comedies this week.

Blended with Adam Sandler: I liked this one. Everything goes to a well worn script, but I was in the mood for some Sandler stupidity and we got some good laughs. 7/10 from me

After a disastrous blind date, single parents Lauren and Jim agree on only one thing: they never want to see each other again. But when they each sign up separately for a fabulous family vacation with their kids, they are all stuck sharing a suite at a luxurious African safari resort for a week in "Blended," the third comedy collaboration between stars Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.

A Millon Ways to Die in The West. Despite a good cast it doesnt work so well for me. 3/10

Seth MacFarlane directs, produces, co-writes and plays the role of the cowardly sheep farmer Albert in A Million Ways to Die in the West. After Albert backs out of a gunfight, his fickle girlfriend leaves him for another man. When a mysterious and beautiful woman rides into town, she helps him find his courage and they begin to fall in love. But when her husband, a notorious outlaw, arrives seeking revenge, the farmer must put his newfound courage to the test. Starring alongside MacFarlane are Oscar ® winner Charlize Theron, Liam Neeson, Amanda Seyfried, Giovanni Ribisi, Sarah Silverman and Neil Patrick Harris.

of a really good series.

Highly recommended.

Yep, there's a lot of twist and turns though.

If you were indifferent to the first episode (which I thought was fantastic)

it might not be for you though.

• Like 1

of a really good series.

Highly recommended.

I probably wasn't so much indifferent as not in the mood for that type of show when I was watching it.

The movie Fargo was one of favourite for around the period it was releases

of a really good series.

Highly recommended.

I probably wasn't so much indifferent as not in the mood for that type of show when I was watching it.

The movie Fargo was one of favourite for around the period it was releases

Maybe give it another crack BookMan.

I think you and I have reasonably similar tastes in movies/shows.

I thought it was great.

• Like 2

I loved Fargo and the plot is not the same as the movie. The woman cop is a similar character, but not the chief of police. I think that everyone else is different and there are some excellent actors besides Billy Bob, like Keith Carradine and the guy who played Saul the sleazy lawyer on Breaking Bad.

• Like 1