What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Speaking of accents again..

This page was passed on to me. US stars attempting the British accent. The best and Worst

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/us-stars-british-accent-esqsyn?src=nl&mag=esq&list=nl_enl_cel_non_070514_us-stars-british-accent

Interesting read, thanks. However, no such list is complete without Christopher Guest in Spinal Tap (good), IMHO.

• Like 1

2 hours of my life I will never get back. Noah, really? Stone transformers? Not quite true to the book. Unutterable tosh!!!

Totally agree, I got about 20 mins in, avoid Transcendence to, unless you want to waste another 2 hours. I hate movies that start at the end, if you know what I mean

Must say that I'm really enjoying The Night Shift, unfortunately it looks like it is following the hollywood phenomenon of killing off asian actors once they reach a certain entertainment value.

Hopefully this goes for a second season (season finalé next week after only 8 episodes?) seems to be holding its own in the ratings game.

I think Patsycat will enjoy this show (if she's not already) wink.png

Tyrant seems to be quite good hopefully it continues to move along pushing boundries.

Halle Berry's new show (Extant) opens tonight, will be interesting to see what comes of it...

Yes I am enjoying Night Shift too.

Watching Extant right at this moment, so far seems more IRobot like than what the write up says.

Took a look at Under the Dome, in which some sort of transparent bubble dome descends from (?) and encases a small town. I kept wondering why they don't get some shovels and tunnel under the thing. For sci-fi/fantasy fans only.

Ah you haven't watched many episode yet then :) - They do try, it is not a dome, but a globe.

Just finished S2 of the Vikings...great cannot wait for S3. Now gonna start the following ( any opinions on this? ).

Vikings is one of my favourite shows - like you waiting for new season. Now King Horik is dead, presume he will be crowned king and inherit a lot of rivals! as well as returning to Britain (historically he was repelled from England, and invaded Scotland (Picts) and Northern France - but England has been set up in the series, so we'll see how accurate it is).

• Like 2

Just finished S2 of the Vikings...great cannot wait for S3. Now gonna start the following ( any opinions on this? ).

Vikings is one of my favourite shows - like you waiting for new season. Now King Horik is dead, presume he will be crowned king and inherit a lot of rivals! as well as returning to Britain (historically he was repelled from England, and invaded Scotland (Picts) and Northern France - but England has been set up in the series, so we'll see how accurate it is).

Yeah Vikings was great.

The Following? You would be better using your time in coloring funny faces onto the shells of 5 dozen eggs

• Like 2

C'mon BM you know you have a soft spot for The Following ;)

Must say that I'm enjoying Black Box..

Rookie Blue isn't half bad either for a Canadian series, bit predictable, but fills the gap whilst the good cop series are on a break.

Suits is THE show to watch though.

• Like 1

Yeah Vikings was great.

The Following? You would be better using your time in coloring funny faces onto the shells of 5 dozen eggs

The first series of Following was OK - after that it was crap and got more and more confused.

C'mon BM you know you have a soft spot for The Following wink.png

Must say that I'm enjoying Black Box..

Rookie Blue isn't half bad either for a Canadian series, bit predictable, but fills the gap whilst the good cop series are on a break.

Suits is THE show to watch though.

Yeah I love Suits too - latest (current) season is not as good though, want him to be a lawyer again!

I think the current season of Suits is yet to take off.. Think they're trying to establish the story line, next weeks episode should play it out (IMO)

I think Luis is getting a bit more of the spotlight, which is damn funny, especially the latest episode. Hilarious.

Just watched Extant ,could work out well, also just watched the second episode of series 2 of the dome ,oh God its utter crap ,especially when they all clapped when he landed that plane suprised they didnt all form a circle and praise the lord ,but i have to find out what the dome is for . i'me so sad

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 2

Just watched Extant ,could work out well, also just watched the second episode of series 2 of the dome ,oh God its utter crap ,especially when they all clapped when he landed that plane suprised they didnt all form a circle and praise the lord ,but i have to find out what the dome is for . i'me so sad

I'm with you regarding the Dome , I claudius. I didn't mind Season 1, but after 15 minutes of the first episode season 2 I could watch no more. I went and fitted a vertical blind instead.

This is despite some serious eye candy in Britt Roberston. I don't mind watching her at all

• Like 2

I was so intent on hoping that Ray Donovan would return, I didn't even know Suits is back on. I have watched every episode since s01, e01, and for me it's a love/hate thing. Looking forward to whatever they dream up next. Where to start?

• It is absolutely absurd that a top tier NYC corporate law firm would take on a street kid like Mike, knowing he has never been to any law school, much less Harvard. Requires a massive suspension of disbelief by the viewer. OK, I did, it's a good show, I'm in.
  • OK, Mike's a prodigy, but his phenomenal recall and photographic memory, coupled with the ability to always use these abilities to WIN every time, are a huge stretch. Ok, let that slide too.
  • Back to Point One: Mike's old buddy Trevor rats him out tp Boss Jessica, and she keeps Mike on? Out of love of Harvey? Please! (another slider.)
  • Mike's girlfriend Rachel: An appealing character, good looker, but what a TERRIBLE actress. She has one expression, that she can twist in two directions: hurt and vulnerable, as when Mike has once more given her pain, then dreamy in love, looking up at Mike. You know the look, it's in every scene she's in.
  • Donna is unbelievably smart and hot. She's MUCH smarter than Harvey, and he knows it.
  • Louis Litt ("You're gonna get Litt UP!") is smarter than anybody, but he has a defective, alienating personality. Love the mating rituals he goes through with Harvard Sheila. And he's way too into cats.
  • Patrick J. Adams really gets around. he played a psychotic killer on Luther, and what may be a recurring role as Crazy Helena's boyfriend on Orphan Black. he's good. I'm hoping they dump this "investment banker" role for him soon. Doesn't work for me.
  • I like the villains, particularly David Costible (Hardman), Gary Cole (DA, hates Harvey), and Eric Close (Tanner, Wile E Coyote to Harvey's Road Runner.)
  • Costible never wins. They killed him on Breaking Bad, and drove him off the Detroit PD in Low Winter Sun, and here he gets run out of his own firm.

Any show that makes you want to watch corporate lawyers, with all their tricky machinations, greed, and ridiculous wealth, is pretty good. Glad they're back.

• Like 2

I was really looking forward to the second season of House of Cards, but was very disappointed in the writing. Francis and Claire have both turned into sociopathic monsters, as opposed to charmingly Machiavellian political insiders. After seeing the transformation in the Underwood character, I found the idea that he might ever become even a fictional President of the United States deeply offensive.

• Like 1

Yes, i am enjoying The Night Shift - for obvious reasons!!

Extant - will watch the next episode, but not really my cup of tea. Even though the husband i remember from ER. rolleyes.gifwub.png

I just started watching, as in 3 episodes back to back, The Bridge US, the first Season. Enjoying it so far, shall see.

No good movies, no TV shows. I hope September comes up with some goodies.

Resorted to watching some older stuff. And going out and enjoying the rain that has been pouring here for about a week!!!

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 2

Watched a 1962 Italian film last night called "Il Sorpasso" (refers to a crazy driver who wants to overtake and pass every car on the road). The great Vittorio Gassman plays Bruno, a carefree rake who rolls around in his vintage, well worn Lancer Aurelia sports car. There is some great scenery of early 60's Roma and environs. Bruno meets and befriends shy Roberto, played by a shockingly young Jean Louis Trintignant, who lately played an very old man in Amour. Remember him and Anouk Aimee in A Man and a Woman? Seems like yesterday.

It's a fairly simple and carefree road/buddy film. Gassman is off the charts as the crazy Bruno. A Criterion special, available at the usual place.

• Like 1

Just watched s04. e01 of Suits. The legalistic stuff is so thick in this opener that I'm going to have to watch it again to see if I can begin to understand what they're doing, aside from the usual parade of Big Egos, trying to get over on each other. Looks like Rachel is going to be on more prominent display this season. Hope she spent some time at the Actors Studio while the show was on hiatus.

We need More Louis. He has more soul than any of the suits.

Normally, I would totally agree. But I am still very embarrassed. So, I'll give you and Bookman simply one of my rare "uber-likes" instead.

And now for something completely different (if I may): a few people mentioned "The Honorable Woman". I just saw the first two episodes and I think this is high quality British TV. Great opening scene, some realistic action, too. The whole scenario slowly unfolding and developing. I particularly like the British MI6 agent (can anybody be more British restrained than this character?). A great spy drama and worth watching IMHO.

• Like 1

Normally, I would totally agree. But I am still very embarrassed. So, I'll give you and Bookman simply one of my rare "uber-likes" instead.

And now for something completely different (if I may): a few people mentioned "The Honorable Woman". I just saw the first two episodes and I think this is high quality British TV. Great opening scene, some realistic action, too. The whole scenario slowly unfolding and developing. I particularly like the British MI6 agent (can anybody be more British restrained than this character?). A great spy drama and worth watching IMHO.

Thanks for the reminder about The Honorable Woman. I'll queue that up now

Looks like Rachel is going to be on more prominent display this season. Hope she spent some time at the Actors Studio while the show was on hiatus.

Rachel is just so much more than merely her acting skills.

3263998532925163b1ad90b0d30df18c.jpg

Boing!!!!

• Like 1

Watched "The Railway Man" on Saturday. Enjoyable movie. Good performance by Firth struggling with the horrors of being an ex-POW. I am also hooked on a Canadian TV series "The Murdoch Mysteries" that I came across by chance. It's not 'edge of the seat' drama but entertaining. I just downloaded Fargo s1 because I really liked the movie....I'm a bit of a Coen fan. So, I'll see if the series is as good as the movie.

• Like 1

Watched "The Railway Man" on Saturday. Enjoyable movie. Good performance by Firth struggling with the horrors of being an ex-POW. I am also hooked on a Canadian TV series "The Murdoch Mysteries" that I came across by chance. It's not 'edge of the seat' drama but entertaining. I just downloaded Fargo s1 because I really liked the movie....I'm a bit of a Coen fan. So, I'll see if the series is as good as the movie.

I had not heard of the Murdoch Mysteries before, though I like a lot of Canadian stuff. It is into Season 8!

In the 1890s, William Murdoch uses radical forensic techniques for the time, including fingerprinting and trace evidence, to solve some of the city's most gruesome murders.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091909/