What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Wish I could post a few thoughts on what is happening on Rectify, without spoiling it for others. This show is almost painful to watch, due to the personal agonies people are going through, all over that small Georgia town. Especially Tawney and her idiot husband Ted. He's really trying hard, but he's just not equipped to face the truth about anything around him.

I really like the show, even though there is a constant atmosphere of impending doom. Now matter what happens in the way of resolution, there are going to be a lot of disappointed people. Not for everybody, but right up my alley.

I watched the first episode and found it deeply depressing. Not that I did not want to know the truth an' all, but the whole atmosphere wasn't to my liking. Reading your post, I think I made the right decision. On the other hand, I also found "True Detectives" rather sinister and anything but light and fresh. Nevertheless, I was sucked in immediately and watched it to the end with impatience (maybe the actors?). Anyway, if there will ever be anything in "Rectify" that somehow will give a glimmer of hope, please let me know. I will give it another shot then. smile.png

Any of the gentry here viewed this?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744409-bangkok-brits-tv-series/

In need of a good laugh, might have to search the depths of the bay for it tongue.png

555....i read that thread before and queued it up

The thread itself contains a few good posts. Have not found the tv-series, yet.

There is only 1 episode so far...PM me if you cant find it

Wish I could post a few thoughts on what is happening on Rectify, without spoiling it for others. This show is almost painful to watch, due to the personal agonies people are going through, all over that small Georgia town. Especially Tawney and her idiot husband Ted. He's really trying hard, but he's just not equipped to face the truth about anything around him.

I really like the show, even though there is a constant atmosphere of impending doom. Now matter what happens in the way of resolution, there are going to be a lot of disappointed people. Not for everybody, but right up my alley.

You could write SPOILER ALERT or something like that and then write it all down. "Doomed" or not, the story itself seems rather interesting.

Muppets Most Wanted movie stinks. I didnt expect much, but I thought there would be some good laughs for the GF. SHe drifted off to do her knitting and i just drifted off...half an hour in I switched the TV off

1/10 from me

Muppets Most Wanted movie stinks. I didnt expect much, but I thought there would be some good laughs for the GF. SHe drifted off to do her knitting and i just drifted off...half an hour in I switched the TV off

1/10 from me

Yup I had a similar thought, think I lasted 20 minutes before flicking it... Expected a bit more from Ricky...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I like a good prison movie so looking forward to Starred Up:

Also has Aussie Ben Mendelsohn in it.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2567712/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A troubled and explosively violent teenager is transferred to adult prison where he

finally meets his match - a man who also happens to be his father.

Would appreciate it if anyone finds out where I can find itwhistling.gif

Starred Up is available now KhunWill

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

I like a good prison movie so looking forward to Starred Up:

Also has Aussie Ben Mendelsohn in it.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2567712/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A troubled and explosively violent teenager is transferred to adult prison where he

finally meets his match - a man who also happens to be his father.

Would appreciate it if anyone finds out where I can find itwhistling.gif

Starred Up is available now KhunWill

Excellent find chaps! This will be tee'd up.

• Like 1

Fleming the man who would be Bond. Describes Ian Fleming from before the war until after when he wrote the first Bond book. He was nearly called Harry Atkins. Interesting study of what was to come.

I have also just watched the first series of Californication. Which, surprisingly I quite liked. Enough to download the rest. Though Entourage was better I think.

I am also starting the Following. A bit far fetched but watchable.

Tommy Cooper: Not like that like this. I loved Tommy Cooper and this biopic showed who he was. Not so nice.

Entourage Season 2 was not as good as the first but leaves you hanging for season 3 which I believe is being made.

Edited by Sigurris
  • Like 2

The Lottery, 1st episode out now.

New tv series, set in the future where all women have become infertile.

It's the end of the world ..........

PS

I haven't watched it yet, don't blame me if its pants!

PPS

Monday, my biggest d/l day,

The leftover, The Strain, The Last Ship, True Blood, The Lottery, Witches of East End, Falling Skies

All released on Monday morning.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

The Lottery, 1st episode out now.

New tv series, set in the future where all women have become infertile.

It's the end of the world ..........

PS

I haven't watched it yet, don't blame me if its pants!

PPS

Monday, my biggest d/l day,

The leftover, The Strain, The Last Ship, True Blood, The Lottery, Witches of East End, Falling Skies

All released on Monday morning.

Nice one!

"The Lottery" was not even on my list, probably because it's on "lifetime" and that's usually not my thing. Just watched the first episode. Started mediocre, but then...the lottery came up. Great idea, in other words: a disaster waiting to happen, I am assuming. Do not know whether I like or dislike the female scientist, yet. I definitely would not go out with the female Chief of Staff (the actress will be relieved to hear that smile.png ).

If they continue like that, the show will be nice entertainment. I will continue watching with some distant goodwill. But as I mentioned before, many good shows around and I will drop "The Lottery" like a hot potato, if it blows up and becomes ridiculous. Alright then lifetime, use your chance!

• Like 2

I kind've forgot about Reckless after watching the first episode a couple of weeks ago, so tee'd up the next 3 episodes, has an almost "To Kill a Mockingbird" feel to it (obviously without the racial overtones), fairly pedestrian but it has its moments.

• Like 1

Trend Setters

Saw an episode of Homicide Hunter: Lt. Joe Kenda last week on CTH

and caught an episode again last night.

This series is really growing on me and Lt Kenda who narrates is quite

the character. He sets it apart from the plethora of other cop shows.

I'm really getting into this one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1934673/?ref_=nv_sr_3

I've watched 3 episodes of Joe Kenda so far and like the show. Each episode seems to be about 43 minutes in length.

As you say, Joe Kenda's narration and style of speech works very well, as does the layout of the investigations

Saw episode 8, season 3 last night on CTH called Blood Red Highway.

It's not very often you get to see a seasoned murder detective like Lt Joe Kenda

well up and get teary.

An excellent episode from a really great show.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

In need of a good laugh, might have to search the depths of the bay for it tongue.png

Dave the <deleted> Tourist Police Officer! What a muppet, speaking in that stupid <deleted> accent! Just wanted to punch him in the face, are the TPV's in Pattaya known as "Dad's Army"? Jesus H Christ! Billy Brunsdon hahaha silly Billy.. Last but not least, Gary the <deleted>! That show just made me mad, the female dancer was a waste of space, the next episode with the new arrival who complains about the food looks like she'll need a good slap too...

Definitely a show that'll further the british stereotype here :P

Dave the <deleted> Tourist Police Officer! What a muppet, speaking in that stupid <deleted> accent! Just wanted to punch him in the face, are the TPV's in Pattaya known as "Dad's Army"? Jesus H Christ! Billy Brunsdon hahaha silly Billy.. Last but not least, Gary the <deleted>! That show just made me mad, the female dancer was a waste of space, the next episode with the new arrival who complains about the food looks like she'll need a good slap too...

Definitely a show that'll further the british stereotype here tongue.png

The dancer was the most deluded. She actually thought she could dance. Maybe she doesn't realise that Thailand has thousands and thousands of very very good dancers who are a pleasure to watch.

Bit like a Clydesdale coming to work in Pony land

• Like 1

Just finished a typically charming English comedy called Mr. Sloane.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2789226/

From the director of Curb your Enthusiasm, this one is well written

and acted. I didn't find it hilarious but it was amusing and thoughtful.

It's only a 6 show series of about 25 minutes per show.

I really enjoyed it.

IMDB: It's December 1969 in Watford, England, and JEREMY SLOANE

is at the end of his rope - literally. His failed attempt to end it all has just

joined a growing list of recent setbacks, which include getting sacked from

his accounting job and a separation from his wife JANET, who has left to "find herself."

The one remaining constant in his life are his evenings at the pub with childhood mates

Ross, Reggie and Beans.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

I kind've forgot about Reckless after watching the first episode a couple of weeks ago, so tee'd up the next 3 episodes, has an almost "To Kill a Mockingbird" feel to it (obviously without the racial overtones), fairly pedestrian but it has its moments.

I doubt that I will have another look at "Reckles", but I will add "fairly pedestrian" to my list of ways to rate a show appropriately.

:D :D

Just watched the 8th episode of Halt and Catch Fire. They are ratcheting up the drama now as we head for the exciting cliffhanger season ender. I like the show well enough to want to follow it, although it's hard to imagine what direction things will go after they unveil their product at Comdex and it's a big hit. AMC was hoping that this show would grab people the way Mad Men did. The reviews have been favorable, but I have a feeling this show won't be renewed. Nice try, though.

• Like 2

Just watched the 8th episode of Halt and Catch Fire. They are ratcheting up the drama now as we head for the exciting cliffhanger season ender. I like the show well enough to want to follow it, although it's hard to imagine what direction things will go after they unveil their product at Comdex and it's a big hit. AMC was hoping that this show would grab people the way Mad Men did. The reviews have been favorable, but I have a feeling this show won't be renewed. Nice try, though.

Until now it has not crossed my mind that they will not renew it. But you could be right. While I am interested in the characters and the story, I nevertheless would admit that they cannot compete with "Mad Men". Don Draper alone is a class of his own, followed by great characters who all deserve their stories to be told. I nevertheless hope for a second season of "Halt..." and not only because I do remember what an intel 8088 was :-) .

I am one of the few people who never had much use for "Mad Men". It is not that it is a bad show, I just am not very interested in it and there is too much else to watch. I prefer Halt and Catch Fire, although I have only watched a few episodes.

I have only watched one episode of Mad Men. I'm sure it's a good show, but I don't feel like going back five years to plug in. Halt and Catch Fire...I keep hoping there will be more about the machine ("Cardiff Giant") and less about the damaged soul of Joe McMillan. He fits the profile of a psychopath. I know these shows need to be character driven, particularly when there is no "action" or random violence. I wouldn't mind if it came back, but I don't see where it can go after the machine gets unveiled. If their creation (a 15 pound "portable"!) is an outrageous overnight success, ("we'll sell 'em at Sears!") I think it will be bad for Joe, whose megalomania will go off the charts. We shall see.

Meanwhile, Ray Donovan is back and so far it's even better than season one. This is the most dysfunctional family since the Borgias! They must have to do several takes of any scene that Mickey (Jon Voight) is in, with all the wacky lines he gets to say. Ray always looks like he's going to whip out his gun and get rid of his Mickey problem once and for all, but you can tell they love each other. What a great show.

Meanwhile, Ray Donovan is back and so far it's even better than season one. This is the most dysfunctional family since the Borgias! They must have to do several takes of any scene that Mickey (Jon Voight) is in, with all the wacky lines he gets to say. Ray always looks like he's going to whip out his gun and get rid of his Mickey problem once and for all, but you can tell they love each other. What a great show.

I was a big critic of Mickey in season 1 and was glad to see him gone (as it were), but he's definitely added some "je ne sais quoi?" to the season so far...

Hank Azaria as the LA Bureau Chief of the FBI looks like it's going to be a good addition.

• Like 1

I was a big critic of Mickey in season 1 and was glad to see him gone (as it were), but he's definitely added some "je ne sais quoi?" to the season so far...

Mickey was critical to the plot and is a most compelling rascal owing to Voight's masterly portrayal. He needs to be in there, and now that he is, the 2nd Season is gaining steam.

Hank Azaria as the LA Bureau Chief of the FBI looks like it's going to be a good addition.

I'm happy to see Wendell Pierce, "Bunk" of The Wire.

I just watched a Walter Hill all time classic from 1987 called Extreme Prejudice. Starring ramrod-straight Nick Nolte as a Texas Ranger, and Powers Boothe as his ex-best friend, now a drug kingpin in Mexico. Both were in their prime, and Rip Torn comes in for a fine cameo as a county sheriff. So obscure it took four days to gather up all the torrents, but worth it, even though the print looks like a well-used VHS tape from the 2 for $5 sale bin at Blockbuster.

The big shootout in the small Mexican village on Cinco de mayo is right out of the Sam Peckinpah playbook, and then some. What is it about Powers Boothe that gets him cast every time as a silver-tongued psycho, such a devil with the ladies? He expanded on this archetype to perfection later in Deadwood, as Ian McShane's rival. A thankless role, because nobody gets over on Al Swearingen.

Good script, great heist, superior action. Walter Hill always got the best work from Nick Nolte. I've got to go get a copy of 48 Hours now.