What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

I've probably already posted this, but last year I thought Ray Donovan and Rectify were decent TV shows. This year, they are two of my favorite series. I look forward to each new episode.

not keen on rectify but Ray Donovan is better than the 2st series
  • Like 1

While I was back in the Old Country I picked up a few DVDs; mostly stuff that I've seen on the plane over the last many years and wanted to see again

- The Good the Bad and the Wierd

- Lust, Caution

- Amelie (of Montmartre)

and also an English version of L'Illusioniste; I'm not sure how they'll subtitle a film with no dialogue, though

SC

"Murder in the First" came to an surprisingly unspectacular ending. No word from TNT yet, wether Detectives Terry English and Hildy Mulligan (Taye Diggs and Kathleen Robertson, who I liked very much in "Boss") will return for season 2 to solve another murder case. I would not mind...

• Like 1

"Bad Words":

An adult (Jason Bateman from "Arrested Development") finds a loophole in the Spelling Bee regulations and joins the tournament much to the disapproval of the other contestants and their parents. It has some funny moments, his motivation makes his behavior somehow comprehensible, but his relationship to a fellow-contestant whom he befriends is at least questionable (what 10-year-old (!) boy would be interested in "Playboy" or other nudity, anyway?). I would not give it more than 5/10.

• Like 1

Just watched the third episode of the lottery well I gave it a go but ,no it's useless, better things to watch

I fully support your decision! smile.png

I made it to episode 4 (half), then I gave up, too. It is simply too boring and, what was the word that I learned recently, very "woman-centric". In the end, it is "lifetime" and they did not use their chance to find a broader audience. But as "The Honorable Woman" shows, it is possible to have a good show with all the main characters being female and without the male audience feeling the urge to commit suicide.

• Like 1

While I was back in the Old Country I picked up a few DVDs; mostly stuff that I've seen on the plane over the last many years and wanted to see again

- The Good the Bad and the Wierd

- Lust, Caution

- Amelie (of Montmartre)

and also an English version of L'Illusioniste; I'm not sure how they'll subtitle a film with no dialogue, though

SC

Amelie is a favourite movie of mine.

I'll have to check out The Good the Bad and The Weird. Looks interesting

Some quick notes:

Watched the pilot episode of The Knick last night. Very impressive acting, script, and production values. Those exterior shots of 1900 NYC street scenes are like time capsules from the Retronaut website come to life. How are you going to top that opening scene? Doped out doctor in an opium den, being awakened to go to his surgery job by slightly fuzzed out full frontally nude "Chinese" dope den attendant? This is going to be good. Hilarious piss-taking session between degenerate ambulance driver and old school nun, smoking a cigarette.

Still hanging with The Honourable Woman, mostly to see the George Smiley-like Stephen Rea character trying to make sense of this whole mess, kindly explaining it back to those of us who don't quite get it all, like me. Hysterical over-acting performances ("Give me my goddam Emmy right now!!") by Ms. Gyllenhall and her brother are stating to get tedious.

The weirdness is boiling over on The Bridge. I have to watch each episode three times to take it all in.

Tiny Ray Donovan Semi-SPOILER (not really, but you might think so.)

Jon Voight as Mickey, has almost completely taken over as the focus of Ray Donovan, Season 2. His best recent line: "I don' wanna peel carrots anymore, it's degrading! And I want a STIPEND! And I wanna see my grandkids!" He'll probably get those three wishes, and more besides, knowing the Mick, Ray's biggest headache, after his wife.

• Like 1

Tv shows:

A new show called "rush" 4 episodes in and it's pretty good.

Along with Fargo.

If you guys need a good site to watch stuff: www.g2g.fm better than putlocker with no adds or spam

Tried Rush and seemed to find myself in the midst of a slick 1980s disco crowd. :) All that expensive sleaze but not a naked tit to be seen anywhere; in fact the main squeeze revealed she's had a mastectomy! w00t.gif Stereotypical in most ways--unlike Fargo.

Maybe it gets better after the first episode, but I'll pass. Each to his own!

• Like 1

"Murder in the First" came to an surprisingly unspectacular ending. No word from TNT yet, wether Detectives Terry English and Hildy Mulligan (Taye Diggs and Kathleen Robertson, who I liked very much in "Boss") will return for season 2 to solve another murder case. I would not mind...

I don't think anyone will notice if it doesn't return..

Had a film fest yesterday. Using films with no subtitles to help the gf improve her English. It actually does work. It can also help to expand world knowledge. Last week, Schindlers List had a marked affect on her. She had never heard of the Holocaust and it also helped to explain some of my family history to her.

Chef - We both really enjoyed this one. Feel good nonsense but beautifully filmed. Gets a 7 from me.

Jaws - For the zillionth time. Dated and not as scary as before but still good.

Paul - Simon Pegg and Nick Frost on an alien fest holiday. Had my gf laughing out loud lots. Another good fun film

• Like 1

Had a film fest yesterday. Using films with no subtitles to help the gf improve her English. It actually does work. It can also help to expand world knowledge. Last week, Schindlers List had a marked affect on her. She had never heard of the Holocaust and it also helped to explain some of my family history to her.

Chef - We both really enjoyed this one. Feel good nonsense but beautifully filmed. Gets a 7 from me.

Paul - Simon Pegg and Nick Frost on an alien fest holiday. Had my gf laughing out loud lots. Another good fun film

You should get your wife to watch Sophies choice ,my wife was close to tears when she realized what her"choice" was

• Like 1

I don't think anyone will notice if it doesn't return..

Would not argue that, either. But Monday is a weak TV-day.

• Like 1

Finally watched the season-ending number eight episode of "Power." Words don't come easily after a spectacle and climax like that, but here are a few...Preposterous...Grossly Excessive...Ridiculous. And yet, it's so bad, it's good. Don't be offended if it's your favorite show. I'll be watching when it comes back. I can't help myself. The bad acting, coming from good actors (see the Tommy character, Tasha, and Boss DA Lavarro) is a sight and sound to behold. It's all set up to go even more crazy next time. Word up!

You should get your wife to watch Sophies choice ,my wife was close to tears when she realized what her"choice" was

It is on the list but I don't think she is read for it yet

Please Like Me. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2155025/

A quirky 6 episode Australian made and based comedy with Josh Thomas writing and starring. This one has some genuinely original and hilarious humour using Thomas's unique view of the world. IMO season 2 can only get better as it finds its slot and rhythm.

Please Like Me is back for season 2! Looks like a 10 episode second season for this Australian Comedy starring Josh Thomas.

Episode 1 is okay, hopefully builds up like it last season.

There is a Thai connection with Josh Thomas's dad having married a much younger Thai woman.

Sadly, for me, Caitlin Stasey is not in the show this season.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=caitlin+stasey&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ahTrU4L1N-fJigLljIGIDw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=804&bih=934

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

Please Like Me. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2155025/

A quirky 6 episode Australian made and based comedy with Josh Thomas writing and starring. This one has some genuinely original and hilarious humour using Thomas's unique view of the world. IMO season 2 can only get better as it finds its slot and rhythm.

Please Like Me is back for season 2! Looks like a 10 episode second season for this Australian Comedy

Episode 1 is okay, hopefully builds up like it last season.

Sadly, for me, Caitlin Stasey is not in the show this season.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=caitlin+stasey&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ahTrU4L1N-fJigLljIGIDw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=804&bih=934

I do not know this one, yet, but will have a look. Since "Rake" (the original, not the poor US-remake) I am all in for Australian comedy!

• Like 2

I wasn't crazy about The Purge. It starts out fine, but quickly turns into a bunch of people that you don't care about running from room to room trying to kill each other. It is mildly entertaining, but IMO, don't bother.

Yes a good summation. A good concept but far too holey. This is a bad horror movie, that is not really a horror movie. I did find it amusing the scene of the woman skipping down the hall in her long dress, machete by her side laugh.png

The actor who played the child in the family also has to go down as one of the most annoying roles of recent times. http://www.maxburkholder.com/resume.php. Of course the script is such that you want to take a dislike to the character

The Purge Anarchy (Purge 2) is now out!

This one is FAR better than the first, unusual for a sequel. It goes for a relatively unknown cast but works well

7/10 from me

I liked it too. VERY trashy entertainment, but that is not bad from time to time.

• Like 2

I see Franklin & Bash is back for a 4th season... This pleases me...

Tyrant was a bit of an awkward episode, looked like it had all the hallmarks of something decent and then it's spoiled by marital problems (I leave the spoilers to Frank tongue.png) but there's still hope for it if the character focus shifts.

Ray Donovan: Not sure who put the last comments up about it along with a potential spoiler, it wasn't really a spoiler but when you get to that line you go "oh yeah that's what he was talking about on Thai Visa" hahah tongue.png A good episode IMO. Ezra Goldman, senial bastard but pretty damned funny his line when talking to Ray about an issue, classic.

Thursday, my favourite day for Wednesday night TV shows biggrin.png

I'm still liking Tyrant.

IMO, it's worth watching just for the wife and daughter-in-law of the president.

• Like 2

I see Franklin & Bash is back for a 4th season... This pleases me...

Tyrant was a bit of an awkward episode, looked like it had all the hallmarks of something decent and then it's spoiled by marital problems (I leave the spoilers to Frank tongue.png) but there's still hope for it if the character focus shifts.

Ray Donovan: Not sure who put the last comments up about it along with a potential spoiler, it wasn't really a spoiler but when you get to that line you go "oh yeah that's what he was talking about on Thai Visa" hahah tongue.png A good episode IMO. Ezra Goldman, senial bastard but pretty damned funny his line when talking to Ray about an issue, classic.

Thursday, my favourite day for Wednesday night TV shows biggrin.png

Ray Donovan: The Ezra Goldman character...

Elliot Gould's role in this fine show is a bit of a mystery. He and Ray and Mickey, and dead actor Shaun Walker, and also Sully, were somehow all connected back in Boston, and now he's on top of the heap in Hollywood. He has recovered from his brain tumor, but seems to always be playing like he's going senile. One character says of him , "You don't say no to Ezra." Even Ray never says no to him. He's a dangerous man, but the series has never shown (yet) his truly dangerous side.

I remember him in his portrayal of Raymond Chandler's famous "gumshoe", Philip Marlowe, in Robert Altman's weird film, The Long Goodbye. He now says, at age 75, he wants to play Marlowe again, as a much older man. That has HBO possibilities. I think Dick Powell, Bogart of course, and Robert Mitchum were all better at being Marlowe, but he did bring something fresh to the role.

I wonder what happened to that nasty little Number Two guy that played so many great scenes against Ray last season. Maybe Stu ("I own this town!") is the placeholder now that that obnoxious character.

That last sentence should have read:

I wonder what happened to Ezra's nasty little Number Two guy that played so many great scenes against Ray last season. Maybe Stu ("I own this town!") Feldman is the placeholder now for that obnoxious character type.

Just finished watching walter , a one off police series(to come i hope) with a differance its a brit comedy /serious cop show ,i really enjoyed it ,as did the critics not pc or glamerous for the cops or their gay leader, try it its on the bay of pirates.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Watched it last night and enjoyed it somewhat, but still not sure what to make of it.

Will be giving episode 2 a crack.

Just finished watching walter , a one off police series(to come i hope) with a differance its a brit comedy /serious cop show ,i really enjoyed it ,as did the critics not pc or glamerous for the cops or their gay leader, try it its on the bay of pirates.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Watched it last night and enjoyed it somewhat, but still not sure what to make of it.

Will be giving episode 2 a crack.

No episode 2 it was a one off,but they may make a series,hope sp