What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

I was a big fan of early 1960's British social realist films...The L-Shaped Room; Room at the Top; Saturday Night and Sunday Morning; Look Back in Anger; This Sporting Life; and my all-time favorite The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. These sorts of films apparently went out of style, or perhaps couldn't get funding. The only filmmaker keeping that tradition alive that I know of is Ken Loach. Gary Oldham gave it a shot with Nil by Mouth, but that one was so nasty and mean spirited I had to quit after a half hour. Michael Caine in Harry Browne came close.

Just watched a good one that goes a little way toward reviving that great tradition, called Wasteland. A group of young semi-slackers from Leeds hatch a plot to knock over the kingdom of the local drug kingpin. It's a low budget "heist" film, told in an interesting way. The young unknown troupe of actors are all very good, and veteran character actor Timothy Spall anchors things as a compassionate policeman. Can't wait to see him in the new "Turner" film.

I had to struggle with the accents of the supporting cast. Fortunately the interview scenes between Spall and the young ringleader are clearly spoken. The only "bad" thing about the film is the unfortunate choice of title. Wasteland? Signifies nothing relating to the film that I can see.

A very worthy effort. Support your independent filmmakers when they do great work like this.

8-1/2

• Like 1

I was a big fan of early 1960's British social realist films...The L-Shaped Room; Room at the Top; Saturday Night and Sunday Morning; Look Back in Anger; This Sporting Life; and my all-time favorite The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. These sorts of films apparently went out of style, or perhaps couldn't get funding. The only filmmaker keeping that tradition alive that I know of is Ken Loach. Gary Oldham gave it a shot with Nil by Mouth, but that one was so nasty and mean spirited I had to quit after a half hour. Michael Caine in Harry Browne came close.

Just watched a good one that goes a little way toward reviving that great tradition, called Wasteland. A group of young semi-slackers from Leeds hatch a plot to knock over the kingdom of the local drug kingpin. It's a low budget "heist" film, told in an interesting way. The young unknown troupe of actors are all very good, and veteran character actor Timothy Spall anchors things as a compassionate policeman. Can't wait to see him in the new "Turner" film.

I had to struggle with the accents of the supporting cast. Fortunately the interview scenes between Spall and the young ringleader are clearly spoken. The only "bad" thing about the film is the unfortunate choice of title. Wasteland? Signifies nothing relating to the film that I can see.

A very worthy effort. Support your independent filmmakers when they do great work like this.

8-1/2

Wasteland is also known as The Rise.

Part 3 of "Page Eight: Salting the Battlefield" was for me a mild letdown, as they wrapped things up. It was almost enough to watch the tender scenes between Johnny and Margo. Judy Davis observes that Johnny (Bill Nighy, playing the role to perfection) is better at falling in love, than being in love.

Ralph Fiennes does a great job as the Prime Minister. The consummate politician, unfazed by scandal. Who did he model this role on?

This is another series where you've just got to suspend your quibbles, in favor of enjoying the great style and pace. Don't worry your head over how:

Johnny stays on the run for months, easily evading the all-out manhunt by MI5. Where does he get his money? He rents cars, buys tickets, pays for rooms, gets fake passports, etc. You just can't do that stuff without valid credit cards. He passes in and out of airports. With his distinctive face and way of moving, it seems they would be able to track him quite easily. And how does Rollo not get found out?

Still, it's a very enjoyable series. Hope to see Mr. Worricker again, and Margo (Helena Bonham Carter, what a fine lady!) too.

• Like 1

Just finished the series finale of Legends, and it ended interestingly, and seems more and more like the Bourne Identity. It was not riveting viewing, but my kinda show and got 57% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Do I think it will be renewed? Possibly, on the strength of Sean Bean. I surely hope so because I enjoyed that first season.

I liked it, except the last episode he was beaten to a pulp, but by the same evening, all he had was a slight split lip

I enjoyed Legends...and thanks for reminding me to watch the last episode of the season!

Part 3 of "Page Eight: Salting the Battlefield" was for me a mild letdown, as they wrapped things up. It was almost enough to watch the tender scenes between Johnny and Margo. Judy Davis observes that Johnny (Bill Nighy, playing the role to perfection) is better at falling in love, than being in love.

Ralph Fiennes does a great job as the Prime Minister. The consummate politician, unfazed by scandal. Who did he model this role on?

This is another series where you've just got to suspend your quibbles, in favor of enjoying the great style and pace. Don't worry your head over how:

Johnny stays on the run for months, easily evading the all-out manhunt by MI5. Where does he get his money? He rents cars, buys tickets, pays for rooms, gets fake passports, etc. You just can't do that stuff without valid credit cards. He passes in and out of airports. With his distinctive face and way of moving, it seems they would be able to track him quite easily. And how does Rollo not get found out?

Still, it's a very enjoyable series. Hope to see Mr. Worricker again, and Margo (Helena Bonham Carter, what a fine lady!) too.

I agree with the mild letdown sentiments for part 3.. First two installments were better but overall it was enjoyable

• Like 1

Just finished watching the first episode of The Embassy..

For the most part a typical rundown of how foreigners up in thailand, could've done without the surrogacy issue (probably done because it was a hot topic at the time)

Shows the public what our Aussie diplomats actually do, in case anyone thought they were just here on a working holiday.

Glad I can't watch it 'live' so can flick through the boring parts tongue.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BBXHdIQfzw

Edited to add in the youtube link to the full episode, no need to play with Pirates in the Bay...

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 2

Homeland Series 4.

Not sure if you watched this week's episode, but Carrie used her cougar techniques on that poor med student! Must watch Homeland episode.

claire-danes-feet-2-o.gif

No, only watched Episode 1 last night, will watch more tonight.

Homeland Series 4.

Not sure if you watched this week's episode, but Carrie used her cougar techniques on that poor med student! Must watch Homeland episode.

It's easy to see why she has received almost 10 emmys, golden globes, etc., and been nominated 15 times. She really is an excellent actress.

Edited by keemapoot

Homeland Series 4.

It's easy to see why she has received almost 10 emmys, golden globes, etc., and been nominated 15 times. She really is an excellent actress.

No more Brodie unfortunately. If you want to watch another excellent series (if you haven't already) try Ray Donovan, it's brilliant.

Edited by giddyup

Homeland Series 4.

claire-danes-feet-2-o.gif

I don't find Carrie attractive at all, but she actually got me a little horny when she seduced that poor kid. I got the feeling she just did it out of pure pragmatism as a spy, but that could - and probably will - change.

^That is what I meant about Claire Danes superior acting skills. Carrie was obviously looking for a hook to keep the kid at her apartment and as any good spy will do, uses every tool in her toolbox, but unsure if those tools were rusty - with one single look in the mirror at herself (assessing her desirability, age, and the chances should could seduce him and under what pretext) gave an emmy-winning scene performance. No dialogue needed at all.

• Like 1

Just started watching the new season of the popular Irish crime drama Love/Hate. Excellent show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvMkcoQr7K8

I agree. Just finished downloading Series 2, 3, 4 as I only caught the first series on TV. Pity they killed off Aidan Gillen as the crime boss, he was brilliant.

WOULD A FRICKIN SPOILER ALERT WARNING KILL YOU ?

Downton Abbey - am loving it!! A couple of years ago i had never watched it. I downloaded the first two series and did a mega watching of them and have been hooked ever since. I never watch it live on a Sunday night ( i hate ad breaks) but download it about an hour later without the ads. Lady Mary is getting a bit raunchy, what?!

And a one night stand no less!!!! Poor King George V must be turning in his grave.

Lady Mary goes Nympho and now her mom, Countess Grantham? What is Carson putting in the afternoon tea for the ladies at Grantham? Anyway, that was a good scrap for the old boy to prove he's still Lord of that manor. burp.gif

• Like 1

One more episode left of the Boardwalk Empire. This whole series of eight seems to be structured around showing us what happened to all of the mainstay characters, who we have been watching for five years. Interspersed with this are lengthy digressions to Nucky's childhood and early adulthood, showing us how a poor boy determined to make his way in the early Twentieth Century world of Robber Barons and Unfetterred Rapacity and Greed, gets drawn into the evil orbit of Atlantic City's Godfather, The "Commodore." Nucky is determined to make himself "useful", and rise above his squalid beginnings, and the Commodore grants him his wish, in spades.

The guy who plays Nucky as a young man looks like he could be Steve Buscemi's son. They have fitted him up with Nucky's very imperfect teeth, and he does a fine job as Early Nucky. I wish they had written the Patricia Arquette character into the series much earlier than Season 4. I would have much rather watched her sashay around, swinging those big hips, than to endure the insane doings of Gillian the Junky.

HBO went all out on quality for this production, and stuck with it for a long time. It has earned its place alongside such classics as The Wire, The Borgias, Deadwood, Rome, The Sopranos, and Breaking Bad. I hope Martin Scorsese and Mark Wahlberg will combine talents again for another great project. Congratulations to everyone involved with this series.

• Like 2

PS: re Boardwalk...

I just realized rapacity and greed are almost the same thing (after looking it up, as I should have done beforehand, sorry.) However, rapacity drives the greedy person to actively pursue the twisted object of lust and desire. From my reading of history, the super-rich capitalists of that day were about the same as the ones of today, in their drive to acquire, but they had an advantage in that there were relatively few regulations in their way.

By the time Nucky became the Boss of Atlantic City, he had to deal with many more impediments to gathering and keeping power and wealth, starting with the Prohibition Agency, which later morphed into the FBI.

I have been looking forward the the new version of "Left Behind". It is based on a series of books about The Rapture - all Christians are supposed to vanish from Earth at some point and ascend to heaven. I liked the books, although the first one was best and they went downhill the more that were written.

There was another movie done in 2000 that was pretty terrible. It was really hokey and seemed like a really lame TV movie from the 70s, rather than a serious film. This new one had a bigger budget and a big star - Nicholas Cage - so I thought it would be better, but it was very similar. It felt like watching a cheesy episode of the "Love Boat". I would give it 1 1/2 stars out of 5.

• Like 1

I have been looking forward the the new version of "Left Behind". It is based on a series of books about The Rapture - all Christians are supposed to vanish from Earth at some point and ascend to heaven. I liked the books, although the first one was best and they went downhill the more that were written.

There was another movie done in 2000 that was pretty terrible. It was really hokey and seemed like a really lame TV movie from the 70s, rather than a serious film. This new one had a bigger budget and a big star - Nicholas Cage - so I thought it would be better, but it was very similar. It felt like watching a cheesy episode of the "Love Boat". I would give it 1 1/2 stars out of 5.

I think you are being very generous giving it 1 1/2 stars, I would give it a big fat zero. Worst movie I've seen in a long time, boring, plodding plot and terrible acting. Nicholas Cage has scraped the bottom of the barrel with this one. I mean, didn't he read the script?

• Like 1