IMPORTANT--Pavlova

thainet

Hi guys. Strange question for some but the Kiwis and Aussies will be smacking their lips.

Does anyone know any restaurant serving Pavlova, or failing that Baked Alaska.

My daughter wants one or the other on her birthday, so Dad has to try to comply.

Thank you.

Obviously in Pattaya, but probably willing to travel to Bangkok.

Haven't heard of Baked alaska (must be Kiwi )

But have always thought of trying to make a Pavlova (might be fun with the kids ), but I know you would prefer it to be perfect on the day

1 minute ago, BEVUP said:

Haven't heard of Baked alaska (must be Kiwi )

But have always thought of trying to make a Pavlova (might be fun with the kids ), but I know you would prefer it to be perfect on the day

Baked Alaska has ice cream inside with meringue outer coating.

I can make Pavlova (with my pavlova egg) but should be the real thing at a restaurant..

3 minutes ago, torrzent said:

I would have a Pavlova-ian response if I knew what it was .  I thought that maybe this was   a Russian gogo lady?  Care to share what it is? Love, the "IMPORTANT"  title though....LOL

Yep, it's sought of a fluffy cake that's made out of egg whites & if your able to get a Pavalovian to jump out of it you may be able to remove the meringue outer coating from her 555

1 hour ago, thainet said:

Baked Alaska has ice cream inside with meringue outer coating.

I can make Pavlova (with my pavlova egg) but should be the real thing at a restaurant..

I used to love both but have never ever seen baked alaska here unfortunately but somewhere like Brunos or Cafe des Amis or Royal Cliff may do it for you as a special if you requested it?

I have seen mini Pavlovas in a couple of places in the past but the meringue was never very good.

More chance at an upmarket hotel in Bangkok  I would have thought.

Hi. Never seen in shops. Make myself far too often. Google recipe and have a go its super easy.. but... rule No.1 can not be made if there is a cloud in the sky. If occasion soon might have to be baked alaska as can be made with italian meringue different ball game. Suggest just ask at a restaurant you know if they will make to order. Good luck.

When I'm in Ireland I make fantastic Pavlova but any time I've tried to make it in Thailand its a failure. The egg whites in Thailand are very watery and not gooey so it's hard to whisk them. Others have told me that it's probably the humidity. Best of luck with your search.

"Mix" restaurants in Bangkok serve Baked Alaska. There are several locations. I had it at "The Shoppes" location, behind Central Rama 9. I recall that it was just average, as opposed to the rest of the menu which is always excellent at that location.

It was named in the early 19th century after the Russian prima ballerina Anna Pavlova.   To make the meringue hold, one uses a bit of cornflour.

As for the Alaska.  If you think that you could get a block of ice cream home quick enough.  Good luck to you!  I have made it many times and it has to go from the oven to the table at once.  For adults, it is quite often flambeed.

PityI'm not in Thailand.  I would make either one for you.

On 5/6/2018 at 8:43 PM, torrzent said:

I would have a Pavlova-ian response if I knew what it was .  I thought that maybe this was   a Russian gogo lady?  Care to share what it is? Love, the "IMPORTANT"  title though....LOL

..Good guess....   Pavlova is a meringue-based dessert named after the Russian ballerina AnnaPavlova. .

37 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

..Good guess....   Pavlova is a meringue-based dessert named after the Russian ballerina AnnaPavlova. .

Does it look like her or just swirl around and do a pirouette with your taste buds

And here I was thinking this was about that Russian sex seminar teacher with special knowledge of Trump's Tango in Tblisi (or wherever).

We need to have a quota system for threads with "emergency", "important" and "disaster" in the title.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You could make it with a pound of coal dust if you wanted! 

Gents,

Thank you all your interesting posts.

Anyway on Monday I made a pavlova with my 'pavlova egg' (google it). My daughter was fairly impressed, so on her birthday I will make one and take it to the restaurant...win win.

Thanks again...t

Archived