Motorcycle street racing: What happens when things go wrong - four dead

webfact

46 minutes ago, transam said:

Help what...My point was young folk will do what young folk do...I can remember what us young folk did and young folk still do what ever country it is..

They will never listen to reason, so what´s the only thing they fear (sorry, fear is the only thing, that works here) ?

I would show them all the smashed up heads from accidents, as they do on police-stations, but even that doesn´t phaze them, forget it.

Oh, i got it: a monk, who tells them, they get reborne as a cockroach, or even as a farang, or something . . .

Parents plant the "reborne-thing", we just have to make it non-desirable.

Why do you think, people blow themselfs up ?

It´s because of the 79 virgins waiting there !

Edited by starfish
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, shady86 said:

Stupiness paid by their own lives. As long as no innocent lives are involved, they deserved it.

Unfortunately there was an innocent involved. The poor pickup driver. Even though he was probably blameless I am sure he will be having flashbacks/sleepless nights pondering what could have been. He is a victim.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, shady86 said:

Stupiness paid by their own lives. As long as no innocent lives are involved, they deserved it.

Obviously I don't think this type of racing on the streets is the right thing to do, but your comment is really cold, heartless and uncalled for. Shame on you. Maybe you didn't have a childhood and did stupid things on a skateboard, a bicycle or a motorbike, (I actually feel sorry for you ).  Kids, have always done crazy and stupid things and you can't blame bad parenting most of the time. My parents didn't know how I was rolling down the road or what stupid and reckless stuff I was up to. 4 young lives were lost, RIP and condolences to their friends and families.

9 minutes ago, starfish said:

They will never listen to reason, so what´s the only thing they fear (sorry, fear is the only thing, that works here) ?

I would show them all the smashed up heads from accidents, as they do on police-stations, but even that doesn´t phaze them, forget it.

Oh, i got it: a monk, who tells them, they get reborne as a cockroach, or even as a farang, or something . . .

Parents plant the "reborne-thing", we just have to make it non-desirable.

Well.

If stupid bikers did come back as a Falang,  at least they would have a large penis.

instead of being,  a Large penis

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Horrific is truly the correct word.

I often hear (but don't see) racers on my island late at night on the weekend, and occasionally see the end results of racing as I go for a morning cycle; it is a terribly sad situation.

Kids will be kids, but one certainly has to wonder where the hell the parents are; well-brought up kids don't do idiotic things like this.

R.I.P.

Agreed...terrible thing to happen.

Up here in Isaan we also can hear the motorbikes racing at night, but they are not limited to the weekends...it's nightly. There are no manned police checkpoints in the evenings and no patrols that I have seen, so what is there to keep them in check? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

Up here in Isaan we also can hear the motorbikes racing at night, but they are not limited to the weekends...it's nightly. There are no manned police checkpoints in the evenings and no patrols that I have seen, so what is there to keep them in check

The only thing is the same as in the OP...death.

Crash happened at 2330 hrs, three died at 0100 hrs, another later in the morning. That should have given them enough time to indulge in a bit of hindsight. I don't know what sort of injuries they suffered but next time (not for these four guys, obviously), wear a damned helmet, at the very least. That way, your head isn't crushed to pulp and you get to live - but while carrying injuries for the rest of your life which would hopefully teach you a lesson or maybe even turn you into a road-safety advocate.

Edited by outsider

4 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

Up here in Isaan we also can hear the motorbikes racing at night, but they are not limited to the weekends...it's nightly. There are no manned police checkpoints in the evenings and no patrols that I have seen, so what is there to keep them in check? 

Absolutely correct.....There is no deterrent in LOS...When I was a kid doing stuff we knew where to go, out of folks way...

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"... but one certainly has to wonder where the hell the parents are; well-brought up kids don't do idiotic things like this."

No doubt, they were taught proper motorcycle riding by adhering to their parents' safety procedures:

1. Always leave your helmet at home.
2. Never wear sunglasses or any protective eye-wear; when riding toward bright sunlight, place one hand horizontally above the eyes to reduce glare.
3. Always check that the rear tail light is disconnected before riding at night.
4. Always answer Line or Facebook when entering an intersection.

5. Cross intersections diagonally.
6. Always ride in the same lane as opposing traffic to save time.

7. Always wear your amulet.

Edited by lifeincnx

3 hours ago, transam said:

I was young once, and I reckon many older guys here were too and street raced...Young folk can be rascals, we get through it or not...The young of LOS are no different to farangland for their buzz...

I was never much good at street racing. My bike only had a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer.

The boys with the 5 speed Derailleurs creamed it every time...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JAG said:

I was never much good at street racing. My bike only had a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer.

The boys with the 5 speed Derailleurs creamed it every time...

I had the same on a Raleigh Wayfarer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

Do you have red pickups? On second thought, any color will probably do.

I feel anaesthatised - every day there's more pointless nonsense in this country.

It's increasingly more difficult to feel any sense of sympathy or empathy for these clowns.

They made their choices.

My admiration is for the people who felt obliged (either professionally or as bystanders) to clean up the mess created by someone else. Kudos are due, I'd have gone home for a coffee.

• Like 2

In Chiang Mai, there are a few hoons who speed down Huay Kaew Rd just on midnight.   As about 70% of the motorcyclists will not wear a helmet after dark, I just hope these folk don't meet the same fate as last night's sorry lot.

But with zero traffic police patrolling, low fines, no bike confiscations, the carnage will continue.

:sad:

No surprise here. Many times, 9 to 10 pm, coming home from the football, 10 or 15 or even 20 boy laden motor bikes racing along the Buriram to Surin Road. Often wondered where they went. Now we know.

5 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

I feel sorry for the pick up driver, he has to live with this for the rest if his life when it appears he was at no fault...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I doubt he is in the slightest bit affected. The other day I told my handyman that two kids had been killed crashing their motorbike just down the road, he just laughed.

His main concern will be fixing up his battered truck.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

I feel anaesthatised - every day there's more pointless nonsense in this country.

It's increasingly more difficult to feel any sense of sympathy or empathy for these clowns.

They made their choices.

My admiration is for the people who felt obliged (either professionally or as bystanders) to clean up the mess created by someone else. Kudos are due, I'd have gone home for a coffee.

I am getting numb to it all too. Uncompassionately, my first thought was "Good. 4 more reckless idiots off the road."

My second thought was "these poor bloody medics out there every single night."

I wouldn't have the stomach for it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Horrific is truly the correct word.

I often hear (but don't see) racers on my island late at night on the weekend, and occasionally see the end results of racing as I go for a morning cycle; it is a terribly sad situation.

Kids will be kids, but one certainly has to wonder where the hell the parents are; well-brought up kids don't do idiotic things like this.

R.I.P.

"Red Bull!"  Get real.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, masuk said:

In Chiang Mai, there are a few hoons who speed down Huay Kaew Rd just on midnight.   As about 70% of the motorcyclists will not wear a helmet after dark, I just hope these folk don't meet the same fate as last night's sorry lot.

But with zero traffic police patrolling, low fines, no bike confiscations, the carnage will continue.

:sad:

4 Less potential killers on the road.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

Seriously ? I hope this isn't a widespread attitude.

Seriously. It seems to be a widespread attitude, I've heard about it several times.

I cringed too, but you just can't assess these people by comparing them to yourself. Madness lies down that road. They are not the same.

11 minutes ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

I am getting numb to it all too. Uncompassionately, my first thought was "Good. 4 more reckless idiots off the road."

My second thought was "these poor bloody medics out there every single night."

I wouldn't have the stomach for it. 

Nor me friend, which is why I would have ambled off home for a coffee. Still, there is some comfort in knowing that Thais doing this job don't think about it very much, they don't think about anything very much, it's all on auto-pilot. No thought or compassion required.

I kid you not, what I say here is correct, they're on auto-pilot most of the time which explains a great deal about the way they behave.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

I was well brought up but my UK parents never knew what I was up to at that age..

Me too. My folks were straight laced, law abiding god fearing folks. If they knew half of the stuff I got up to they would have had heart attacks. You just can't watch kids 24/7. Try to teach them right from wrong and treat or punish them when they do but you got to let them learn for themselves.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shady86 said:

With other words those who luckily survived may give us the pleasure by creating posts similar to yours ....:thumbsup:

RIP

Edited by ttrd