Windows 10 very slow loading

yardrunner

My desktop computer was getting slower and slower on loading and after the spring update it was taking 10 minutes to load, after using my antivirus, disk clean up and registry cleaner software with no improvement I went down to my local computer shop and the man said you need a new hard drive.

I queried this thinking that he was trying to sell me something i didn't need but he explained to  me that he would install a new solid state hard drive and put the operating system on that but that the original hard drive would be left on the machine for storage.I told him to carry on and the result was brilliant, the operating system now loads in 20 seconds and i have a lot more storage which is great

Good to read you are happy with the SSD now.

BUT: 10 minutes with the previous hard-disk sounds like there was (and probably is) a serious problem with that.

I would be somewhat cautious with the old disk, do backup and thorough testing.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Agree with KhunBENQ.   10 minutes for boot-up time is really long....probably a sign your hard drive had a serious problem.

A SSD can definitely speed-up the boot-up process, "especially on older/low horsepower computers," as I have installed 4 SSDs in my various laptops over the last 3 to 4 years...and two of these computers were 10  year old/low horsepower laptops.

SSDs in these "older/low horsepower" laptops made their boot-up time decrease from around 60-90 seconds to around 30-45 seconds. 

For my new/high horsepower laptops the boot-up time was also decreased but not by a massive amount....but I still could easily see and feel a much snappier computer.   With these new/high horsepower laptops the boot-up time was around 30 seconds with the old/original hard drives, but with a SSD their boot-up time is around 15-20 seconds.

And of course each computer boot-up time will also depend on how many and type of software programs are loading, horsepower of the hardware, etc. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pib said:

Agree with KhunBENQ.   10 minutes for boot-up time is really long....probably a sign your hard drive had a serious problem.

A SSD can definitely speed-up the boot-up process, "especially on older/low horsepower computers," as I have installed 4 SSDs in my various laptops over the last 3 to 4 years...and two of these computers were 10  year old/low horsepower laptops.

SSDs in these "older/low horsepower" laptops made their boot-up time decrease from around 60-90 seconds to around 30-45 seconds. 

For my new/high horsepower laptops the boot-up time was also decreased but not by a massive amount....but I still could easily see and feel a much snappier computer.   With these new/high horsepower laptops the boot-up time was around 30 seconds with the old/original hard drives, but with a SSD their boot-up time is around 15-20 seconds.

And of course each computer boot-up time will also depend on how many and type of software programs are loading, horsepower of the hardware, etc. 

Such a problem right after the April update could be anything related to the new OS, a driver that doesn't work, etc..

There are various programs to check the health of a hard drive.

Here's some information:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/check-hard-disk-health-windows/

• Like 1

OP,

After rereading your post, how long did you computer take to boot "before" the Win 10 April update? 

If for example it was say 1 to 2 minutes, but 10 minutes after the update, then you probably just had a corrupted Windows update installation which can definitely cause a computer and cause all types of other problems.

And where you say the tech moved Windows to the SSD, well, he must have "reinstalled" Windows which could have got rid of the corruption problem....would have got rid of the corruption problem even reinstalling it on the old hard drive.

somtamjames,

Cloning a drive doesn't take long....can be easily done in 30 minutes or so....I've done it many times on my computers when swapping out hard drives for SSDs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

OP,

After rereading your post, how long did you computer take to boot "before" the Win 10 April update? 

If for example it was say 1 to 2 minutes, but 10 minutes after the update, then you probably just had a corrupted Windows update installation which can definitely cause a computer and cause all types of other problems.

And where you say the tech moved Windows to the SSD, well, he must have "reinstalled" Windows which could have got rid of the corruption problem....would have got rid of the corruption problem even reinstalling it on the old hard drive.

somtamjames,

Cloning a drive doesn't take long....can be easily done in 30 minutes or so....I've done it many times on my computers when swapping out hard drives for SSDs.

It took 14 hours for a 1 TB drive, done at a computer shop. But the disc had a problem, that's why it was done. 

Cloning a defective drive to a new drive is a bit-by-bit transfer process and any corrupted files on the old drive would just be cloned to the new drive.   The bad/corrupted bits/files are just cloned to the new drive...then you have corrupted files on your new drive.   Now when I say files I mean software/data you have installed.  Not the low-level physical formatting of the drive....like how you must first partition and format a drive before you install any software/data.

But if the files on the old drive was "not" corrupted  and the core problem on the old drive was electronics and/or bad low level formatting then after the cloning to the new drive then a person should be good to go with a fully functional drive.

On 5/7/2018 at 4:51 PM, somtamjames said:

OP, how long did the shop need to do the job?

Cloning a disc takes forever, are you sure that you still have an activated version? 

three hours before i got the computer back