Thai DDC announces success in treating Hepatitis C

webfact

DDC announces success in treating Hepatitis C

PNSOC610508001000101_08052018_105430.jpg

BANGKOK, 8 May 2018 (NNT) – The Department of Disease Control (DDC) has announced success from research into a new Hepatitis C remedy based on Sofosbuvir-Ledipasvir, which has proven to be effective on 97-100 percent of those treated. 

DDC Director-General Dr. Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai and head of clinical research into HIV and Hepatitis C at the Drugs for Neglected Diseases Initiative (DNDi) Dr. Isabelle Andrieux-Meyer announced success in finding a treatment for the Hepatitis C virus, a major cause of chronic liver disease and liver cancer. 

DNDi worked with the health ministries of Thailand and Malaysia between 2016 and 2017 to conduct the second and third phase clinical tests for the treatment at 10 hospitals. The test focused on the effectiveness of combining Sofosbuvir and Ledipasvir and provided the drugs to patients at different stages of liver disease resulting from Hepatitis C. Test results showed a 97 percent success rate, even among those suffering from chronic liver disease. 

Up to 96 percent of those with liver disease from Hepatitis C saw recovery while 97 percent of those with the disease due to the HIV virus also saw the ailment reversed. 

Researchers noted the drug combination is not highly priced and that research will continue to expand its success to more strains of Hepatitis.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-05-08

What? I'm the 1st to post on something , finally. Ok, well, I hope I do a good job. Knowing a bit about Hep B and C (working in the Medical field for 20 years) I was innoculated against Hep B 3 times, doing the series of 3 injections and each followed up by blood tests. At the end of each  series the final blood test showed negitive for Hep B anti-bodies. Hmmm?    Picked up a Herpes STD from a girlfriend, about 2003, today , it has been non-existant for the last 9 years..Hmmm?    Gave some blood back in 2002, they said I had hep C..yet today I have no symptons...Hmmm?

My conclusion to all this, and it does make 100% good sense, (to me) because of my Chilis and Tumeric intake, these signs and symptoms have all been extracted from my system. So, I'm not giving much credit to this DDC study. In fact, I bet their study includes taking alot of dangerous drugs that have multitudes of side effects, that could or will cause worse problems. I started a thread on Tumeric  a long time ago here, look for it, its a pretty good deal compaired to the untold damage from drugs.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Darcula said:

someone beat you to it.

Yes. But Harvoni's total treatment cost is $94,500 for a 12-week regimen.

Maybe the new research into a new Hepatitis C remedy based on the same ingredients as Harvoni will substantially lower the treatment cost, ie., as generic sofosbuvir-ledipasvir prescription.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darcula said:

Congratulations, but someone beat you to it.

bottle-ledipasvir-sofosbuvir-emharvoniem

See TV commercials pitching Harvoni all the time on television in the U.S., and have seen them for the past several years.

Ledipasvir/sofosbuvir was approved for medical use in the United States in 2014.[1] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ledipasvir/sofosbuvir

Nice to see Thailand is trying to catch up with the rest of the world. :sleep:

• Haha 1

Even though it was approved for use in the US in 2014, it's not important.

I suspect that it's all about show from the current administration.

The DDC would, I strongly suspect, have known about the efficacy of Harvoni, & therefore knew their "Clinical Trials" :laugh:would be very successful.

Then, they tell everyone what good work they've done.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Darcula said:

Congratulations, but someone beat you to it.

bottle-ledipasvir-sofosbuvir-emharvoniem

been available in Australia for some time now , very little cost to those infected via gp onto our medicare approx $8 per bottle Name EPCLUSA TABLETS> ( registered trademark ) take over a 3 month period total cost = $24.. well advertised under gp doctors Australia, program success rate approx 97% , thailand got that right , Thailand certainly did not invent? maybe thailand is licensing manufacture of the pharmaceutical product ???

Edited by Mad mick
miss spelt
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

The boy who cried wolf...

If Thais constantly claim to have invented or discovered things because they feel they must have the limelight, and it repeatedly turns out not to be true, how can you blame people for being sceptical when yet another miracle cure is claimed?

Hardly Thai-bashing, it's the real world here, not some fantasy Shangri-La. Thais lie about stuff from time to time.

Bit rude.

I posted what I did, as Harvoni is already a success, & before some people posting negative comments, maybe they ought to check a few facts.

2 minutes ago, faraday said:

Bit rude.

I posted what I did, as Harvoni is already a success, & before some people posting negative comments, maybe they ought to check a few facts.

Can't blame people for learning from experience my friend. Thais tell porkie pies - usually lots of great big ones. And we know that precisely because we did check the odd fact. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it rude. Not in the real world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Can't blame people for learning from experience my friend. Thais tell porkie pies - usually lots of great big ones. And we know that precisely because we did check the odd fact. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it rude. Not in the real world.

everyone on the planet tells porky pies .

9 minutes ago, faraday said:

Bit rude.

Besides:

'Dr. Isabelle Andrieux-Meyer announced success in finding a treatment for the Hepatitis C virus, a major cause of chronic liver disease and liver cancer.'

If the purported cure is already a success, why all the hullabaloo about finding a cure, if not to try and put Thais at centre-stage.

Lots of people on TV have seen it all before.

AIDS, Bird Flu', Ebola, Dengue... the list of infamy, lies and attention-seeking just goes on and on. Just because you choose not to see the real nature of Thais, doesn't make everyone blind to it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mad mick said:

everyone on the planet tells porky pies .

With respect, that's like saying that everyone on the planet has buttocks. It's just a touch obvious.

It's a question of degree, severity and (imho) fraudulent intent. If you look through the posts on this thread, I think you'll find quite a few people with similar comments. And just a few gullibles (apparently) prepared to believe almost anything. For reasons of their own which I personally don't care about.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

In post #10, I went on to explain my thoughts as to the reason why they are doing this.

I posted 'bit rude' as I considered your opening remark to be so. It was unnecessary.

34 minutes ago, Mad mick said:

maybe thailand is licensing manufacture of the pharmaceutical product ???

I suspect this is the reason for the trials. Not that Thailand was trying to discover a new drug.

Thailand produces a number generic drugs for domestic use only that are incredibly cheap.

To do so, Thailand's DDC, a counterpart to the US FDA, probably has to conduct trials on the efficacy of a generic Harvoni in order to comply with drug regulations and to produce the generic version solely for use in Thailand. Albeit, it's a foregone trial result as the generic is nothing different that Harvoni's ingredients (nonactive "buffers" used to facilitate production and shelf life may be different).

6 minutes ago, faraday said:

In post #10, I went on to explain my thoughts as to the reason why they are doing this.

I posted 'bit rude' as I considered your opening remark to be so. It was unnecessary.

Not in my opinion, but then I wasn't the one who felt demeaned by it I suppose. That's the funny thing about believing bald-faced lies and deliberate distortions, you get laughed at.

Over and out.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

5 minutes ago, faraday said:

You're somewhat like a whiny child, always wanting to be right.

Enough now.

You can't say "enough now", he's already tried to end the conversation !! 

8 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Not in my opinion, but then I wasn't the one who felt demeaned by it I suppose. That's the funny thing about believing bald-faced lies and deliberate distortions, you get laughed at.

Over and out.

You can't say "over and out"..

It's either "over" expecting a reply, or it's "out" conversation finished..

Come now kids, sort it out :passifier:

• Haha 2

The  media report does  not say that Thai researchers  "invented" or "discovered"  this treatment. It  does say  a  combined Thai/ Malaysian research has confirmed the  ingredients have  achieved a very significant cure  rate.

WHO sponsored  field  trials  for many  medicines are often carried  out  in  geographical locations which  have a  high  incidence of an endemic disease basically  because  it  provides more  indicitive  statistical outcomes.

Given that  Hep C  is  an  insidious  disease  with longer  term major risk then  anyone  living in places such as Thailand should realistically be supportive  of  this news with  special  regard to  children  born infected.