Plan To Marry Tgf Then Have Her Come To Usa

I'm an US citizen living here in Northern California. I am 34 years old and I plan to get married (hopefully sometime next year) in Thailand to a Thai woman (age 30) who works as a registered nurse; afterwards she plans on moving here in the US. I researched the US consulate in Bangkok and US Immigration (USCIS.gov) and sort of understand what forms need to get filled out prior to getting married and what forms to fill afterwards, like the petition form I-130, etc. Has anyone out there done it this way (get married in Thailand AND THEN apply for immigrant visa for Thai wife to come to USA). If so, please reply....I'd like to know how your experience went and also how long that process took for you; any suggestions will kindly be appreciated. Thanks again in advanced.

GKR

Hello and thanks for the response dr_Pat_Pong:

In short, I have known her for about 10 months now. I met her through a family member that lives in Thailand. We starteed to email each other in August of 2003. I have met her personally in March 2004 (we took vacation in Koh Chang Island). As far as getting married to her, it is sort of like an arrrangement between my family and her family.

Don't marry first in Thailand. It is a much more difficult process.

Apply for a Fiance Visa (I-129?). Bunch of forms. Your work history, her work history, police report, birth certificate, etc. Affidavit of Support (i.e. you can support her and she won't apply for Government benefits)

It takes maybe 6 months for approval. Very few people are turned down especially if the Thai has a good job and college degree.

She will get a visa for 3 months to the U.S. during which time you are to marry. After marrying in the U.S., you apply for adjustment of status (I-485). AOS takes from 6 months to 4 years depending on the backlog at your local INS office. Once AOS is complete, she will get a 2 year conditional green card. After 2 years, she gets a 10 year green card.

While waiting for AOS, she can get a work permit and social security number. Should she travel outside the U.S. before getting her green card, you will need to apply for advanced parole. Each of these are separate application. Work permit and advanced parole are good for 1 year and cost about $100 each.

P.S. "As far as getting married to her, it is sort of like an arrrangement between my family and her family" DON'T go around saying this. You will not be approved if INS suspects a "financial arrangement". You will have an AOS interview.

Thanks for the reply CTM:

Fiance Visa is an alternative I am willing to look at. But in truth, any way you go, dealing with the INS, Immigration of any country is a difficult process. All that is needed is patience and I believe we have that.

What I am interested here by posting this thread is to have people who has completed process of,1st, getting married in Thailand and then applying for a petition for an immigrant visa for spouse to enter USA. I'd like to hear it from the experienced who has gone through it (just to have a feel of what I am getting into). And if fiance visa is a better way then I'll go that route.

Thank you for YOUR advised though, it is much appreciated, about the "financial arrangement"...I would agree we would be at a disadvantage if they see it like that. Thanks again CTM

The INS wants to see proof she will not become a 'burden to society' (American). Getting someone, not personally involved, to vouch for her integrity is always a plus. My first hand knowledge of this is limited to writing a letter on behalf of the couple, citing my police officer and former elected official capacities, vouching for the woman whom I had known for some time. She breezed through.

Another plus is she is a nurse, a vocation in very high demand in America.

Thanks for the reply there Snark:

I doubt she will be a burden to the Welfare system here in California. With getting a 3rd party to vouch,did you mean someone there in Thailand? Or someone I know here in USA to write the letter, can you clarify please?

Yes it is good she is a registered nurse there. If all goes well and she immigrates here. We will have her improve on her speaking and comprehension on the English language then plan on having her continue to work here as an RN (will take time though and that process is just difficult as the visa process). I really appreciate your input. Thanks again

Thanks again for that reply Snark:

I definitely will have some sort of letter written when the time comes. She has studied English there but has no one to practice with. I encouraged her to find a school to improve on English and currently she is inprocess of finding a school.

As far as her possible nursing career here, this sight California Nurse Outreachhas specifics instruction for overseas nurses I am sure she will need further education here. Surely I will note to myself to keep you informed, thanks again Snark!

I have been involved in both married and fiancée visas and the fiancée visa is recommended both by me and also people in the business of obtaining visas.

A fiancée visa is about 6 months average and a married [wife] visa is 2 years or more.

A fiancée visa is about 6 months average and a married [wife]visa is 2 years or more.

That may be true at some place, at some time. But not all. My petition was returned approved in less than six months from my Florida filing. The visa process would not have taken more than a month or two more but decided to live here so dropped it. My understanding is that the new procedures in place are designed to make the spouse type as fast as the fiancées type. Perhaps that is by slowing down the fiancées visa though. :o

Thanks all who have replied with your suggestions and advise..they were all appreciated!

I have found a "one stop shop" for people like myself that are in simiar circumstances..great website for US citizens wanting information on K-1 fiance visa or k-3 spousal visa Visa Journey

Again, thanks all :o