Tutsi's Daily Market Adventure

tutsiwarrior

a red sun is risin' over the eastern prospect an' tutsi is returnin' from de market 0650am (5 min. walk...no bikes allowed inside)

1 kilo eggplant/aubergine 5 baht

1 kilo limes 34 baht

1.5 kilo asperagus 15 baht!!!

asperagus takes forever to grow and it is sooo cheap!!!...an equivalent weight in the UK or the US would be 10 x the price...

asperagus stir fried wid pork fat tonite...yum...

haveta get back to de baba ganoush an' toast de eggplant...

happy shoppin'!!!

yes...the asparagus stalks are quite large but, on inspection, can be sliced by half to add to de stir fry...

can't count the limes...the wife already took half to mama's fer her normal daily preparation...but, looked to be about 20 in the carrier bag (an environmentally conscienced tutsi takes his own carrier bags to de market, to the surprise and delight ob de market traders...)

yes...the asparagus stalks are quite large but, on inspection, can be sliced by half to add to de stir fry...

can't count the limes...the wife already took half to mama's fer her normal daily preparation...but, looked to be about 20 in the carrier bag (an environmentally conscienced tutsi takes his own carrier bags to de market, to the surprise and delight ob de market traders...)

I always knew you were a star, Tutsi.

• 3 weeks later...

I makes the baba too. Some neighbors get it, others think it tastes weird.

I roast the makeuah yao till the juice is already oozing out the ends, and the skins is dark and peel easy. I also roast the garlic (on a stick so they don't fall in the coals). Also roast some prik num to go in there too. It's kind of a California chile verde approach, meets usual baba, meets naam prik num. And of course a good measure of salt, white pepper, olive erl, and squeeze of lime juice. To them it appears like another vegetable dip - Tam Makeuah - but the salty-sour taste gives them a shock. Actually goes quite well with sticky rice....as we are in LOS.

I makes the baba too. Some neighbors get it, others think it tastes weird.

I roast the makeuah yao till the juice is already oozing out the ends, and the skins is dark and peel easy. I also roast the garlic (on a stick so they don't fall in the coals). Also roast some prik num to go in there too. It's kind of a California chile verde approach, meets usual baba, meets naam prik num. And of course a good measure of salt, white pepper, olive erl, and squeeze of lime juice. To them it appears like another vegetable dip - Tam Makeuah - but the salty-sour taste gives them a shock. Actually goes quite well with sticky rice....as we are in LOS.

a baba widdout no tahina??? se enojarian todos los santos del cielo!!! :o I do agree widde roasting bit...did it in de oven last time but next time over a brazier that the mom-in-law uses to roast little fishes...the blistering would make the eggplant easier to peel...could probly do sum pork guts an' chicken wings at de same time...

"a baba widdout no tahina??? se enojarian todos los santos del cielo!!! "

Ay buey, watcha gonna do ? My Romanian grandmother always made it without, so I have to admit I'm making a baba from a different tradition. I puts the tahini in the Hummus though... you just gotta. But to me the eggplant and other spices and vegetables need to come thru clear in the baba.

You know those of us who travel all over, or who are from mixed ethnicities end up putting different things together and 'interpreting.' Admittedly I'm from CA too, so I grew up with fusion. Though I do have a disdain for silly things like 'Thai peanut butter chicken bowtie pasta with coriander.' There are limits of what fusion should be allowed and what is just silly.

Don't overcook the asparagus! Also add baby sweetcorn, they go so well together...

thanks fer that suegha...I'll do it next time widde asparagus. Mebbe I'll get 'ol Nan to put it on her street stall menu...would go down a treat...get dem thais to eat healthy fer a change...den I would get to watch de burmese assistant switch her butt around while serving it up...an asparagus/baby sweet corn street stall thrill... :o

Don't overcook the asparagus! Also add baby sweetcorn, they go so well together...

thanks fer that suegha...I'll do it next time widde asparagus. Mebbe I'll get 'ol Nan to put it on her street stall menu...would go down a treat...get dem thais to eat healthy fer a change...den I would get to watch de burmese assistant switch her butt around while serving it up...an asparagus/baby sweet corn street stall thrill... :o

I can't tell if you are serious!

if I can get Nan's curvasious burmese assistant to disrobe widdout me wife findin' out I'll let you and the rest ob de folkes know...serious enuf???

if I can get Nan's curvasious burmese assistant to disrobe widdout me wife findin' out I'll let you and the rest ob de folkes know...serious enuf???

Yes!

15 baht for 1.5 kilo - sounds like a lot of BS to me - you are right in that asparagus is cheaper here than in the US but no way for 15 baht - Farmers market in Nakula yesterday was 100 baht per kilo

I couldn't believe it meself...I handed over de money for which dey were grateful...very nice cooked up wid bacon fat...an' de wife's family didn't want to eat it??? Maybe that's why so cheap...can't give it away to thais... :o probly has to do with the urine smell afterwards...probly think sum ghost got up their weenie...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

15 baht for 1.5 kilo - sounds like a lot of BS to me - you are right in that asparagus is cheaper here than in the US but no way for 15 baht - Farmers market in Nakula yesterday was 100 baht per kilo

I couldn't believe it meself...I handed over de money for which dey were grateful...very nice cooked up wid bacon fat...an' de wife's family didn't want to eat it??? Maybe that's why so cheap...can't give it away to thais... :o probly has to do with the urine smell afterwards...probly think sum ghost got up their weenie...

:D:D:D

Pee Pee oooooooooooooooo :D:D:D

Nah, I think Tutsi is on to something. I remember a Thai lady friend telling me that I shouldn't use too much nam pla when cooking as it made urine smell strong. (She had apparently just discovered this.) Heh, I wish the rest of the Thai cooks around here felt the same way. I've never been a big fan of salt in any form.

Nah, I think Tutsi is on to something. I remember a Thai lady friend telling me that I shouldn't use too much nam pla when cooking as it made urine smell strong. (She had apparently just discovered this.) Heh, I wish the rest of the Thai cooks around here felt the same way. I've never been a big fan of salt in any form.

me neither...I only use salt to adjust at the end ob cooking, not as an ingredient...de thais love nam pla an' douse evryting in dat stuff...I believe that it's the strong fish flavor that they're after...can't stand it meself, take sumpin' perfectly nice an' turn it inta a rotten, dead fish mishmash...den throw in de chiles... :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior