Advice Required - Windows XP

gkroo

I am currently running the above windows on my desk top but have recently encountered the following problem when trying to stream a video. A pop up appears saying "Low disc space,you are running out of disc space on windows XP(C:) to free up space on this drive by deleting old & unnecessary files" of which I have done already but still get that message ?? In looking at "My Computor" it tells me that my XP(C:) has total size 97.6 GB & free space = 0 bytes.

Is anyone able to offer me any constructive advice bearing in mind that I am not too computor illiterate !!! Thanks

That video streaming site could be faking you? They may try to install backdoor trojan / virus. Windows xp is not secure and you should not use it unless your computer is over 10 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

A similar thing happened to me a while ago, but not on Windows XP.   It was months, if not years, of Restore Points taking all the space because the amount of disc space for restore points was set ridiculously high. 

I deleted all but the latest restore point and moved the slider to decrease the amount of disc space the restore points could use,

This fixed the problem for me. 

Do a disk cleanup for a start:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/956324/how-to-reclaim-disk-space-on-a-windows-xp-or-windows-server-2003-based

It includes most of the known memory eaters (temp files, restore points...).

If after that it is still not sufficient the real search starts:

your self produced/saved stuff that is simply obsolete.

For effective search some helper tool is needed.

(but not before the XPs own disk cleanup is done)

Let us know what the result of the cleanup is.

P.S.:

as you wrote this post you use an internet browser.

Which one?

Do you know how to delete the cache?

This would be a quick ease to be able to continue with the cleanup work/search.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

That video streaming site could be faking you?

Somewhat unlikely as the OP says:

1 hour ago, gkroo said:

In looking at "My Computor" it tells me that my XP(C:) has total size 97.6 GB & free space = 0 bytes.

And also the popup sounds like a legit Windows "alarm" not from that streaming SW.

As this PC is probably ages old and has 100 GB only it's almost a natural law that it will run to this if one doesn't care/observe.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, gkroo said:

of which I have done already

If you used the ordinary delete from the Explorer you will just have moved it from the original place to the "Recycle Bin". Has no effect.

Recycle Bin!

That's the first thing to do.

Empty it! Or have you done already?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Khun Benq

"

P.S.:

Which one? Firefox

Do you know how to delete the cache? - No ?

This would be a quick ease to be able to continue with the cleanup work/search."

It sounds like, as the message suggests, you're running out of disk space on drive C:\.

You will have to look through your files and find those those you can delete or move somewhere else eg  photos, video files etc.

Also, I've used CCLeaner (Free) on Win XP to delete unnecessary files and free up disk space, which works well.

https://www.ccleaner.com/download

On 5/9/2018 at 3:03 PM, gkroo said:

Which one? Firefox

I have a 13 year old laptop running XP which refuses to die and won't run any later version of Windows. I don't recommend Internet Explorer, but Firefox can be updated to the latest version, so that's my browser of choice if I need to use it (though mostly nowadays I find the mobile more convenient for pretty much everything).