KLM jet makes precautionary landing in Phuket

webfact

KLM jet makes precautionary landing in Phuket

...after a passenger's mobile phone began to emit smoke.

By The Thaiger

2985dfbc-klm_boeing_777-200er_ph-bqh_sin

Newsinflight.com is reporting that a KLM Boeing 777-200, Flight KL 809 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, had to make a precautionary landing in Phuket, after smoke started filling the cabin when a passenger’s mobile phone ‘overheated’.

Witnesses report that there were no flames but plenty of smoke coming from the phone.

Reports say the crew ‘handled the situation well’ and the captain opted to land the aircraft as a precautionary measure. 

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/lifestyle/klm-boeing-777-makes-precautionary-landing-in-phuket

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-10

Smoke on plane from overheated phone forces Phuket landing

The Phuket News

1525924862_1-org.jpg

A new KLM Boeing 777-300 at Schiphol Airport. Photo: Patrick Kop / KLM

PHUKET: A KLM flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur was forced to divert to Phuket to make an unscheduled landing yesterday (May 9) after a passenger’s mobile phone overheated and started emitting smoke.

“We cleared the runway for this aeroplane to land,” Phuket International Airport General Manager Petch Chancharoen told The Phuket News today (May 10).

“The captain asked to make an urgent landing due to smoke in the passenger cabin at 12:41pm after the crew found a passenger’s phone heating up, causing the phone to emit smoke. There were no flames,” he added.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/smoke-on-plane-from-overheated-phone-forces-phuket-landing-67058.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-05-10

1 hour ago, JulesMad said:

Hopefully they let the phone owner pay for ALL damages, missed flights etc.  Phone start smoking??? Throw it in a bucket of water; problem solved!!! 

I was wondering the same. Is it really necessary to divert the plane and make an emergency landing for this? I presume protocol indicates that, but seems overdone to me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I was wondering the same. Is it really necessary to divert the plane and make an emergency landing for this? I presume protocol indicates that, but seems overdone to me.

The landing fee for a 777 can't be very cheap plus topping up the fuel to take off again. Remember the USA wanted all electronic devices in the hold and then we have the 787 lithium battery fiasco which isn't cured, they've just enclosed them in a metal container to contain the fire. Watch the al jazeera 787 documentary on utube.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Please...please give us the brand name  of that lovely (chinese ?)  smartphone !!!!....It is a matter of global public safety  !!

but wasn't it Korean phones (samsung) that had bad batteries?

3 hours ago, JulesMad said:

Hopefully they let the phone owner pay for ALL damages, missed flights etc.  Phone start smoking??? Throw it in a bucket of water; problem solved!!! 

I agree with your solution.

But in this specific case, I think the responsible is not the phone owner (it can happen beyond his control, right?) but rather either the pilot if it was his own call, or if he was following a written rule than those idiots who wrote it.

• Like 1

If I was KLM, all phones would be banned in the cabin and must be switched-off and checked in the main luggage for the duration of the journey. Since you cannot check everyone to see if they are clones or sub-standard, then every phone must be treated as sub-standard.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Richard Reid? Makes sense- very easy after the fact to decide it was a non-event but not at the time. It only takes a couple of ounces of PE. to bring an aircraft down

Flights are not the jolly time they used to be and I bet a few people were filling their pants.

Edited by Psimbo

Having flown extensively on business and pleasure during the smart phone era I have never felt the need to have it on during a flight. It goes off before boarding and stays off. Get some discipline into your lives people. The only exception to this rule was when I was piloting small aircraft myself over the desert or sea for safety reasons.