Apply for licence question

Hello,

Currenltly i live in hua hin, i whent to cha am to apply for a licence, i handed all my documents and shortly later i got asked to see the (boss) in his office...

He told me that my IDL was a fake and that i bought it on khoa san road ^^...

Anyway i explained hin that it's real but he did not listen and said he will inform my embassy 555.  

Anyway i then whent 30 kilomters to a different office and they verified the licence and all ok however it expires in 2 weeks so she said i need make the test, thats fine for me however she said is in thai only.

So here is my question if live in hua hin csn i do my licence in bangkok?

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Is it a fake...?

Of course not, the other office took it for 1 hour and they called around and send pictures, and it was confirmed that it is real.

I am not and idiot and use fske documents.

The second office told me that a lot complains exist against that guy.

34 minutes ago, Ejjeje said:

she said i need make the test, thats fine for me however she said is in thai only.

Complete nonsense. Of course there is an English set of test questions.

Also I am not aware of a minimum validity period for the IDP.

So either you are lost in translation or you really need to go to another office.

Basically you can go to every DLT.

Bangkok Chatuchak was recommended in the forum more than once.

From which country was your IDP ("International Driving Permit") issued?

Does it show "Convention .... 1949" or "... 1968" on the front page?

Valid for one year or three years?

The 1968 version is not officially acknowledged in Thailand.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Complete nonsense. Of course there is an English set of test questions.

So either you are lost in translation or you really need to go to another office.

Basically you can go to every DLT.

Bangkok Chatuchak was recommended in the forum more than once.

From which country was your IDP ("International Driving Permit") issued?

Does it show "Convention .... 1949" or "... 1968" on the front page?

Ok so even if i am in hua hin i can go to bangkok right?

Sorry i mean she said the (video or the teacher who speak) is only thai

The scoundrel in the first DLT Cha Am office was obviously looking for bribes...this is a typical trick to pretend a document is fake just to get a bribe.

I would call the anti-corruption bureau in Bangkok and get even with the rascal in charge of the Cha Am DLT office.

However, a friend of mine who had also got his drivers licence in Bangkok, but living in another city was once challenged at a Police Road Block, where one more corrupt rascal in uniform first asked him from where he got his licence and suddenly claimed that the licence was not valid in the area as it was from another city...totally grotesque, I agree. After a quick argument, he was let off with 200 THB less in his pocket.

Edited by observer90210
  • Confused 1

OK, so the "boss" is a bit stupid to tell you that is a fake.

There is a 1949 version issued UK, USA and many Asian countries.

The 1968 version is issued in many western European countries.

So it's just not acknowledged here.

Seems like they have been nitpicking on that since a while.

And unfortunately you have to expect that this is not better in Bangkok.

Maybe an order from the top.

Do you have a valid home country license?

Does it show English text (even additionally)?

In this case there is a slight chance that it might be accepted.

Otherwise indeed you would need a translation and maybe even a notarization by your embassy.

In the end it might be easier to go through the test from scratch.

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Both the scoundrels in the DLT offices were looking for bribes...this is a typical trick to pretend a document is fake just to get a bribe.

I would call the anti-corruption bureau in Bangkok and get even with the cheat in the Hua Hin DLT office for sure.

Disagree.

Like it or not it's the law.

It's bureaucrazy.

Yes maybe they can overlook the version of the IDP for a donation but nothing for anti-corruption etc.

Did the OP mention that he was hinted?

There are reports from other DLTs like Pattaya where the same happened, refused the 1968 version.

Edited by KhunBENQ

OP, did you also have and hand over a home license ? Its your home license that you use to get a Thai license, the IDP is only a translation document that accompanies your home license. Lots of people end up in thailand with only an IDP, thinking its a license then wonder why they cant use it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ejjeje said:

Sorry i mean she said the (video or the teacher who speak) is only thai

That's obvious.

I am not aware of any "foreigner only classes".

They are useless for you anyway.

Sit and try to stay awake.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its your home license that you use to get a Thai license

Under certain conditions like written in English or just "known".

A member described that his Australian license was accepted after he showed up with some explanation from the Australian office website.

UK and US seem to be accepted without question.

But the poster is not UK or US.

Otherwise a translation etc. is due.

Edited by KhunBENQ

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Disagree.

Like it or not it's the law.

It's bureaucrazy.

Yes maybe they can overlook the version of the IDP for a donation but nothing for anti-corruption etc.

Did the OP mention that he was hinted?

There are reports from other DLTs like Pattaya where the same happened, refused the 1968 version.

ok well sorry then I mistook donation with corruption .. my mistake :biggrin::jap:

Like i said the funny part is that the office 30 km away said it's perfect fine and valis since they took pictures and called somewhere.

I have as well showed hom my home licence but he said is not enough.

But the other office said i am not the first guy who complain  about him.

15 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Under certain conditions like written in English or just "known".

A member described that his Australian license was accepted after he showed up with some explanation from the Australian office website.

UK and US seem to be accepted without question.

But the poster is not UK or US.

Otherwise a translation etc. is due.

Yes , thats correct but there are lots of people who leave their actual license at home and think the IDP is a license and can be used to get a Thai license.

Its the most misunderstood document in the universe, you come to thailand and drive on your home license and use your home license to get a Thai license, the IDP accompanies your home licenses in case a translation is required (by police, DLT, rental company etc).

I know guys here that have done exactly that, gone to the DLT, tried to rent a car, police check etc,  and presented only their IDP and been refused because its only a translation document.

I got car and bike license in 2 different DLTs using only an Australian license, no IDP.

Edited by Peterw42

4 minutes ago, Ejjeje said:

Like i said the funny part is that the office 30 km away said it's perfect fine and valis since they took pictures and called somewhere.

And they wouldn't issue you a license because the IDP is running out in two weeks? Sounds strange.

Then you would be in a limbo.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Hmmm !

1 .just checked, been out of UK 25 years plastic card licence expired

2. must get around to getting Thai license, remiss in know especially as i have been here 18 years, but most of that wasnin BKK,

no car /Mc needed

3. only drive wifes motorcycle out in the sticks.Dont think shes got a license either

how would one get around this unfortunate problem at minimum inconvenience

4 minutes ago, poohy said:

Hmmm !

1 .just checked, been out of UK 25 years plastic card licence expired

2. must get around to getting Thai license, remiss in know especially as i have been here 18 years, but most of that wasnin BKK,

no car /Mc needed

3. only drive wifes motorcycle out in the sticks.Dont think shes got a license either

how would one get around this unfortunate problem at minimum inconvenience

Go to DLT, apply and do the required tests.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Go to DLT, apply and do the required tests.

Yep, it's not rocket science.

Some swatting of a selection of 90 questions out of which 50 are presented by the test computer. I recommend swatting because some q. are simply confusing/misleading.

See the pinned topics in the motor forum.

Driving on the yard is a joke. Take your wife for translation/explanation.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yep, it's not rocket science.

Some swatting of a selection of 90 questions out of which 50 are presented by the test computer. I recommend swatting because some q. are simply confusing/misleading.

See the pinned topics in the motor forum.

Driving on the yard is a joke. Take your wife for translation/explanation.

Thank you gentleman sadly that does not qualify in my book for minimum inconvenience i will research the matter and see if any other options come up .....dont like to rush into things

Best leave Mrs behind... my  Thai is ok and infinitely better than her driving skills , despite her being in street racing gang about 25 years ago, thinking about it,maybe thats why she doesn't have a licence 

1 minute ago, poohy said:

Thank you gentleman sadly that does not qualify in my book for minimum inconvenience i will research the matter and see if any other options come up .....dont like to rush into things

Best leave Mrs behind... my  Thai is ok and infinitely better than her driving skills , despite her being in street racing gang about 25 years ago, thinking about it,maybe thats why she doesn't have a licence 

Aaaaah, those saddled buffalo years, what memories.........:stoner: