What's eating my plants?

Since about 3 days some insects are eating my plants. Looks like small bird shit.

I already cut off all the leafes that were full of them, but they keep coming back.

How do i get rid of them? Any natural remedy or do i need the chemical stuff?

thanks, Chris

20180511_162113.jpg

Not sure. Possibly two different things, the bird shit may be exactly that, from birds going after the insect pest chewing the leaves. If so, you already have biological control going on. 

Try to identify the pest putting holes in the leaves, grasshopper, caterpillar, beetle. Look on underside of leaf, nightime, early morning. sometimes short lived and then they're gone. 

botanical pest repellents, citronella mosquito repellent, neem oil, Wood vinegar now at Home Pro,   

17 minutes ago, Chris747 said:

What's Neem?

Difficult to find but it's an extract from a neem tree (sadao in Thailand). Ask for 'Thai sadao'.

Organic as far as I know, Dr Treelove will know better than me.

Or you could try wood vinegar.

Edited by grollies

1 hour ago, Chris747 said:

What's Neem?

Neem seed oil extract is a liquid botanical concentrate that you mix with water and spray on the foliage. It's organic program compatible because it biodegrades in a couple of weeks so is not persistent in the environment. It's not really a poison like other insecticides, but a repellent, reproductive disruptor and anti-feedant. Like with most botanicals, it doesn't have a very long residual effectiveness, therefore repeated applications every week are necessary for an active pest infestation, two weeks for preventive maintenance. 

It's more and more available in Thailand, especially at farm supply shops, some plant nurseries and super stores, thanks to Thai Neem company.  I don't use Facebook, but they do, check it out. 

What they are selling primarily is the Azadirachtin concentrate, the most potent of the many biochemical components of neem oil. 

I have not been able to find clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil (70% Neem Oil) which is an effective insecticide, miticide and fungicide, and much cheaper than the Azadirachtin solutions.

https://www.thaineem.co.th/

• Like 1

On 11/5/2561 at 7:08 PM, grollies said:

Difficult to find but it's an extract from a neem tree (sadao in Thailand). Ask for 'Thai sadao'.

Organic as far as I know, Dr Treelove will know better than me.

Or you could try wood vinegar.

Neem oil comes from Berries of the Neem tree, they are about this time of year, oil is extracted from the berries,

In Thai it would be Nam-Man-Sadao.

Wood vinegar would be Nam-Som-Kwun-Mie in Thai (I think ),both would be organic.

Try Nanagarden .com ,(if you can get the English translation ) for Neem oil.

• Thanks 1

this is one of several large nocturnal beetle species, I'm currently trying to trap them also, you will not see them as they only come out at night and burrow in the dirt during the day I think..  You know it is this kind because of the large poop and the entire decimation of all new flushes of leaves overnight.

I build some containers with funnels leading in, put sugar, yeast, and fruit and the smell apparently attracts them in and then they drown.  Been a few days, maybe not smelly enough not sure.  I used molasses instead of sugar and now I can't see anything, I should have used sugar.

• Like 1