Wanted: Kindergarten teacher 4,000 baht a month - Thai social media goes bonkers

webfact

3 minutes ago, kaorop said:

so thai schools are better than scotish and ballroom dancing is bad..

right, got ya..you really gone bush.

Ballroom dancing is not what a normal 17 year old boy should be wanting to do.

Scottish schools used to be the best in the world. The Queen of England even sent her sons  there.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MartinL said:

My wife retired as an ordinary classroom teacher, with almost 40 years service, a couple of years ago on a final salary of 78,000฿ a month and now on a pension of 39,000.

Where? 

16 hours ago, nikmar said:

Is right. I inerviewed a potential English teacher asst. once. She couldnt speak ANY English, not even to say where she was from. In the end she started crying but got the job over other better candidates as her sister was a teacher within the school. 

Yes, nepotism too. I got a good job once because of who my mother knew.

22 hours ago, mikebell said:

Now we know why Thai Education is in a downward spiral.  Principleless principals cashing in.  My stepdaughter applied locally for a teaching job.  The principal was interested but only if I would teach part-time for nothing.  I agreed.

We then received back-word that another had been hired after an under-the-table payment had been paid.  The successful candidate bragged it had cost her/family 300,000.

So one example you are extrapolating out to condemn the whole thai education system?

Why am I not surprised

48 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Scottish schools used to be the best in the world. The Queen of England even sent her sons  there.

Just because her husband went there. 

Mind you I think the future King William went to uni. there.

I agree re the dancing. One problem with sons at Thai schools is that they often encourage being effeminate. Luckily mine graduated as real men, but with more of an acceptance of gays, which is of course a good thing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MartinL said:

My wife retired as an ordinary classroom teacher, with almost 40 years service, a couple of years ago on a final salary of 78,000฿ a month and now on a pension of 39,000.

A Thai government teacher? Should be impossible. What is her rank?

Edit: Actually my impression of Thai teacher salary (and probably of most others) was wrong, i always thought their salary was quite low. But actually it's way higher than for example in the Army

1432308011.jpg.30c512490a83623d97312329cd17b8df.jpg

A "teacher assistent" starts at 15k already, and with highest rank and maximum years it's 76k (these are all just teacher ranks, this doesn't mean working in education ministry or stuff like that)

Edited by jackdd

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Edit: Actually my impression of Thai teacher salary (and probably of most others) was wrong, i always thought their salary was quite low. But actually it's way higher than for example in the Army

A "teacher assistent" starts at 15k already, and with highest rank and maximum years it's 76k (these are all just teacher ranks, this doesn't mean working in education ministry or stuff like that)

Where it gets confusing is charts like this only state basic salary. They don't include legal extras. For example, my wife is an official and a table like this would state her basic salary, but the actual money that ends up in her account is quite a bit higher. Maybe that's what happened here, things like position, house rental/mortgage assistance end up being incorrectly included in the monthly 'basic salary'. I think it is only 11 people in Thailand who are C10 in Education (work as directors/ministry, I doubt if any classroom teachers are). Many teachers retire C8. To get to C9 is quite hard for a classroom teacher, I think you need to have received an award at a national level, not just a provincial level award. 

So for a tiny minority of teachers, 78,000 isn't out of the question, but it isn't her actual final salary that her pension is taken from as the chart shows. Would need to know how many years as an official and rank to know the actual final salary from the 39,000 pension (final salary x years experience divide 50). Teachers also easier to move up ranks than other departments as they don't need to test to move up (other than going from C8-C9 where you need the award). 

The wife if passes a test to get to C8, final salary can be 78,000 (not a teacher), but her pension 55,000. Years experience makes a big difference. If cant pass test stays C7, 49,000 salary and pension 34,000. But she would be hitting that aged 42 (in 12 years), so passing the test is important or its 18 years of no pay rise just to get a higher pension. 

Edited by wildewillie89

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

He's telling porkies. NO WAY a normal Thai teacher gets 78k a month.

Anuban teacher's assistants usually make 6 k/month, even at small schools.

But this position was for a teacher with a degree. What happened to the salary of the teachers who left? Let me guess the director builds a new house? :vampire:

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

For all of you that said it's impossible... read the chart above and then ad such things like bonus and other activities that are paid for, then you get to 80-100,000 a month. And I don't know who said that I was bonkers as his wife was high ranking government official and didn't earn that much money... My friend, he has worked as director and has achieved a really high rank as government official, comparing to military rank then it would be Lieutenant General (NATO OF-8) and he has a คศ.๕ (Kor Sor 5)... he makes over 150,000 a month.
Because what you have to remember is that everything affect the salary levels:
Teacher level (คศ.1 - คศ.5)
Then rank achieved (OF-1 - OF-10)
The educational background (Bachelor, Masters or PhD.)
For example with education, my friend finished her Ed.D. and when she got that recognized by the MoE her salary went up with over 10,000 Baht, not by passing to another teacher level just the fact that she had passed her Doctoral degree. This is because the minimum salary if you have a BA, MA or PhD is different.

So yeah, there are Thai teachers earning peanuts and there are Thai teachers that earn way more than what the average foreigner here are earning!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

So yeah, there are Thai teachers earning peanuts and there are Thai teachers that earn way more than what the average foreigner here are earning!!!

My pal, who left school aged 16, with no degree earns 180,000 a month teaching Chinese 5 year olds in his underpants, online, wearing Mickey Mouse ears.  

• Like 1

So Kor Sor 5 is top salary is 76,000 per month. The extra position money (legal) is 13,000 per month. Making it 89,000. Only one person in the last 10 years has got to this 76,000 salary (according to the Office of Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education), 

Anything more than this regardless of education is not exactly clean money or if it is, it isn't a consistent monthly income. As Masters, PhD etc only allow you to move up the table posted earlier anyway. For example, you can be up the top of C8 and cant get to C9 as most teachers cant, no further education is helping your pay as you are already up the top of the table. Also the pension only relates to the table previously posted. 

Edited by wildewillie89

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

..lol...."not normal" you do realize in a few years it will be you that is "not normal" hope you are around to face the biggotry you so profoundly express..

3 hours ago, Johnniey said:

My pal, who left school aged 16, with no degree earns 180,000 a month teaching Chinese 5 year olds in his underpants, online, wearing Mickey Mouse ears.  

proof or troll? sux to be called out so easy, hey?

21 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

So one example you are extrapolating out to condemn the whole thai education system?

Why am I not surprised

It might have escaped your notice but Thai schools, particularly outside Bangkok are dire.   Similarly all the recently published exam results/league tables for Thai schools/universities confirm massive failure.  I have just postulated ONE possible reason for this.  If you check back in the media you will find other examples of principals taking money for entry.  My one example happened to me personally.  Take off your rose-coloured spectacles.  Thai Education is as oxymoronic as Military Intelligence.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kaorop said:

..lol...."not normal" you do realize in a few years it will be you that is "not normal" hope you are around to face the biggotry you so profoundly express..

I can't wait. In a few years, I'll be laughed at for not doing ballroom dancing :cheesy: I'm not a bigot, I hope you just don't know the meaning of the word.

I had no idea that this dancing is due to become so big in the future.

Maybe you did Morris dancing when you were young, which has scarred to for life.

20 hours ago, Johnniey said:

$25 an hour for these schools. So that would be something like 60 hours a week. 

8 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Principals/Directors certainty take money for entry at the big government schools. The biggest government primary school in my city has asked for anywhere between 5,000-20,000 baht to be put in an envelope if the student didn't pick the right coloured piece of paper to make the 'quota'. A work colleague was asked for 20,000 for their son, a cousin asked for 5,000 (quite intelligent). My nephew (not so intelligent) was asked for 15,000. Father-in-law (his prime carer), called another director friend of a government school to fix that, which led to the new school's director's secretary calling him and asking him to put what he thought was appropriate. A further phone call (which included the title of the father's name - ex-army) from the other director and the mentioning of the risks of asking money from him, led the new school's director personally calling the father-in-law himself and telling him his grandson was more than welcome to study at the school with no extra charge. Education isn't amazing by our standards, but it is better than the schools that people are forced to send their kids as they cant afford this initial amount. People are kidding themselves if they think the majority of government schools are any good. Results speak for themselves. 

I've been asked for much more than that. One actually said that he'd never been to my country. 100k would cover his trip!

These directors pay up to 60 million for that their position, so they have to get it back somehow.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Principals/Directors certainty take money for entry at the big government schools. The biggest government primary school in my city has asked for anywhere between 5,000-20,000 baht to be put in an envelope if the student didn't pick the right coloured piece of paper to make the 'quota'. A work colleague was asked for 20,000 for their son, a cousin asked for 5,000 (quite intelligent). My nephew (not so intelligent) was asked for 15,000. Father-in-law (his prime carer), called another director friend of a government school to fix that, which led to the new school's director's secretary calling him and asking him to put what he thought was appropriate. A further phone call (which included the title of the father's name - ex-army) from the other director and the mentioning of the risks of asking money from him, led the new school's director personally calling the father-in-law himself and telling him his grandson was more than welcome to study at the school with no extra charge. Education isn't amazing by our standards, but it is better than the schools that people are forced to send their kids as they cant afford this initial amount. People are kidding themselves if they think the majority of government schools are any good. Results speak for themselves. 

My Thai friend calls me her younger brother and she's trying to get a job at a high school in the city because she's tired to travel for hours every day.

The school in the center of the city was asking for 400,000 baht to get her a teaching position. She really got angry said )(*(*^%$**(*(( and continued at her former school. Now she's retired, but she started to dislike her own system. 

Students who want to study at my school, a high school with the best reputation, have to pay a lot of money just to find themselves in a crowded classroom with 49 others.

Nothing goes without the director getting a piece of the cake and in certain cases also the Thai head teacher when it's related to English teaching. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've been asked for much more than that. One actually said that he'd never been to my country. 100k would cover his trip!

These directors pay up to 60 million for that their position, so they have to get it back somehow.

I think your number is a bit high. A director position at the biggest high school in my city was around 7 million baht two years ago. Considering that they want to make money when they leave, it's almost important to ask for 60 + million baht from the new director. .