Teacher stabbed in classroom as student objects to detention

Well, I'm glad the students I teach all appear to be mentally stable. What is it with Thai men and knives? As soon as their ego gets wobbled they start flashing blades around and then they run away. Do they really think they won't get caught? Are they that stupid?

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:48 PM, Aussieroaming said:

Why do you need a warrant to arrest someone for attempted murder? The crime has occured, surely it is merely a case of arresting the coward.

.…...if only life was that simple!

12 minutes ago, Cereal said:

Well, I'm glad the students I teach all appear to be mentally stable. What is it with Thai men and knives? As soon as their ego gets wobbled they start flashing blades around and then they run away. Do they really think they won't get caught? Are they that stupid?

"Are they that stupid?"

Umm..errr...is that a rhetorical question and I may plead the 5th if you press me upon it?

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2018 at 2:48 PM, Aussieroaming said:

Why do you need a warrant to arrest someone for attempted murder? The crime has occured, surely it is merely a case of arresting the coward.

There were no law enforcement officers to personally witness the crime or a detainment and arrest would have been made on the spot. 

Thai law states that there are only a few circumstances where a law enforcement officer can arrest a person without an arrest warrant such as witnessing a crime or an intended crime being committed. Thai law has to follow it's course before an arrest warrant is issued in most other matters and attempted murder not witnessed by a police officer is not one of the special circumstances on that list.

A juvenile in Thailand cannot be held accountable for their actions if they are under the age of 7 and cannot be imprisoned if they are under the age of 14.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what punishment will be forthcoming but based on your evident lack of knowledge in these matters I think my guess would be the better choice.

9 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

There were no law enforcement officers to personally witness the crime or a detainment and arrest would have been made on the spot. 

Thai law states that there are only a few circumstances where a law enforcement officer can arrest a person without an arrest warrant such as witnessing a crime or an intended crime being committed. Thai law has to follow it's course before an arrest warrant is issued in most other matters and attempted murder not witnessed by a police officer is not one of the special circumstances on that list.

A juvenile in Thailand cannot be held accountable for their actions if they are under the age of 7 and cannot be imprisoned if they are under the age of 14.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what punishment will be forthcoming but based on your evident lack of knowledge in these matters I think my guess would be the better choice.

Firstly the kid is 16, hence can be held accountable and can be sent to Juvenile Detention, as he is over 14, so not sure why you used this as part of your argument.

Secondly, based on the interpretation of warrantless arrest that I have copied below, a warrant isnt required if the offender is known to have committed the offence (clearly identified in this instance, given that he stabbed his teacher). A police officer witnessing the event is just one circumstance when an arrest can be made without a warrant, it isnt the only time when a warrantless arrest can be made. Note the specific text "there are instances when an arrest warrant need not be procured"

You are right, I dont understand the intricacies of thai law, but I would suggest that you arent a legal einstein yourself, hence don't talk yourself up too much.

When Warrantless Arrest Valid

There are instances when an arrest warrant need not be procured by the arresting officers before an arrest can be effected. These are:

• When the crime is committed in the presence of the arresting officer;
  • When a crime has just been committed and there is reason to be believe that the person to be arrested is probably guilty of committing it;
  • When the person to be arrested is a fugitive.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Firstly the kid is 16, hence can be held accountable and can be sent to Juvenile Detention, as he is over 14, so not sure why you used this as part of your argument.

Secondly, based on the interpretation of warrantless arrest that I have copied below, a warrant isnt required if the offender is known to have committed the offence (clearly identified in this instance, given that he stabbed his teacher). A police officer witnessing the event is just one circumstance when an arrest can be made without a warrant, it isnt the only time when a warrantless arrest can be made. Note the specific text "there are instances when an arrest warrant need not be procured"

You are right, I dont understand the intricacies of thai law, but I would suggest that you arent a legal einstein yourself, hence don't talk yourself up too much.

When Warrantless Arrest Valid

There are instances when an arrest warrant need not be procured by the arresting officers before an arrest can be effected. These are:

• When the crime is committed in the presence of the arresting officer;
  • When a crime has just been committed and there is reason to be believe that the person to be arrested is probably guilty of committing it;
  • When the person to be arrested is a fugitive.

Well aussie you just blew his case out the window 

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

Well aussie you just blew his case out the window 

To Aussieroaming and Happyman58

The juvenile age limits I posted were for reference as this was a post concerning a juvenile committing a crime and in context of the post.  These are FYI facts many may not be aware of in Thai law.

Your second paragraph is only some reiteration of my post only you have left out the full wording of the law when an arrest warrant is not required which leads for the intent of the law to be misinterpreted and you also left out one of the four reasons on the list.

Examples:

1st instance listed - or witnesses an intent to commit a crime.

2nd instance listed - when an immediate arrest is necessary due to a necessity or urgency of the matter while waiting for an arrest warrant to be issued if the suspect is known to have committed the crime.

3rd instance listed - fugitive from bail.

4th instance was not listed.

Puts a new light on the subject doesn't it?  I can only make assumptions that you were making assumptions of the authority's need of a decission being made to bypass the normal necessity for an arrest warrant as this case in your opinion warranted the special circumstances for an immediate arrest to be made without an arrest warrant.

The Thai police do not make it a habit of making many arrests without an arrest warrant and  usually like a lot of photo opps when executing the arrest warrant.  The police often give a suspect, or in this case a witnessed juvinile offender, the opportunity to go to the police station to save face from being arrested in public.  There has even been reports of some Thais requesting more time before they report to the station.

I would hope that the authorities would give that same opportunity to the parents (or legal gaurdians) of the juvenile who were maybe not aware of his crime or his anger issues to bring him in, but evidently you do not.  Let's at least give the parents the opportunity to save a little face and do the right thing without making a public circus out of the event. They have giving panther killers these opportunities.

And, what have the previous  punishments been dealt out for a Thai knifing another Thai?  Does not seem to be an immediate or special need does it?   After all, it has not been determined that this was anything other than an assault with a deadly weapon.  You assumed that the charge would be attempted murder.  Without an arrest warrant being issued we just do not know what the charge is.  Another reason to have an arrest warrant is the specificity of the charge warranting an arrest.

And no I am not a genius in Thai law but I do understand quite a bit of law and do not rely on selective copy and paste to justify my opinions especially from the site that you obviously used which has a tendency to overly summarize and generalize the law to protect their firm from lawsuits.

On 5/21/2018 at 9:17 AM, Cereal said:

Quite certainly, yes to both!!!!!!  However that is based on the concept that rational thought even occurred.   However I think it is evidence of a mind so immature, or alternatively so disturbed by paranoia that all that registers is "I have been offended!    Important ME!!! has been slighted!!!"     And then the knife which is habitually carried to deal with such flashes of affront to the ego, automatically comes out.   related paranoias include  "Do you know who I am?"   and of course, road rage which are also not exclusive to LOS when so called normal people flip out with untypical rage.    It just seems that Thailand has a disproportionate incidence of such paranoia attacks.  It is likely that many of these uncontrolled rage attacks are caused by the abuse of crystal methamphetamines or Ya Ba which is almost pandemic in Thai society.  It would have been interesting to have had the 16 y.o. lad pee into a bottle the day this happened.  Maybe no one wanted to do that for some reason!!!

This is the reason why we foreigners must be very careful in disagreements with upset Thais.  The common use of Ya Ba means we can never know what response to expect.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 12:22 PM, The Deerhunter said:

False sense of entitlement ( to misbehave, disobey  and not do his schoolwork)  And false sense of self importance that his behaviour was acceptable or at least justifiable.  Another uneducated ego driven adult Thai male obviously just passed his finishing school test.  Welcome to our community (NOT.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Police are seeking a warrant for his arrest.   Why not just ask him to pop into the station when convenient next time he is passing?  That seems to be the usual weird system.

Whereas you are a perfectly balanced happy individual with no axes to grind whatsoever who just adores living in his new country

Many on here portraying this horrible incident as being typical of thai males should take a long hard look .

Knife crime in thailand is a fraction of what it is in england and the usa.

I dont see the xenophobic condemnation of the males of those countries in your posts.

4 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Many on here portraying this horrible incident as being typical of thai males should take a long hard look .

Knife crime in thailand is a fraction of what it is in england and the usa.

I dont see the xenophobic condemnation of the males of those countries in your posts.

I have never lived in either of them  But I well understand the dynamics.  

4 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Whereas you are a perfectly balanced happy individual with no axes to grind whatsoever who just adores living in his new country

For the record, I mostly enjoy living in Thailand, but there are things to watch out for. 

Which country do you live in?  My new country, but yours????  Do you actually know enough about Thailand to post on such issues?  Your avatar indicates you may be a Thiai resident but, are you?

We are not talking just about knife crime here.  We are talking about general Thai male attitudes.     Ego driven, self entitled, (Do you know who I am? type) male lack of responsibility is a major problem in this country, much accentuated by the almost endemic use of Ya Ba which is notorious world wide for producing violent and murderous rages.  And by no means restricted to knives.  Thai male driving is also appalling (which you would know if you lived or drove here), and probably kills more than knives.  This also is certainly connected with Amphetamine fueled road rage.

I have not seen recent comparisons on a per-capita basis between U.K., U.S.A. and Thailand.

Post the statistics you quote or the links clearly showing them if you have seen them.   As for my own state of mind I see no likely-hood of ever going off the deep end like that.  But I do know enough to be very careful handling the many Thais i meet on a daily basis.  I also note that the Aussie stabbed in Walking Street recently was stabbed by an Israeli,  Just to save you mentioning it.    People carrying weapons into a bar are trouble, to start with.  A lot of that is done here by locals, but this time it was not a local.

Edited by The Deerhunter