Moved from Thailand to Big Island of Hawaii

ev1lchris

Has anyone ever had to move from Southeast Asia to Hawaii?

I ask because I want to know I'm alone in thinking it's absolutely horrible and boring.  I know most people think it's fun in the sun and surfing.  The reality is that it's overcast and rainy most of the time, even during the summer.  The beaches have rocks instead of sand which kind of ruins it.  A good chunk of the people here are idiot loser meth heads.  The women are not as attractive as those in SE Asia, plus there's less of them.

I've been here almost two years and I have just been working on finding a way to go back to Thailand permanently.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The food, oh the food. Hawaiian quisine ( if you can call it that) pales to Thai food. It is all carb and fat laden and lacks the pizzazz and appeal of Thai food. Dining in Hawaii has mostly left me with a feeling of meh.

I think it all depends on the individual and to a large degree, do they take full advantage of where they happen to be.

I come from Hawai’i, and IMHO, it’s far from boring... but I do think that given the small general geographic size, you’ve got to be willing to go outside of your comfort zone and find and explore... Also I think if you’re not a honest “water” and/or “outdoor nature” person (beach, swimming, fishing, etc) then a pretty big part of the attraction to living in Hawai’i will be lost on you.

As for the food, I agree that some can be rather unhealthy - but like most all cuisines, there are also healthy and quite tasty options as well... you’ve just got to get out and find them... sure, I love a Rainbow mix plate as much as the next guy,  but my diet isn’t based on it, rather more on fresh grilled, steamed or even broiled fresh fish, chicken and lean pork and to that end, I can’t say that from a cuisine perspective, I feel I’m lacking to any degree.

18 minutes ago, milwaukeeboy said:

Actually, I find the Philippines to be the "Poor man's Hawaii."

And there are literally SCADS of lovelies there who are willing, nay, desperate to mingle.

But only if you later take the whole family back to your country. The buffalo in Isaan is the speedboat in the Philippines. 

Went to Maui once a a Sales "Club Trip" with the Software company I was working with at the time.

The island was beautiful and they do actually have sandy beaches there, but the food away from the Hotel was bland, high fat typical USA Holiday Resort Junk and the local women were mostly on the plumper side and where I was staying was very upmarket so didn't get to see any "Professional Ladies" as such..

The weather on Maui is very similar to Samui.

Everything is really expensive...about double LA prices.....so Quadruple Samui prices and the housing costs are enormous....so think I'll stay in Thailand for a while before I think about going back there.

1 hour ago, milwaukeeboy said:

Actually, I find the Philippines to be the "Poor man's Hawaii."

And there are literally SCADS of lovelies there who are willing, nay, desperate to mingle.

You're quite correct...Lots of beautiful places in the Philippines, and most of the people wonderfully friendly..... and amazing women...

... except the Phil has a few more dangerous criminals who will kill you for a few bucks... (lots of handguns in the hands of criminals. Even some "underground" handgun manufacturers for the black market.) 

...and in some places groups like ISIS/Abu Sayyaf and other Islamic violent groups and also N.P.A. 

... and the food is very fattening and nothing like good Thai food.  And, although there are lots of exceptions, most Filipinas tend to start to get fat in their twenties or thirties...  Huge stomachs and what we used to call  "thunder thighs". 

24 minutes ago, Deli said:

I would appreciate the civilization...roads, cars, hospitals, internet, no language problems, climate, no corrupt police... But just can't afford it.

Lot of us farangs who stick to places like southeast Asia and India and other places where you can live good with lots less money. I can't afford Europe, Hawaii, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan.  

Places like Thailand, Cambodia, India... much more to my liking. (I love Thailand and Cambodia. Haven't spent time in India yet...  but soon... very soon.  The Buddhist pilgrimage sites.... Nepal and India.  Who knows ? ?... I might just stay.) 

I might spent some time also in Myanmar. Your not alone. 

what did you expect? Its an island and one soon get bored. Hawaii use to be one of my district, which I would fly to once a month. many people made the move permanently and later regretted it. The locals told me that maybe one out of a thousand people would stay more than a year. It's like Singapore after you been there for a while, BORING AS HELL.

My family had a holiday home at Kona on the Big Island and spent our Summers there for 7 years in a row (back when I was a kid).   I have very fond memories of staying there and also visiting the other islands.  I'm sure the place has changed, and like everywhere it won't be for the better.   

I remember our first family holidays in Phuket and Pattaya (40 years ago roughly).  They were awesome holidays back then.  

I agree with Mario.  I attended an all-expenses-paid medical conference, stayed in Oahu and Maui for a week, and still couldn't wait to leave?  No birds, ridiculous prices (even though I wasn't paying), and watching the sunset with 300 Japanese newlyweds (even tried to get a stray dog to join me, but he ran), was not for me.

If you can afford Hawaii then you can live anywhere, so what is keeping you there?  I consider myself to be an island person and have lived throughout the Caribbean and now on Samui.  You need to itemize your priorities.  The most important thing for me is live on a beautiful island, with plenty of available young and attractive women, and a reasonable cost of living.

Here we have an honest John for a change.

For all you grizzlies out there who moan about everything in Thailand,,,,, take heed

The grass is not that green on the other side of the fence & if comparing to a cold climate 

& not reasonably wealthy,,,,, monies have to be spent on warm cloths & heating which eats into the

"love train" budget a bit

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

You're quite correct...Lots of beautiful places in the Philippines, and most of the people wonderfully friendly..... and amazing women...

... except the Phil has a few more dangerous criminals who will kill you for a few bucks... (lots of handguns in the hands of criminals. Even some "underground" handgun manufacturers for the black market.) 

...and in some places groups like ISIS/Abu Sayyaf and other Islamic violent groups and also N.P.A. 

... and the food is very fattening and nothing like good Thai food.  And, although there are lots of exceptions, most Filipinas tend to start to get fat in their twenties or thirties...  Huge stomachs and what we used to call  "thunder thighs". 

While some of what you say is true, others are well . . .

I agree there are many more beautiful beaches, mountains, islands. Filipino women are delightful, and seem to be less money-grubbing than the Thais. I tended to lose weight in the PI because of the local food, but Western food is plentiful and cheaper there. Alcohol is absolutely cheap; San Miguel is still about B20/bottle and Tanduay 15 year is a very good sipping rum, for about B180.

Islamic terrorism is available with or without request, but like Thailand's, it is primarily in the South--as they say, nothing like the smell of cordite in the morning.

Obesity in Southeast Asia--Thailand is second, Philippines is fourth https://www.thailand-business-news.com/asean/49065-thailand-ranks-second-asean-prevalence-obesity-mcot-net.html

Gun proliferation in Southeast Asia--" Thailand has the highest reported rate of gun-related deaths in Southeast Asia - almost 50 percent more gun homicides than the Philippines." http://www.dw.com/en/a-look-at-thailands-fervent-gun-culture/a-19060721

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

While some of what you say is true, others are well . . .

I agree there are many more beautiful beaches, mountains, islands. Filipino women are delightful, and seem to be less money-grubbing than the Thais. I tended to lose weight in the PI because of the local food, but Western food is plentiful and cheaper there. Alcohol is absolutely cheap; San Miguel is still about B20/bottle and Tanduay 15 year is a very good sipping rum, for about B180.

Islamic terrorism is available with or without request, but like Thailand's, it is primarily in the South--as they say, nothing like the smell of cordite in the morning.

Obesity in Southeast Asia--Thailand is second, Philippines is fourth https://www.thailand-business-news.com/asean/49065-thailand-ranks-second-asean-prevalence-obesity-mcot-net.html

Gun proliferation in Southeast Asia--" Thailand has the highest reported rate of gun-related deaths in Southeast Asia - almost 50 percent more gun homicides than the Philippines." http://www.dw.com/en/a-look-at-thailands-fervent-gun-culture/a-19060721

I've heard horror stories about their food, the recycled chicken, etc..and considering the drug policy where a "misfired bullet" could kill you, no matter if it comes from a cop or a criminal, I'd think twice to settle down there. 

Obesity seems to be an SEA phenomenon, of course coming with all the junk food from the States. It's always bad to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, no matter where. 

2 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Went to Maui once a a Sales "Club Trip" with the Software company I was working with at the time.

The island was beautiful and they do actually have sandy beaches there, but the food away from the Hotel was bland, high fat typical USA Holiday Resort Junk and the local women were mostly on the plumper side and where I was staying was very upmarket so didn't get to see any "Professional Ladies" as such..

The weather on Maui is very similar to Samui.

Everything is really expensive...about double LA prices.....so Quadruple Samui prices and the housing costs are enormous....so think I'll stay in Thailand for a while before I think about going back there.

And not to mention traffic jams on Maui with single roads in an out of Waikiki (sp)

22 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I've lived in Thailand, the Philippines and in Hawaii. There is really no comparison between Hawaii and the other two for most expat desires; like cost of living, women, and slower lifestyle. 

Why did you end up in Thailand and not the Philippines?  

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

Obviously this guy didn't bother to do his homework. A feasibility study would have highlighted the problems he has encountered and he could have stayed with the 3rd world living standards and corruption!

Archived