Moved from Thailand to Big Island of Hawaii

ev1lchris

Kaui has fantastic beaches, friendly small towns, epic scenery. Not much nightlife, so you can afford the food, especially if you or a neighbor reeled them in. "South Pacific", "Blue Hawaii", and "Lord of the Flies" filmed there. No terrorists, no marching hoards of Chinese tourists. Not as hot as Thailand. Relax and enjoy life. It's a short hop to Honolulu if you crave more.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

Kaui has fantastic beaches, friendly small towns, epic scenery. Not much nightlife, so you can afford the food, especially if you or a neighbor reeled them in. "South Pacific", "Blue Hawaii", and "Lord of the Flies" filmed there. No terrorists, no marching hoards of Chinese tourists. Not as hot as Thailand. Relax and enjoy life. It's a short hop to Honolulu if you crave more.

Beautiful, Boring & Expensive.

• You never said what took you to Hawai'i in the first place, why did you move??
  • Methheads??  if you mean the homeless 'mainlanders' on Oahu, they have dwindled in past few years, they have been deported back to mainland, got a few thousands to go though.
  • Expensive??  When you're a local haouli its not so expensive, I would compare it to Hiso Bangkok.  If you are a senior citizen their are many perks - I pay $30  a year, and can ride any local bus on any Island, 24/7, even inner city bses, many restaraunts offer citizen over 55 menu's, Hotels offer Kamaiiana prices, I have stayed in $200 a day hotel rooms on Waikiki for $68 a day.
  • AirBnB has many, many very affordable places for monthly rentals.
  • Try renting a car in Thailand - I rent a mid-size car for around $120 a week (around 4000 baht).....a compact goes about $75 a week.
  • I have a 3 bed Condo in Waipahu, US Navy rents it so I get income from that - guess what??  I only paid $165K for it 8 years ago - thats a little over 5.2 Million baht.  My condo  would be about 10 Mill. baht in Pattaya.
  • Get out of Waikiki, and Hawai'i is very affordable, more expensive in San Francisco, Denver and WashDC.  
  • The state of Hawai'i does not tax any of my retirement income, only any money I earn in the state.
  • I live part time in Hawaii,Thailand and Vietnam - each has its good and bad.........It took you two years to bitch about Hawai'i ???   What didyou expect??  Pattaya, Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy???  You won;t find any of that in the entire USA, and most of the World.

Was stationed on Honolulu early 70s hated it but mostly due to no money in military as low of ranked grunt. Last year of duty was Ok 3 or 4 of use renewed a big house on the North shore.

Never visited other islands due to lack of funds. 

Some 20 year later I took a holiday to most the islands with only land and transfers in Honolulu as it’s similar to many big cities traffic etc. 

Maui nice a mix of some nightlife also quiet.  Went on dive tour snorkel /mask /fins others available to half moon crater Spectacular blue water / scenery. Road to Hana awesome but very windy roads

Kaui nice but really quiet at night with not much nightlife. Good switch in pace. 

Big Island - wife birthday thought I’d make it special rent Jeep go around the island and helicopter tour. half way around she “I’m not happy”boring so caught a flight back on the half way point to Maui. 

Didn't get a true feel of what was available. 

Thailand Phi Phi Island - beautiful and been several times since. Didn’t see the town didn’t know there was one..... made it nice. Hotel was internet pay as you go hourly in lobby which was great. I’m a work alcoholic and right wad on some things. Limited it to work 1 hour a day early and didn’t think of work until next morning. Snorkeling very nice beautiful area with lots of day time activities 

Xiamen China’s Hawaii - lived there 10 and laughed every time I heard that phrase and shook my head. Born in Miami, lived in S.California near ocean, stationed in Hawaii and visited Thailand Phi Phi island......

Xiamen Chinas Hawaii NO.

Me and the ex Mrs went there once to visit some friends, he was an F16 pilot, his father had his own twin engine 6 seater plane which we went Whale watching in, also flew over that island that used to be inhabited by victims of Leprosy, and what's the name of that sandbank that appears at low tide in the middle of the ocean ? 

I enjoyed it, but 3 weeks was a holiday, dunno about living there though, better than London I think :biggrin: 

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I've heard horror stories about their food, the recycled chicken, etc..and considering the drug policy where a "misfired bullet" could kill you, no matter if it comes from a cop or a criminal, I'd think twice to settle down there. 

Obesity seems to be an SEA phenomenon, of course coming with all the junk food from the States. It's always bad to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, no matter where. 

I've lived on several of the islands for more than ten years and tasted most of their food. Never got food poisoning there; had it twice here, go figure. While it is true Filipino food lacks imagination; there are some good dishes--I like sisig, bulalo, pinakbet and a morning favorite, refrying last night's left-over rice with garlic, tocino, egg and a left-over from the Spanish, pan de sol.

As my previous post said, "Thailand has the highest reported rate of gun-related deaths in Southeast Asia - almost 50 percent more gun homicides than the Philippines."

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Why did you end up in Thailand and not the Philippines?  

Well, hopefully, I haven't ended-up here. I do like the PI, but the infrastructure here is much better. However, Thailand has about reached its limit with me. I will no doubt end-up in the PI; since my wife is a citizen, I can get no hassle visas, or even residency with national health care. And, after 40 years of marriage, I have a great family of in-laws who do not expect me to support them.

You can do much more of the same thing in Hawaii that you can do in Thailand  ,more safely ,without some Bib or official interference and without the chance of some of the low lives being around you . IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF MONEY. Thailand and The PI is for the rest of us ,so here we stay. Aloha

Are you thai? If not why does thai killing thai effect you unless you're the very sensative type.

I've lived on several of the islands for more than ten years and tasted most of their food. Never got food poisoning there; had it twice here, go figure. While it is true Filipino food lacks imagination; there are some good dishes--I like sisig, bulalo, pinakbet and a morning favorite, refrying last night's left-over rice with garlic, tocino, egg and a left-over from the Spanish, pan de sol.

As my previous post said, "Thailand has the highest reported rate of gun-related deaths in Southeast Asia - almost 50 percent more gun homicides than the Philippines."
13 minutes ago, jakethepeg said:

Are you thai? If not why does thai killing thai effect you unless you're the very sensative type.

I think you are as wrong with the buttons you pushed to connect my post to this comment as you are with your statements, insinuations, and written English. On the contrary, I believe if anyone killing anyone doesn't affect you; then, you are a very crass type.

Moved here from Maui about 7 years ago. I have not regretted it in the least. Lived up in Makawao, just below Kula for 5 yrs. It is absolutely beautiful, but as stated in earlier posts, the cost of living in "paradise" is 3-4 times the cost of living here in the LOS. Believe it or not, the locals here are way more friendly. The beaches in HI are beautiful, and secluded ones can be found if you look. The locals will not tell you where they are. Spent considerable time on the Big Island & found the Kona side to be much more to my liking, drier, more sun. But there is no comparison as to the ladies. Thailand has them beat hands down. 

2 hours ago, sirineou said:
2 hours ago, baansgr said:

I have a few  friends there and they say the Japaneese  women are the best and abundant on Hawaii 

With posts like this I am not surprised you have few friends:tongue:

while living in hawaii i dated japanese tourists. very nice girls, open mind, not afraid of getting out of the shade and swimming or surfing and financially independent.

korean transplants also ok

hawaii (oahu) has tons of good food. chinatown, korean restaurants, thai food, the big slice of pizza at cosco for 45 baht and 15 baht soft drink with refills.

If you went to Hawaii from Thailand expecting good Thai food you wasted your money. Hawaiian food has been so Americanized it is hardly recognizable but true Hawaiian food can be found. Polynesian food is very good, a bit high in calories though. On the main island of Oahu the sand is perfect and there are showers which may last a half hour or so. Hence all the green grass and abundant fruit and vegetation. The ladies are beautiful as well. I'm in the great state of North Carolina so I am only speaking from experience.

6 hours ago, atyclb said:

while living in hawaii i dated japanese tourists. very nice girls, open mind, not afraid of getting out of the shade and swimming or surfing and financially independent.

korean transplants also ok

hawaii (oahu) has tons of good food. chinatown, korean restaurants, thai food, the big slice of pizza at cosco for 45 baht and 15 baht soft drink with refills.

I’ve never been to Hawaii, but of course it is one of the States with higher living cost than CA. 

There are many beautiful places on Earth, but why we picked Thailand ? Definitely we found it the best answer for our needs. 

Although I had been all over Southeast Asia my first visit to Thailand was an eye opener.  It was only after several more trips that the true Thailand was exposed to me by my new Thai friends.  Like Hawaii, over development is destroying both the environment and the culture.

Every year my wife and I go back to Thailand to visit her family and friends.  Both of us are sad to see that corruption and unchecked development is getting worse.  While the Big Island of Hawaii is not really paradise it is where my family have lived for generations.  We live comfortably in a rural part of the island in a community that is still trying to hang on to traditional values.  Where family and neighbors share fruits and vegetables from their gardens and, fish from the ocean and game from the forest.

To cope with expensive housing we help each other in the construction of their first home.  My wife enjoys this lifestyle and has adjusted well.  Her friends are multi-ethnic and she has learned to eat all the different foods that are offered to her.

This is our choice.

30 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

There must be 50 ways to leave your lava ? 

Hawaii is not much different than other locations around the world that have to deal with active volcanoes such as the Philippines, Japan and Indonesia.  We happen to live in an older geological area of the island that is relatively safe from lava flows.  The present activity is located in one of Kilauea's two rift zones which is around six miles wide and extends from the summit to the ocean.  Anyone living in this hazard area knows the risks.

The local authorities have years of experience in dealing with this kind of disaster and had a heads up from the volcano scientists who warned of a possible outbreak.

4 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Well you could always move to Hawaii looking for the Grace Park-type but she is really Korean (family) so now I've just decided to learn Hangul instead

Image result for Grace Park

i will be vilified and misunderstood if i say women had zero to do with living in Hawaii. was about waves  

4 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Sure but a girl with Ms. Park's obvious attributes would be totally off the radar for an older guy like me in Hawaii while -- especially if the Thai girl does not speak English -- such is not the case for me in Thailand.

Last year we moved from Maui to Thailand.  Much of it was due to my particular circumstances, but Thailand is much better for us.  We lived on Maui for 4 years and built a house on the West side.  My wife is Thai and didn't like it at all.  It took us most of the day to shop for food, going to 5 or 6 places to get what we wanted, if it was available.  There is one highway to the West side which is jammed with traffic most of the day.  My wife refused to go back to any of the Thai restaurants on the island, and we tried them all.  The staff usually cook for themselves rather than eat the expensive westernized Thai food.  Many of the hundred or so Thai women on the island were into gambling and drinking, which didn't suit us, so my wife felt isolated.  The cost of living is very high, i.e. $25/hr for a maid, $80/hr for an electrician.  Healthcare on Maui is pretty bad.  The last straw were the wild pigs and fire ants - I'll tell you about them sometime...  In Thailand, services are much better and way cheaper, and our lifestyle is much better, in spite of it being a developing country, with all of the attendant problems.  Hawaii is a beautiful place with weather about as perfect as you can find on this planet, but as it's said, living there is quite different from visiting.

Wow, quite a response.

I live on the Big Island in a town called Keaau which is 30 minutes drive time away from Hilo.  It really upsets me when people call "Hilo" the real Hawaii because I think the city and this particular island are really shitty.

There are not a lot of attractive Japanese women, or any other women of that kind.  The other day I was coming out of Taco Bell and I was watching this huge fat woman vape and blow her smoke up in the air and though of how she looked like a giant fat dumb ass dragon.  Those are the women here.

I'm living at my mommy's rent free so for me it's cheaper than Thailand.

I don't find the people here friendly and especially not when you compare them to the Thai.  I think a lot of people here are frustrated and angry and don't like people coming to "their island."  Just what you would expect from a colonized culture.

There is little to no nightlife.  I imagine it's different in Kona.

A lot of the natives are addicted to meth.  If you Google search the statistics you can find multiple sources saying it's four times the national USA average.

Right now I'm in an Information Technology program so that someday I can work remotely from Asia and live there on a more permanent basis. 

I have a few  friends there and they say the Japaneese  women are the best and abundant on Hawaii 

True. My count was 13 in 12 years not even trying. A few while hubby was at Golf/meetings. In LA or Chiang Mai they won’t give you the time of day, a different crowd. Turned down a few too I wouldn’t do a woman while a small child is sleeping in the same room.

That would be wrong.

Archived