DLT used car transfer advice please.

dallen52

Been asked before im sure. 

Please redirect if needed. 

Went to DLT outskirts of Pattaya with the seller and car.

All the paperwork to enable the transfer.

Over the pits in ten minutes.

No problems. 

Seller takes me to an agent straight up. 

Bkk registered car so told it needs new plates. 

Sports model fiesta with black roof and red body. 2013 275,000 baht.

So also told it needs recording in the Blue book. ?? Two colours. 

5200 baht and four to five weeks to do, because it has to go to Bangkok and then to Chonburi aka new plates and location. 

I have the receipt for the transfer.

Contacted the agent today for updates. 

Still happening she says... five weeks so far.

Car has first class and compulsory insurance cover and registered until December 2018.. plus road tax all good.

All still valid, but in the original owners name in Bangkok. 

And yes it has the Ford DCT issue.

Which I'm  confident will be rectified at no cost to me.

Back to Top Ford Pattaya.

The guy did NOT give me a receipt. 

Was to do. But hasnt.

It looks like he genuinely bought it and struck strife.

Needed to sell.

But NEVER put it in his name. 

Several months he had it.

I have the car and all keys and paperwork. 

Transfer is happening. 

All insurances are still active.

Apart from the seller refusing to return calls and send a receipt. 

Should i be worried ?

I was contemplating contacting the police.

But there is no free feed in this for them...

Sent from my SM-T555 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, topt said:

I am curious why you would buy a car from someone who's name is not in the blue book - so does not really own it?

Basically. 

He bought it.

Has all the paperwork for transfer including blue book. 

Original owners i.d and details. 

Power of attorney etc.

I think he was a bit lax transfer wise to his name.

His Thai lady got sick and he needs money. Operations. 

I know we have heard it before..

He did the transfer and took me to DLT, before I had paid him.

Over the pits etc.

I have the transfer agents details and she is contactable.

We spoke a few days ago. 

Its two colours and the book says one.

This Also needs fixing up.

I even contacted the insurance company. 

Its all legit so far...

Im just not sure how long a transfer should take?

And what is a reasonable price. 

Plus it was in the songkran holidays too.

I feel like i want to stiff him.

Because of the receipt thing.

And he not returning my calls. 

He advertised it as a 1.6 litre and it's a 1.5 litre.

I did see the same car advertised around Jan or Feb. 

So its ringing pretty true.

His story. 

He never transferred to his name.

Where the previous owners both foreigners ?
Maybe the agent is having some bureaucratic paperwork issues,or they are just waiting to get some other customers lined up to save trips to the DLT.

You could have gone yourself to the main Department of Land Transportation in Chonburi (near the army base 60 KM outside Pattaya) not the one near Regents School in Banglamung/Pattaya...they would have "moved" the vehicle to Chonburi province and updated blue book but you would (normally) have to go back and get number plates later so at least 2 trips.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johng said:

Where the previous owners both foreigners ?
Maybe the agent is having some bureaucratic paperwork issues,or they are just waiting to get some other customers lined up to save trips to the DLT.

You could have gone yourself to the main Department of Land Transportation in Chonburi (near the army base 60 KM outside Pattaya) not the one near Regents School in Banglamung/Pattaya...they would have "moved" the vehicle to Chonburi province and updated blue book but you would (normally) have to go back and get number plates later so at least 2 trips.

Originally a thai lady. 

Owned.

Bangkok.

I still gave copy of her i.d. 

This chap is Croat. 

I saw the same car Feb and it looked schmick. Impressive. 

I think he bought.

Knew he needed to offload and kept it as one owner in the blue book.

So with the sports pack black roof and red body, and bkk plates.

Songkran. Etc.

Im really hoping its genuine. 

Two colours now need to be added to the blue book.

The price, features, tyres, full leather etc. Crash cam and gps. 

I'm hoping that I'm on the right end of a good deal. lol

Ford is even doing the DCT issue free of charge..

Just taking a little longer than planned. 

20180505_194209.jpg

Ok if the original owner was Thai then fingers crossed the blue book should be back in your name quite soon...sometimes the agents are slow 5 weeks quite slow but still within limits..I would hold till max 8 weeks thats well long enough, no excuses after that.

I bought a BKK plate car before, and the seller (car tent in BKK) took care of the transfer to my name (my name in book). No plate change at the time. I drove a year no issues.

However, when I had to do the annual tax, I was told can not do as transfer not complete, I was puzzled (as were some locals I asked about what it is about). Turned out that only half of the required cross-province transfer process had been done by seller (farang need to have plates from province where residence, thais not thats why thais puzzled). Had to do the 2nd part i.e get chonburi plates prior to being able to do the tax.

This second part of process alone took about a month for me, taken care of local (professional) agent. And no color or other changes, just the plate change for car that I already had in my name.

So it seems these processes here indeed are VERY slow...if all paperwork good, I would not be surprised even if would take 2mo, esp if agent on sloppy side.

On 5/20/2018 at 8:00 PM, mran66 said:

I bought a BKK plate car before, and the seller (car tent in BKK) took care of the transfer to my name (my name in book). No plate change at the time. I drove a year no issues.

However, when I had to do the annual tax, I was told can not do as transfer not complete, I was puzzled (as were some locals I asked about what it is about). Turned out that only half of the required cross-province transfer process had been done by seller (farang need to have plates from province where residence, thais not thats why thais puzzled). Had to do the 2nd part i.e get chonburi plates prior to being able to do the tax.

This second part of process alone took about a month for me, taken care of local (professional) agent. And no color or other changes, just the plate change for car that I already had in my name.

So it seems these processes here indeed are VERY slow...if all paperwork good, I would not be surprised even if would take 2mo, esp if agent on sloppy side.

Gives me a warmer feeling. Thanks. 

A Swiss friend's boasts about still have bkk plates on his Jazz. 

Maybe short lived.

Plus its bumblebee yellow and black plus carbon fibre wrap, may mean he is up for extra money and work too.

At registration renewal time.

I know that the colour thing is new. 

Just the toe rag not sending me the receipt now... ?

On 5/20/2018 at 12:51 PM, johng said:

In my case I got the plates there and then and had to go back for the blue book a few days later.

Also had to go to where the car was originally registered to get paperwork from them to give to Chonburi office.

7 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Mine took a day, with the same problems the OP had of 'owner' name not in the blue book and plate transfer from a different province.

Mine was 4 days (inc weekened) car on BKK plates and could not put in my name (chonburi province) so the agent at DLT Pattaya sorted it for me........IF however I was a thai national then I could have kept the BKK plates but paperwork would have taken 8-10 days.

As I said earlier FIVE weeks sounds fishy BUT hopefully all will come good :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 6:30 PM, petermik said:

Mine was 4 days (inc weekened) car on BKK plates and could not put in my name (chonburi province) so the agent at DLT Pattaya sorted it for me........IF however I was a thai national then I could have kept the BKK plates but paperwork would have taken 8-10 days.

As I said earlier FIVE weeks sounds fishy BUT hopefully all will come good :thumbsup:

Came good.

Eight weeks.

Blue book done.

New plates and windscreen label issued. 

Black roof added.

Eight weeks was a long time... lol.