Water spout off Jomtien

wpcoe

Right after I posted (about a half hour ago) distant thunder started rumbling, and now that dark cloud mass has moved north, looks like maybe bypassing Pattaya and heading to Wong Amat area?

As @johng posted, dark clouds are approaching NaJomtien and Jomtien, but they are a different system.  The weather here can turn on a dime.

I forgot to mention in the first post that when that water spout started descending, there were *two* beginning but only the one in the photo continued to make it.  The second one never got even half way to the surface.

@ThaiBob:  Thanks.  *Great* pics!  I struggled to get any sort of image with my iPhone's camera.  How far off shore would you say it was?

1 hour ago, champers said:

Some great pics and vid, but can anyone explain this phenomenom to this interested ignoramus, please?

Much the same mechanism as required for a tornado. Convective clouds (storm type) with strong up and down currents. Difference is one of scale mainly.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Some friend with a device connected to the internet could teach how to google and look stuff up.

Apparently Amazon are selling them but I am none the wiser.

I showed my wife the photos and she said their name in Thai (as stated above) and then she said  "oh I'm afraid" and shivered.  (Me thinking, I guess we'll be going to make tombun at the Temple soon), I asked her "so you're not afraid"?  She said "far, far, never mind".   (Not thinking, I asked her "so we're not going to Temple soon")?  She said  "we go, we go" and she pointed towards a nearby Temple.  We're in an Udon Thani hotel this morning for a couple of days visit and it probably can't wait until we get back home.  I should have just kept my mouth shut instead of trying to be a smart @$$.  Thainess-farangness.

Oh well, I have not been to this Temple before.  What are the chances that she will forget, none, it's starting to thunder a little.  If it starts pouring down rain when we leave the hotel there is a good chance she will say "never mind".  You never know minute by minute married to a Thai.

On 5/21/2018 at 3:48 PM, Belzybob said:

Much the same mechanism as required for a tornado. Convective clouds (storm type) with strong up and down currents. Difference is one of scale mainly.

A bit different to a super-cell tornado.  These form in land areas like the US midwest where huge cold air masses from the north meet with warm most air from the south.  Hardly the case in a Thailand waterspout.

Edited by norrska

2 hours ago, norrska said:

A bit different to a super-cell tornado.  These form in land areas like the US midwest where huge cold air masses from the north meet with warm most air from the south.  Hardly the case in a Thailand waterspout.

Hence my comment on scale......