New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

geovalin

After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty of Cambodia”.

Called the Cambodian Democracy Act of 2018, HR5754, and introduced on Thursday, the legislation would freeze assets, restrict all financial transactions with the US, and deny entry into the US all senior Cambodian government, military and security officials who US President Donald Trump determines have “directly and substantially undermined democracy in Cambodia”.

read more https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/new-us-bill-violation-cambodian-independence

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 22/05

my question is... why hasn't the us done this to Thailand as well? Seems to me that the US wants democracy yet believes the yearly statements about elections in thailand being delayed always.. using some excuse or another... Don't misunderstand.. I could care less about if Thailand is run by the army or a democratically elected official.. Just curious why the USA cares so much about it in Cambodia and not care about it in Thailand 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

my question is... why hasn't the us done this to Thailand as well? Seems to me that the US wants democracy yet believes the yearly statements about elections in thailand being delayed always.. using some excuse or another... Don't misunderstand.. I could care less about if Thailand is run by the army or a democratically elected official.. Just curious why the USA cares so much about it in Cambodia and not care about it in Thailand 

Lobbying from Cambodian- Americans.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:11 AM, thesetat2013 said:

its a bit late in Thailand, its a full on (guess i cant say),  cambodia is too but its still having pretend elections and things so I guess theres a chance. but who knows